Easter Eggs for Civ IV, Warlords, and BtS

Thanks Mango, heres a full list.
In the cultural victory cutscene, the Colossus' face appears to be a composite of Sid Meier.

In the video for the Space Victory, the figure that jumps down resembles CEO Nwabudike Morgan from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

In the popup which tells the player that they have reached the Modern Age, there is a digital watch with the brand name Soren. This is a reference to Soren Johnson, the lead designer and AI programmer for the game. The time shown on the watch is 05:23, and Soren's birthday is May 23 (05/23).

The Firaxis logo is the artwork on the sails of workboats.

When zoomed close to an American city, fifes and drums can be heard playing The US Marine Corp's Hymn. The sequence is a remake from another Sid Meier game, Colonization.

When zoomed close to a German city, one could hear a music titled "Funeral March" in Civilization II. In that game, the song is played when a civilization is destroyed by another civilization.

In a reference to an apocryphal Al Gore quotation, the former Vice President's face is featured in the graphic for The Internet Project.

When the player is at war with France against Louis XIV and he refuses an offer to end the war, he would occasionally say, "It is too late for peace, you silly (your nation here)! Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"
This is referring to the French Taunters in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

It's even made more evident if the player uses English civilization, since in the movie the French Taunters also said "Silly English K-nnnigets."

When the player is at war with America against Roosevelt and he refuses an offer to end the war, he occasionally says, "America does not negotiate with terrorists."

Elvis Presley has had some form of appearance in every Civilization title so far: in Civilization IV, the clothes of the Great Artist units, from the Industrial to the Modern Ages, and the "Rock and Roll" wonder are tributes to him.

When starting or loading a game hints will pop up in the bottom of the screen. One such hint is "Never start a land war in Asia." This is a quote from The Princess Bride by the Sicilian, Vizzini, based on Douglas MacArthur's advice to President John F. Kennedy. Another is, "Snacks are good in moderation." And another includes: "Never bring a sword to a gunfight".

When selecting what size and style of map a player wants to use in a new game, a globe with seemingly random land masses rotates in a space within the selection window. The globe is actually an upside-down planet Earth with oceans in the shape of earth's continents.

When the player builds a theatre in a city, the music played is borrowed from Sid Meier's Pirates! (2004), where the player dances with the Governor's daughter in a lavishly decorated ballroom.

In the movie for the Hollywood wonder, the blueprints include a picture of Clara Bow and a Hollywood Walk of Fame star for Hoot Gibson.

When a player makes a decision that pleases another leader, he or she sometimes replies with the lyrics "Did you ever know that you're my hero? You're everything I wished I could be." from the song "Wind beneath My Wings". Another diplomatic statement quoting the same song is "[Player's name], you make me so happy!" A third is, simply, "You are the wind beneath my wings."

When a player is at war, the unhappy citizens in the cities will say "War... What is it good for? Absolutely nothing... Unh!" in tribute to Edwin Starr's song "War"

The animation shown when beginning a new game (commencing with the Biblical words In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void...) is a tribute to the original Civilization game, where very similar animation accompanied with the same text was played.

When another leader starts a war against you, they sometimes tell you: "I suppose you realize that this means war". That is a quotation from the classic Marx Brothers film Duck Soup, where Groucho Marx, who has become the leader of the country of Fredonia, insults a foreign ambassador who has been too attentive to Margaret Dumont; Groucho ends his stream of vituperation with this statement before striding away.
A quote also spoken by Warner Bros. character Daffy Duck on multiple occasions to Bugs Bunny, when the comical rabbit antagonizes the duck one too many times.

When you first encounter the leader of another civilization, the statement you pick if you want to express peaceful intentions is "There will be peace in our time", an obvious reference to Neville Chamberlain's words when he returned to London after having given in to Hitler's demands over Czechoslovakia in 1938.

Here are the known Beyond the Sword easter eggs.

The Final Frontier scenario has a military technology called "Shock and Awe", and its symbol is the face of Donald Rumsfeld.

The third stage of the CIV Defense scenario is entitled "#1 Threat to America: Bears!" in reference to The Threat Down! on/and The Colbert Report.

If any one finds any more post them :)

In a reference to an apocryphal Al Gore quotation, the former Vice President's face is featured in the graphic for The Internet Project.

Gore's claim that he "created the internet?" Not apocryphal--I remember seeing it on network news way back when... :crazyeye:

No, Gore did not make such a claim. All the reports bassicaly date back to miss-reporting of a statement he made in an interview with Wolf Blitzer. The exact statement was:

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."

All of which happens to be true, and none of which is a claim of invention.

Ive been hearing a rumor that for one of the Civ 4 games there is a cheat where you put in "allyourbaseAREbelongtous" or something like that in and something happens.

I dont think thats the correct code for it but i do believe that's probably close to it.

Any one know what it truely is? Or at least tell me what happens.

Ive been hearing a rumor that for one of the Civ 4 games there is a cheat where you put in "allyourbaseAREbelongtous" or something like that in and something happens.

I dont think thats the correct code for it but i do believe that's probably close to it.

Any one know what it truely is? Or at least tell me what happens.
"Chipotle". (I didn't know what chipotle was until my first trip to Subway, lol.) Add it to the Civ4 config file - not the BtS ones - under the Move Along Now... heading. It allows access to the Debug tools (Ctrl-Shift-Leftclick), bringing up a menu where you can insert units or cities without going into Worldbuilder; Ctrl-Z remove fog-of-war and Shift-4 gives you 1000 gold. Going to the Game Details menu in BtS you can toggle Debug Tools on/off.

I have cut back my use of them but occasionally I lapse back into bad habits. I mainly use Ctrl-Z just to make sure my dotmap is straight because another click on Ctrl-Z replaces the FoW to hide everything back again.

I have read this thread all the way from the beginning and didn't find Sid's Sushi noted? That's one of the TOO obvious ones in the game that I almost wish they hadn't done.. :crazyeye:

By the way, does anyone know what the reference to pig iron is? I'm a Swede :confused:

Edit: Google does wonders! They're apparently lyrics from ROCK ISLAND LINE, by Huddie Ledbetter, recorded by Johnny Cash in 1957, on "Ring of Fire." ... the anthem of railroads? hehe

PigIron is a "name" for a city claiming both. KMad used to go, well, mad, when she saw one :rolleyes:

Isn't the Dan Quayle reference some kind of easter egg?

He has been in every Civilization game since the beginning.

Civ Jewlers is another reference, I guess.

The picture for education is a chalkboard with 1+1 = 2 on it.

When you first meet Caesar in a game, he tells you he just made some salad, and asks if you want some.

In BTS when you first meet Sitting Bull, he asks "Is it pollitically correct if I ask you to smoke a peace pipe?" (Or something along those lines)

...When you first meet Caesar in a game, he tells you he just made some salad, and asks if you want some.

I could be wrong but I think Caesar resembles salad dressing entrepreneur Paul Newman. (I heard he's fine darn good actor too! :D )

I also wondered if Huayna Capac was meant to resemble our beloved Sid Meier.

Top Bottom