forbidden city

Lumbergh

Chieftain
im not sure if this is already a thread, but when is the best time to build the forbidden city? building it too early reduces its benefit a lot, but too late impairs your income and redudces tech rates, so it seems that early middle age is the best time since your civ is well established and decent size.

I build my FP only when I'm playing as builder. If I'm going warmonger, I never build FP until I have conquered a massive empire and want another prductive core. Generally when I have the FP it's just until I go Commie.

Since Conquests it is a better to build it earlier and nearer to the capital with switching the capital later.The two-core-thing doesn't work anymore, because the effects of the FP is much more restricted to the city it is in.

Doesnt it also help ALL your cities - just not very much?

Yes, it helps all cities by increasing the OCN (which means lowered corruption, if you would exceed the OCN without it), but the "second-core-effect" it had in vanilla and PTW is gone.

Optimal City Number.

It's the number of cities you can have without experiencing really bad corruption.

Optimal City Number, if you go over it corruption gets really bad.

edit - hmm, getting a bit slow with my replies ;)

And what is the OCN then? i.e. whats the magic number?

crazyluke2001 said:
And what is the OCN then? i.e. whats the magic number?

The number depends basically on the size of the map.In conquests the values are 14/17/20/28/36 (from tiny map to huge map).Those values are further modified by the difficulty [100, 95, 90, 85, 80, 70, 60, 50 (percentages from chieftain to sid] and IIRC also by the commercial trait (25% bonus).The increase from every "second-capital wonder" ist 50%.

Lumbergh said:
im not sure if this is already a thread, but when is the best time to build the forbidden city? building it too early reduces its benefit a lot, but too late impairs your income and redudces tech rates, so it seems that early middle age is the best time since your civ is well established and decent size.

Depends on your long term goal. I usually build it mid-game if I have a military great leader to rush it (first military great leader should build an army of course). The terrain around the FP should be decent too... Early middle age is IMHO too early. But your question and my opinion are highly debatable as
you surely have seen in these forums. :D

thetrooper said:
I usually build it mid-game if I have a military great leader to rush it (first military great leader should build an army of course).\ :D

doesn't it take SGL to build FC?

What is FC? (Other than Fruits Candy of course :D)

MGLs can rush small wonders... I think.

Catt said:
I tend to build it at the first oportunity to do so.

Me too! ;) I try to put it near the civ that I plan to :hammer: in a city
that already has decent production and a good location (central site with
others all around) Works great for me! :D

Paradigne said:
doesn't it take SGL to build FC?

You mean FP (= Forbidden Palace)? No - any small wonder can be hurried by
a military great leader, and the Forbidden Palace is a small wonder. Spend your SGL on something else... :D

I'm in a regent game using Egypt (just to fill you in).

I had a okay start, and when I started I did the circle pattern for my cities. From my capital, the first set of cities were all at 4.5 distance, and the second set all at 7.5 distance - in total I made ... gah 17 cities I think it was.

Corruption is based on distance the city is from the capital among other things. In my case, I have 6 cities all at the closest range to the capital (4.5 distance), and 10 at the outter ring (7.5 distance).

In addition, I built two other cities on the outskirt of the outter ring to grab horses and some silks - gotta keep the folks happy ya know.

Anyway, long story getting longer...

My first prioirty was to get my Pyramids up. So my first city built that in record time. After I start that in motion, I get my workers flowing out in masses along with my spearmen to survey the land and fortify at future city cites (I build these from cities 3 through 6 usually).

Okay so from city 7 (and 3 through 6 once I have enough spearmen), I start building my chariots in case I find a nearby civ.

In this case I didn't, but I did get a lot of goody huts giving me techs, how nice.

By the time I found the first civ, and subsequently got comms with the other civs and all their maps, I was a few turns away from Middle Ages. Thanks to an earlier golden age, I had a lot of cash and a lot of chariots to upgrade to knights, so I pressed for Chivalry next. As soon as I got it, I mass upgraded 50 or 60 knights, and went after the germans and their weak spearmen and swordsmen. In fact, I don't think they had a single horse, so I got to whipe them out easy. The reason?

Well their placement on the map was perfect for my second Metro area. As I was warring with them I was building up pikemen and settlers. I captured their cities, starved them, and got rid of them in favor of placing my own cities.

One REALLY nice thing was that I got a military leader during my war with the germans. In the middle of the war, I figure out where my second capital would be, settled, and hurried the FP (Forbidden Palace). Also as I was warring, I began my second placement of circle cities ... again 17 total but at 4.5 and 8.5 distances this time to give a little more room so they didn't have to share as many tiles.

In the end, I had 2 of these for a total of 34 cities, plus 2 for resources, plus 3 cities that bridged the two sets (gotta plan ahead and not let other civs settle on my upcoming railroads).

With all these cities, corruption and waste were incredibly low - To the point that now I just got Motorized Transp, and I'm building from nearly all 34 cities (the other 5 were perma set to wealth long ago). My build times are 2 to 3 turns in all cities - given I do have courthouse and police station in all cities, but still - without the FP and the circle placements, my corruption would be 500% what it is now per capita, easy.

Long story short ... plan ahead and be on the lookout for good city placement, and hope for a leader to rush that FP - HUGE HUGE time saver and your empire will grow fast!

I hope this helps (sorry it was so long).

I'll try to post screenshots of the huge map in it's current state to give you a better idea what I'm talking about. I hate to blow my own horn, but this is the first time I tried this placement, and I did a damn good job! haha :lol:

**Edit**

Warning: Image size is about 700KB.

I took some screenshots of my map and composited them together - couldn't see the city layout from just one screenshot. I then just used MS Paint to save as JPG and it still ended up large. But check it out if you have high speed internet, or the time to view an image of that size...

YAR's Map

Top Bottom