Regarding NES Moderation

Clarify what "our concerns" are.
What I am referring to as a campaign of libel is multiple members repeatedly accusing another member of serious criminality. A everyone here is should be happy with that being binned as soon as possible (before you could see it?) to reduce legal exposures.

1.) For a statement to be libel, it has to be false.

2.) In 2011, in the USA, a man named Jared Lee Loughner made provocative statements that were similar in content to the statements Amon made.

3.) He then shot and killed six people, and permanently paralyzed a congresswoman -- an elected official in the federal government of the USA.

Moderator Action: Flaming and Libel portions deleted
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The equivalent would be someone posting opinions like that of Anders Breivik, and mentioning his experience serving in the armed forces.

6.) These concerns were dismissed as "libel" -- not taken seriously, not even considered -- but dismissed outright.

Do you understand why we are angry?

I will say that if there's significant support for me to take on the burden of moderating the Never Ending Stories forum, I would be happy to do it.

That's only if there isn't a consensus around someone more respected within the forum. I can definitely think of forum members around longer than me who could do twice as good of a job.

I think the goal is for NESers to manage and run their games in peace without provoking interference from outside. We are a peaceful community by and large.

But why don't you just use #nes then? Non-NES, off topic conversations are clearly beyond the point of the WWW thread.

Chat form is not the ideal form for some types of discussions. Nor is PM an adequate replacement or CFC groups for that matter.

Try it a see, I thought it was visible to the membership, maybe I am wrong. If not can you see the red/yellow cards on the right of infracted/warned posts?

I can see yellow and red cards on the right of infracted posts. I just can't go to somebody's profile and look at a list of infractions except mine own, which I thought was WAD.

I’ll start with BSmith’s post, then move to everything else I want to respond to.

I would like to recognize that there is some dissatisfaction within the community with the moderation of the NES sub forum. This seems to stem both from disagreement with some of the rules and policies involved and a desire for a member more strongly involved with this community to become a part of the moderation team of this sub-forum.
There is no dissatisfaction from me. In my 12 years on CFC I have not seen a single case where a moderator have wronged anyone in the NESing community. Every single warning, ban, and that other thing were always well reasoned. The only difference is that in the last few years some NESers have begun to not like being told when they misbehave, culminating in the whole “inclusivity rule” mass which have calmed into to now rise again and reaching the so called “exodus”. The moderators have done nothing, and I do mean nothing, wrong as far as moderation goes. Perhaps there are personal dislikes between certain moderators and NESers but I have never seen that lead to any misbehavior by moderators.
As for disagreement with the rules, again, none from me. The rules of the forums are perfectly fine in my opinion (with PDMA lower in this list, but that isn’t the subject, so moving along).

The only thing I see from the arguments against the moderation here is the wish to have a NESer moderator in the forum. We had one, Birdjaguar, but he left NESing as far as I can see and so cannot be considered that bridge anymore. The problem with the demand for a NESer moderator is that I personally do not trust most NESers (probably including myself, albeit to the opposite direction) to be good moderators, as in following the rules of CFC to the word. I fear the forum will be chaos in such a case, something akin to what has been going in WWW thread not being solved or even fixed and the misbehavior allowed to continue. (Me to the opposite means I will go too far with following the rules…)

Let's have that discussion here and now. What are your thoughts on the issues outlined here? Are there any other issues with moderation in NES? What changes in moderation should occur? How would you envision these changes would impact this community in general and specifically WWW? If you feel these changes should include the appointment of an additional moderator, what would/should this person bring to the table that is not already there? Who would you nominate and why?
I guess I mostly said my thoughts on the issues you outlined. I don’t think there are issues, nor that there should be any changes. Perhaps a NESer moderator should be added, but the choosing of one should be very careful, and he should never be on his own in this. I have no idea who would be good for this for the reasons I gave above.

One important thing. I do think the NESers should be allowed to have one thread with OT subjects. Sometimes debates open that begin in game threads and have nothing to do outside the NESing communities. This were allowed in the WWW thread, but were terribly taken way out of line by practically everyone who were a part of those discussions. If people can’t behave, OT rights should be taken away from us, but I don’t think we misbehaved that badly just yet, it was very few of us, and they were dealt it by the moderation.

The way CFC moderation has acted here has made me, personally, feel unsafe.
Strange that you say that, moderation here has been making me feel like there is someone to talk to about unacceptable posts, and have made me feel very safe.

Can it be seen as demonstrably true from this statement; that he is planning such violence? No.
Isn’t saying anything like “Violence against so and so should be taken” should be against the rules? In particular when those so and so have done nothing wrong according to the law? It should be if it isn’t yet.

There really is no way of defending Amon’s rather violent opinions unless the rules of the forums just merely allows such opinions to be spoken freely. I assume they don’t, and if they do they shouldn’t.

But why don't you just use #nes then? Non-NES, off topic conversations are clearly beyond the point of the WWW thread.
Thanks EQ, for reminding me of #nes. The living proof for why I am a hundred percent on the side of the rules and moderation in this. In #nes there is no moderation. In #nes I was told several times by ‘people’ that they hope my country is burned and that my entire culture murdered, including support for the Holocaust. I was insulted many times etc… I don’t want that to ever be the state of our forum. I do not want the forum or any OT thread to become #nes or even barely resemble it. Which is why I hope the moderators never ever ever change their minds in regard to the laws of behavior and inclusivity. If those laws are somehow phased out I feel and fear I will be out of my hobby, for good. I will certainly not be here if insults and calls for my people’s extermination are a normality, and I wouldn’t be able to play in most games here without a law forcing all moderators to accept me into their games.

Like EQ I think the community’s “culture” have gone for the worse, much worse than he assumed thought.

As for this whole “moving”. I think their claims are seriously lacking, and to me it looks like all they want is, well I guess it would just ruin this thread’s sensibility up until now if I say it here too. I said what I think the reasons behind this whole move are in the WWW thread. I am quite certain of it too which is why I don’t see any reason why the moderators should change anything about how things are going. Things are going fine for all those who know how to behave and be inclusive. Only thing I may support is a NESer moderator but I stated my fears from such a move.

Oh and I looked at the first few posts inviting NESers and by NESers on those new forums. I already see #nes-like attitude brewing there as well, I know that I won't be moving there.

Seems very much like normal NESing atmosphere at the Frontier for me, erez.

Seems very much like normal NESing atmosphere at the Frontier for me, erez.
You looked at the off-topic little one liner between Abaddon and Luckymoose? How did the guy from that forum responded? "There we go".

Also, you are not me.

You looked at the off-topic little one liner between Abaddon and Luckymoose? How did the guy from that forum responded? "There we go".

Also, you are not me.

No, I have not.

And while I am not you, I do oppose the move. I honestly don't think moderation has been bad as people make it out as it, but neither have they been successful in diffusing the tension here. I do not believe that the move will necessarily be a bad thing.

Bullying rather requires a power differential in favor of the bully.

As has been made abundantly clear, non-moderators clearly have very little power in the current schema.

There's got to be a serious discuss of the interpretation and implementation of forum-wide rules here, and PDMA has to be allowed, or this is a frankly worthless exercise in self-congratulation: "Oh look how well we protected the right of everyone to post here."

1) Inclusivity is not a virtue if you've coupled it with a series of rules that make it impossible to call out hate speech if its couched in the politest possible language.
2) The grievances in question are frankly very specific circumstances. We're not going to get anywhere dealing in hypotheticals. The way CFC moderation has acted here has made me, personally, feel unsafe. This community is inclusive, but not inclusive for me. We are not going to get anywhere if I am disallowed from saying why. Granted...:
3) Everyone already knows the story in its broadest outlines; I forwarded my communication with the moderators to almost every NESer who posted in the last six months. Moreover, the blanket ban on Symphony's post has ensured that pretty much everyone and their uncle has read it. Sorry.
4) If there's one thing that was made obvious in this exchange, it's that where the NESing community has an imagined connection to a greater CFC community, at least as far as the moderation staff is concerned, NESing is not an integral part of the CFC community, and perhaps not a welcome one at all.
5) The move has already happened. Let's not mince words here. The move happened, and it's pretty clear that no one beyond maybe BSmith and Bird gives a crap.
6) Moderator communication is so opaque that I frankly have no idea if anything I've said is being read. Only Bird has had the courtesy to even reply to me.
7) Which feeds into the mutual respect that we have for Bird and Bird for us, and the fact that zero people outside of Bird share that. "It is a vibrant community that has a lot to offer to both its members and CFC as a whole." <- I have absolutely no reason to believe this quote reflects anything other than an opinion shared by those two people. The communications of various moderators have made that pretty clear.

Anything else I have to say is impermissible under the rules of PDMA.
Is there anyone willing to respond to this.

I meant you are not me as in you won't be receiving similar reactions by 'people'.

I'm conflicted about the move. Mostly against since it will hurt NESing as a whole.

This isn't strictly on topic, but where should I go for suggestions how to change the way PDMA is enforced? I have a very simple suggestion that I think could improve the way that people feel about PDMA.

Just quickly on this. Yes, there is a debate to be had about PDMA. It is held perennially. But this thread is not the place to have it. This is not because we don't want to discuss it but because this is an issue that affects the whole site. The place for discussion of this and related matters is Site Feedback.

You can see that there was a long discussion of this issue in Site Feedback just last year, and you can find other posts in that forum if you search.

Now you may disagree with the rationale given there and elsewhere, but if you want to discuss it, that's the place to do it. It wouldn't be fair to discuss something of site-wide significance here - and potentially make changes to the rules - that other members wouldn't see. (And yes, we've had cases in the past where decisions were made in one forum that were perceived to affect other forums, and the others weren't happy about it.)

As BSmith said at the start, the NES forum and this discussion need to take place within the context of the site rules. If you want to talk about changing those rules, do it in SF. Here, we're discussing the moderation of the NES forum.

There you go.

I think my biggest issue with Nesing is how "WWW" is ran. I recognize that this is a broader site, and that there is a place called Off Topic for Off topic conversations. The thing is, I don't want to talk with Off Topic about these things. I want to talk with NESers. I do on occasion try posting outside of the Nesing forum, but for the most part, I want to stay here. The Nesing subforum is my most visited tab, and I really prefer just chilling in our subforum.

Also, the ban of PDMA is a bit police state-y isn't it? :/ It really contributes to an "us vs them" environment.

On the regard of Moderation, I would support Thlayli as a mod sure, but I think there are other issues that need to be resolved first before the Nessing community migrates back to CFC.

Just my $0.02 though.

I've been in two tight-knit communities (IOT and GSTK, an old RPG over on twcenter.net) with an effectively completely OT thread even though there is a subforum called Offtopic. I have to say I agree with nuke. I don't want to talk with random people about issues; I want to talk with my friends. Every time GSTK's OT thread was remembered and subsequently closed or purged because we were "supposed" to be using a different subforum, it went over terribly and it was reopened within a week. Forcing a community to talk in a more public forum with non-members doesn't make any damn sense.

Plotinus, BSmith, please take note -- this is exactly what I have been talking about.

Lefty believes that our concerns are a campaign of libel. He's not taking our concerns seriously, because he is already approaching this topic with a desired outcome in mind; he is prima facie biased.

Statements like this are why we do not trust many members of the mod staff to deal with us fairly and impartially.

I would welcome an indigenous mod, as it were, but I fear that the environment is already too toxic, thanks to statements like this one.

Every time I've seen the idea of a mod who is actually a member of the forum proposed, it gets shot down at best and ignored at worst, and I really don't understand why. TWC has a local mod system where subforum members take over responsibility of day-to-day moderation with a limited jurisdiction, and only call in the scary red name mods on rare occasions. It reduces stress on the higher mods and gives members something reasonable to aspire to.

My issue with recent events are largely those expressed by several people already; that a certain somebody could come here and deliver thinly veiled hate and pro-violence speech in spam quantities, and was not penalized for this as it did not target a specific person on the forum, or use the right key-words. Penalize were only leveled once the topic became directed at specific forum members. Really, just a request/reminder to that person to stop from a mod would have been sufficient, and if done soon enough would have prevented the escalating aggression and emotions of other forum users that, ultimately, led to this current situation.

Yes, there were wrongs on multiple levels by multiple sides. But shutting down one provocative person would have prevented it.

I have not been active enough to really notice other trends, so can't comment on those claims. Just the recent things I saw, as I saw them. I'm not talking about vague any sort of vague moderator oppression, just unequal enforcement. Although the complete elimination of event and incidents just adds fuel to some things.

I think that as long as someone in charge relates, in no uncertain terms, that advocating violence against government employees isn't something that is tolerable on CFC, and that the moderators will keep blatant hate-speech out of our forum in accordance with the CFC rules, individuals will begin to calm down a lot.

I've done a very close reading of US law and I don't think that what Amon said was technically illegal, as he wasn't inciting individuals to imminent, real violence, in which case he'd be subject to arrest for inciting a riot or some other such charge.

However, I'm almost certain that he broke the forum rules, and those calling him account (perhaps excessively) for doing so felt that they were not only ignored but branded as rule breakers themselves. Then things escalated from there.

At very least it was offensive and provocative to many. People taking offense and saying things that would break the forum rules was inevitable. It took a few days to really reach a fever-pitch, so there was time to break the chain early.

Top Bottom