G-Minor XXVII

hmm, with a little tweaking I was able to get PT done T102 for Astronomy, and Oracle done T104 for Rationalism. just one turn before the second RA of wave one hit. This may end up being my best Diplo game yet.

Even if they go bankrupt I don't think it is good to start too early with RAs. Because they are not worth the money if the median is too low. And if the median is low on first wave it will normally be low on the next waves too. One must be prepared to pay RAs for some of the AI

Found another interesting map. This time, i started my first wave of RAs 2 turns later(86) :p Allied a maritime cs after 2 workers bought(again, similar to last try).

Now i have much more :c5gold: for another massive wave. Education at turn 76, PT turn 81. Astro/rationalism going for turn 87(similar to last game). Used a ge for NC at turn 48. I just always feel that's the best plan for my playstyle.

Spoiler :

Going to be a nice entry. Electricity turn 139 without using a single Oxford, scientific rev. or a gs at all. I have 16 techs left and can get 15 free ones : 6 gs, 6 RAs(third wave will mature from turn 148 to turn 153), 2 from policy and 1 from Oxford. A ge will also appear at turn 153(with a last gs). I will probably finish below 170 here.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

wow, nice game Tabarnak. I'm now at T144 and just got Electricity, but had to use a GS to get it. looks like you're one GS ahead of me at T139 too.

Finished at 168 :)

T192 for me. I didn't get Globalization till T171. I'm starting to see that it's very important to prioritize getting GSs out as soon as possible across multiple cities. I also didn't get my GE done in time, had to hard build UN for quite a few turns till my GE was ready. I need to designate one city to make sure the GE gets out on time (or work it in tandem with a GS in the capital maybe). I had 17 RAs complete without a single cancellation (only needed 16 to get to Globalization though).

I signed 3 waves of RAs. 1st wave from turn 56 to 61(signed 2 of them on same turn by mistake), 2nd wave from 87 to 93 and 3rd wave from 118 to 125(forgot to resign last one for 3 turns but 5 RAs were enough anyway) for a total of 7+7+6 = 20.

are people still thinking france?
i think siam has a lot more potential, but france cuts down on luck. i submitted a game with each of them, as it was i finished earlier with siam.

i think askia has a shot too, though i didn't have time to try with him. 120 gold for camps = nice.

@vexing: My best attempts have been with Siam and I agree, Siam has more potential but France plays a more stable game. France opens up Tabarnak's Liberty GE for NC style, which requires you to finish the HS for a GE in time for PT and then earn a final GE through GPP for the UN. Siam needs an early culture ruin but allows for the Wat+legalism trick and since you almost have to hard build the NC yourself you only need two GE, so overall you can get more GS with Siam, not to mention the better city state bonuses. Am I missing some important factors?

I feel like Askia would be viable in a larger or slower map, as there would be more camps/movement turns for the units and on a larger map you could actually kill off/puppet a civ or two and not endanger your waves of RAs.

if this were marathon askia would be king for sure.

i don't think using a GE for NC is optimal. i think you just need to wait for a strong start where it can be hard built in about 10 turns.

i don't think using a GE for NC is optimal. i think you just need to wait for a strong start where it can be hard built in about 10 turns.

The only purpose of finishing the NC very early is to be able to get enough raw beakers for a very early 1st wave of RAs with for early Education(and HS for PT in time), GL for astro, Oracle for rationalism, etc. Everything needs to land perfectly. Otherwise i don't see how a ge for NC can be good. At least for chieftain, where food and pop are king.

I didn't try with Siam.

i went with a 2 wave approach.
with some good timing siam can get all the way to scientific theory from its classical wave...

i'm not sure why this submission didn't make the list?
http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/game_info.php?dsply=&entryID=3019

regarding this one, i personally went for 4 cities, and just 2 waves of RAs. i delayed the GL for education, and that let my classical RAs get me through scientific theory with siam, and close with france.

in my turn 163 submission with france, i was able to produce 7 scientists and one engineer by turn 153, and sooner should be possible. i used great plains landing in the forest part for this submission for the chopping potential.
for the great people, i just had capital build all the gs point things, engineer rushed pt, and had capital produce first 3 scientists then each other city produces 1 and capital double pops engineer + scientist. i think this could be repeated / shaved down too, especially with stronger capital.

With so much choices, i wonder what is the best map. I only tried pangea for bigger spots of ressources to sell. I got lucky to find some civs around nice lands as well and they could generate enough gold through the game. Timing and snowballing are important as usual.

i tried a couple pangea rolls, an inland sea, then great plains. my great plains forest start with france was by far the best. i moved two turns to get river adjacent, ended up with a ridiculous # of forests for chopping and 2 stone, 2 gems, 2 fur, 2 iron, 2 deer within paris' radius. i also ended up with 2 extra scientists at the end of the game, so i definitely could have shaved quite a few turns off by starting my second wave of RAs earlier.

Top Bottom