Just got completely screwed

Yeah, when I've won by Space Race, I'm usually close to at least one other type of victory.

Same here. I've won a space race, cultural, and domination victory on the same turn (got classed as a dom). Usually I try to go for one type of victory, and try and stop winning the other ways. I try to avoid space race as I'm sick of the victory animation and diplomatic as there is no victory animation.

The only time I feel completely screwed is when I'm building the GL (One of the few Wonders that I really try to get) and I get down to one turn to complete so on the next turn I get some cash and "You can no longer work on Great Library...."
Now that's screwed. Maybe someone can explain how the game decides to award a Wonder when two civs finish it on the same turn. I'm playing above Noble, in case that helps.

The only time I feel completely screwed is when I'm building the GL (One of the few Wonders that I really try to get) and I get down to one turn to complete so on the next turn I get some cash and "You can no longer work on Great Library...."
Now that's screwed. Maybe someone can explain how the game decides to award a Wonder when two civs finish it on the same turn. I'm playing above Noble, in case that helps.

You simply can't finish a building the same turn as another civ, because building are done at the end of yout turn, and the end of your turn is not the end of the turn of any other civ.

An example : you're alone with Paca

Your turn - you build
Paca Turn - he build
Your turn - you build
etc ...

So, as you see, you simply can't have a tie.

You simply can't finish a building the same turn as another civ, because building are done at the end of yout turn, and the end of your turn is not the end of the turn of any other civ.

Your turn - you build
Paca Turn - he build
Your turn - you build
etc ...

Okay; it only has the appearance of a tie The end result is the same though: I'm screwed. :cry:

Just got completely schooled

I fixed your typo. Consider it a lesson from Ms. Boudica. Now if you ever see an AI launch a spaceship, you'll know what to do.

Yeah, actually in a tie (the same turn) the human always wins, so it's actually the AI that gets completely screwed.

Only because the Human always goes first (player 0). In a scenario, the player isn't necessarily first however.

Well, I like challenging games, so here's my gripe:

The trouble withe the "defend the capital" rule is that the AI seems to have no clue. The last couple of games when an AI has launched a ship, I've taken his capital with ease despite him having many units empire-wide.

In my last game Churchill launched, and I was closing in my armies from 2 directions. I took London, which had just 4 units defending it. His 3 closest cities OTOH, all had at least a dozen, with York for some reason having about 20 ( I guess he thought I was going for that.)

Seriously, the AI needs a "defend the capital at all costs" mode after launching an SS. It doesn't seem to even know about the rule now.

edit: to OP: Boudica doesn't declare at pleased, IIRC which is only +3 under normal circumstances. You clearly weren't doing that much to keep her happy .. or you were doing lots of bad things to offset the nice things. Of course if you had vassals she didn't like, then thats a different story.

Couldn't she have been bribed, or decided to plan the war before she got to pleased?

This may sound a bit harsh but .... i dont see what the OP is complaining about,

You've got no business to be winning if someones able to take your capital just like that .... ;) This game is about striking a balance in your empire between military / technology / culture / economy etc. so you cant just focus on one thing and win.

Though i have to add - even i at first did not know about this whole thing of being able to take a capital and stop a space race, but i still used to pull off space race wins cos the AI would never be able to take my capital .... well not on anything below monarch anyways :blush:

welcome to the forums, nthingasitseems. :dance:
yes, you were screwed. :cry:

I just checked the civilopedia and did not see the "must keep capital" mentioned under the beyond the sword rule changes about need to wait for s/c to arrive to win. I don't know if this is documented anywhere besides these forums.
You've come to the right place. Lots of good advice here. Even in this one thread there is plenty of good advice.

So, if you want to see victory animation - reload from some turns back and try again.
Civ IV is very deep. People that play all the time and post here frequently are still learning rules and subtleties.

Now, go raze Boudica's capital in every game you play - that will teach her to mess with you. :spank:

I think the Apollo Project should be the space HQ, not the capitol you're stuck with from the beginning.

By the time you are launching a ship at least half of your cities should be able to build the palace, and then hence move the capital, in under 5 turns. It actually has more flexibility than the project from a hammer cost perspective.

Your turn - you build
Paca Turn - he build
Your turn - you build
etc ...

This is true in single player and turn-based multiplayer games. However, some multiplayer games are played with simultaneous turns, so it's definitely possible to have ties (and indeed, in many cases I've seen ties not only with 2 people, but with 3 or 4). What happens in this case is that the civ with the highest hammer overflow gets the wonder. (I'm not sure what happens if the overflow for 2 players is the same... possibly it's random, or possibly it's based on who's closer to Player 1 in the list.)

I think the Apollo Project should be the space HQ, not the capitol you're stuck with from the beginning.
This actually makes a lot of sense. It's more intuitive that "razing Apollo Project city" should cause a space race loss, than that "razing capital" should cause a space race loss. After all, if all the communication equipment that the satellite "requires" to reach its destination (for whatever reason) is located anywhere, it should be the space HQ / Apollo city, not the capital.

All that this would need to work would be some kind of marker to denote a city with the Apollo Program, so that you could easily see which city you need to raze.

Anyway, I think Higher Game's suggestion makes sense. I guess an American space trip would be more harmed if someone took Houston than Washington.

Let me add another option...

- You go for another type of victory (I almost never win by space race, even in the few cases where I have launched a ship, I usually pull out a diplomatic victory with the UN before it gets there).

Or you build a new palace in the center of your empire, so the AI can't sneek attack at it

Top Bottom