Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Songhai

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Mongolia

Votes: 34 28.8%

• Total voters

bhzz

Chieftain
As the title says, what do you think is the best civ if you want to go for domination/uber-warmongering?

I'd go with the Mongols or China because..well...+45% GG is awesomeness. GGs that are double medics as well are awesome too. GGs that move at 5 movement rate are uber-awesome.

Worst thing is, China gets a UB for the economy on top of that. Its redunkulous. Too many civs lack UB in this game ... one of the most boring aspects is the overload of double UU, especially for European civs that have too little appeal, especially when their trait has little bonus. Even warmongering needs an economy.

England, for example, is so specific and gamey, its disheartening.

Civ4, in contrast, had warmongering civs with at least one bonus economically to keep you thrilled.

Songhai are brutal warmongers. Just keep taking cities and collecting the gold from them. Their UU are one of the most effective city raiders in the game.

I voted for Rome.
  • The civ trait is in huge unison with ICS ;)
  • Thier UU come just when you are ready to wipe off neighbours - building roads while idle
What do you think?

Mongolia and it's not close IMO. They're the only civ I've had success with in offensive war on post-patch Deity (although I haven't played Babylon, who can push early Longswords with the Writing Great Scientist ).

On Deity, it is critical to have a very high kill/death ratio, and a fleet of Keshiks are excellent at this. If you play well, they'll never die. They accrue experience so fast that by the time they need to be upgraded, they'll have a full complement of open terrain combat bonuses to be used as Cavalry/Tanks/Modern Armours. If you stay roughly even in tech, having such supersoldiers will guarantee defensibility pretty much all game.

Another note on Keshiks - they are also excellent at keeping your other units alive, because of their movement (scouting) and swarming ability. This helps your melee and siege units end up in fewer compromised positions, keeping them alive long enough to become supersoldiers as well.

Finally, Mongolia's Keshik is very close to the Astronomy Renaissance beeline, so you don't have to go far out of your way to get them.

Japan are up there with the best, Samurai's come at just the right time to start a massive war campaign after an ancient era buildup and the UA means you can make gains that you rightly should not be able to make with weakened unit kamikaze's. Later on to finish the game they get Zero's. Of course a lack of Iron or Oil can be a fatal blow but hopefully your warmongering will have gained you some.

IMO (in no order)

Mongolia - fantastic generals and keshiks for the win
China - excellent generals and chukonu's are great
Japan
Germany - early rush with captured barbs
Aztecs (for early rush and their ability to keep up in culture despite warmongering)
France (for good UU's and ability to keep up in culture early on)
Greece (early rush but not as much any more since the horseman nerf, but still a little bit)
Rome (early rush)
Russia - kind of, as they can get huge amounts of critical resources enabling them to build armies they shouldnt normally be able to have
Songhai

Haven't tried Spain yet but you should add them and Inca to the poll

I'm not sure how you define "best", but I find the aztecs the most fun to play a good war game with. The culture bump is minor from a math perspective, but it motivates me to find people to attack and sacrifice to my hungry gods! It just makes the whole experience more enjoyable, really.

Ive found russia to be amazing at warmongering. If you go tradition and grab oligarchy and landed elite, that and monuments+kreposts will grant you ridiculous border spread with 33% bonuses in them. Add that to the extra XP from the kreposts, extra production from nearby resources, and double resources to use/sell off, and you can have a huge veteran army scarily fast.

Very hard question. Depend of where you are in the game. I voted Napoleon because he's the strongest civ for the earliest rush possible. Nobody like him can get an army of 6 swords with all honor's buffs enabled so soon.

Catherine for almost auto-enough ressources in any situation and China(even with only 35% and using others for golden ages) are good contestants for mid-term wars and finally Songhai for the amazing stockpile of gold you can add just before you discover Rifles....and upgrade like 20+ units in 1 single turn.

I don't have Mongolia so i can't say anything about them.

Why do so few people mention Russia? They get a production bonus and get TWICE the uranium then other civs allowing them to build a vast nuclear arsenal and many GDR robots if they get their hands on enough Uranium.

Pre-patch, I would definitely say Greece. Those CC's could hold their own against almost anything in the field until the industrial era. I would never upgrade them to knights because then you'd lose the super speed.

Now they've been uber-nerfed, so not so much...

Why do so few people mention Russia? They get a production bonus and get TWICE the uranium then other civs allowing them to build a vast nuclear arsenal and many GDR robots if they get their hands on enough Uranium.

Russia is good, especially because of the production bonus, but in most games, the game is decided by the time uranium is discovered, so that bonus is really not that significant. I'd much rather have a bonus that gives you an advantage early on instead of a late game advantage.

I'd say Mongolia.
It was the first time GG's could keep up with the army.
Those keshiks rule too, when combined with a few melee units for finishing off the worn down enemy units.
France was a good option for me as well.
I beelined for their UU's and it paid off.
By the time the musketeer became kind off obsolete, the foreign legion was available.
Perfect, easy win that game.

I have to go for France every time. Two great generals (for two armies) is about all you need and the French units totally dominate their eras.

China, Japan and Mongols, for sure.

Also don't discount the Inca - their hill bonus is amazing for combat mobility. A bit more subtle than the above three, but VERY powerful if used right.

EDIT: Also want to throw a little love out for Lizzy - longbows are awesome, Ships of the Line dominate everything afloat until destroyers and are great siege engines, and the speed of the royal marines means you can pretty much own whatever coastal cities you want, and outflank to your heart's content.

I'm not sure how you define "best", but I find the aztecs the most fun to play a good war game with. The culture bump is minor from a math perspective, but it motivates me to find people to attack and sacrifice to my hungry gods! It just makes the whole experience more enjoyable, really.

haha, I agree with that. My Aztec game was the first time in civ [any number] that I felt like I was actually playing with the civilization, not just a civilization that happens to share the name.

I haven't played with even half of the civs so my opinion means nothing, but I can say germany probably deserves more love. I would not have won [probably] if not for getting barb pikemen before I even researched the tech for it. And playing against Germany I have been incredibly annoyed by their swarms of cheap meatshields forcing me to fight them for way longer than I would have had to fight anyone else.

lol any one. If the AI asks you to help him out in a war, you will end up being called a warmonger by the AI after a few turns.

I end up in a war in all my games recently. I like playing as Elizabeth, Hiawatha, and Random. I am Nappy now on random and that's fun. Shortly I will be in a continental war, later I will be in a world war, finally I will win.

The Elizabeth trireme early tech to navigation (there's a pre-patch thread on the strategy) is pretty fun and has entertained me for a few games. I have applied it now for all my civs but only on Prince.

Keshiks are amazing. I can't think of any other unit that is more effective. Sieges can be quite annoying at that stage of the game, and Keshiks just cut through them like a hot knife through butter. And you can keep using them for ages, if you've beelined to get them.

Top Bottom