General discussion thread

Could I have some source code for this so I can merge it with some other things both mine and others. Thanks for anything you can give.

On topic in right forum/thread :).

Can you add in Advanced Unit Automations by Afforess to your next version? Then I will definitely play this mod along with other quality mods.

I agree that python callbacks slow down the game. That is why among other reasons I really love A New Dawn. Because Afforess made brilliant strides toward reducing slowdowns :). But I can play with other mods sometimes :).

Thomas SG, I just read your post that you have to stop working on CCV. How unfortunate! :(
CCV is a wonderful mod and it would be very sad if you had to cease working on it. Being an optimist, I will continue posting comments hoping that whatever bad has happened to you will not last long. I wish you all the best and hope you will be back soon.

Thomas SG, I just read your post that you have to stop working on CCV. How unfortunate! :(
CCV is a wonderful mod and it would be very sad if you had to cease working on it. Being an optimist, I will continue posting comments hoping that whatever bad has happened to you will not last long. I wish you all the best and hope you will be back soon.

What??? Is this true???:eek:
This is a very sad news for civ...but I hope that the reason is that Firaxis finally merge you to their team...
It is wery sad that we will never see that great new stuff you merge :assimilate:
Wish you all the best Thomas....:bowdown:
Pozdrav!!!

Keep cool. I'm not dead. I'll come back asap. I think I must. :D

Even had yesterday some minutes to work on a patch. The heal bug is a massive one. That must be solved! I can't go away with such a bug left. ;) Report all bugs you see. I will solve them if I can but it may take more time.

The code is rewritten; the AI problem should be solved; the performance could be improved too.
Also added some other stuff and improvements in the past.

So expect a patch B soon but not much new stuff in the near future.

Not Firaxis. :)

Thomas SG, I am relieved that you are still around! :) I thought that an exodus of good modders had started and one mod after the other was going to be dropped by its creator.
I am still sad though that we won't be able to play any of these nice concepts that you have hinted to for the next versions - at least for a long time... :(
But perhaps you will find a few minutes here and there to continue your outstanding work... Would be great. :)

Thomas SG, I am relieved that you are still around! :) I thought that an exodus of good modders had started and one mod after the other was going to be dropped by its creator.
I am still sad though that we won't be able to play any of these nice concepts that you have hinted to for the next versions - at least for a long time... :(
But perhaps you will find a few minutes here and there to continue your outstanding work... Would be great. :)

I said "nothing new" but I didn't said anything about existing stuff. And there is still some "new stuff" on my HDD. ;)

Patch B is uploading at the moment. And there is "new stuff" included. 4.14 comes with:

- improved AI
- 4 new ressis (tea, coffee, tobacco, potatoes)
- softfood corp.
- migration system (part1)
- dynamic difficulty level option
- new automations (with fixed bug in original code from Afforess!)
- bugfixes (especially solved CTD bug from Barbarian Civ!)
- The Great Commandment Part2 (also known as The Experienced Commandment)

I said "nothing new" but I didn't said anything about existing stuff. And there is still some "new stuff" on my HDD. ;)

Patch B is uploading at the moment. And there is "new stuff" included. 4.14 comes with:

- improved AI
- softfood corp.

Great job! Since this is my first time here, here is a question. I download a main (now 4.14, right?) then Patch A then B or just B (because A is inside B)?

Thanks for the patch, Thomas SG! :D
There's but one problem. I get a lot of xml errors for elements like iTGAIndex in CIV4ReligionInfo.xml, iHealth in CIV4SpecialstInfos.xml or iRevIdxLocal in CIV4TraitInfos.xml. Is it possible that some changed xml-files are missing in the patch?

BTW: I love playing your mod. Good job! :goodjob:

Thank you. :)

And the download of Patch B is definitely broken. Sorry. I've got no idea what happend. Tested it and got a file back with 250KB from RapidShare. :lol: The Patch has got about 119MB. I'll reopload the file.

- improved AI
- softfood corp.
Thomas SG, wow! Thanks! :goodjob: That is a great encouragement to continue testing. ;) The more I play your mod the more I like it! I do hope that there is still (a lot) more on your HDD... ;)

Thomas SG, wow! Thanks! :goodjob: That is a great encouragement to continue testing. ;) The more I play your mod the more I like it! I do hope that there is still (a lot) more on your HDD... ;)

I promise nothing but patch C should come (soon) with the redone fighter engagement, BBAI update and Lost Battles. And yes, there are still some other things left. :yup:

€: Please tell me about your experience with the dynamic difficulty level. Is it well triggered?

Hey, want to start out by saying I really like the direction you've gone with you're mod and have enjoyed playing around with it. That said, I think the migration system needs a good bit of work from my early experience with it. I was playing along as China in the ancient era, had a nice small empire going with 4 cities. With 'start as minor civs', I was of course at war with everyone, but in particular I had a stack of about 7-8 units in mongolian territory for quite a while, pillaging, looting, burning cities, and generally doing quite well.

After a while I started seeing the messages saying 'people in city x are thinking of leaving due to the war' (I've paraphrased, it was similar to that) for basically all of my cities. Of course, I can't exactly end the war, and I was doing quite well, not losing any units, so I kept the invasion going. I got the messages several times over many turns, until finally it started saying that 'city x has lost population', etc., etc. The three cities that were not my capital all had 3-4 population prior to the first exodus, and within 5-10 turns were all down to 1 or 2, with all of them going to my capital which jumped up to 10 population(of which I could only keep 5 happy, not so good).

Obviously this immediately tanked my economy, and thus was a bit of a game breaker for me, especially since I was not being invaded, or losing a war, nor did any of those cities have any reason to fear for their lives, and I couldn't end the war(s) if I wanted to. Now, I don't know if this exodus was linked to the inherent state of warfare with my neighbors, or more directly my long-term campaign in enemy territory, but I can't see how either would cause(from a historical and sociological perspective) such an exodus. Should they have been fleeing to foreign cities, but it was too early as there were no open borders agreements possible yet?

Anyway, it seems like a system that could be interesting, but it probably needs quite a bit more tweaking. Perhaps until it's more complete, you could include it in the options to be turned off (I'd like to play around with the other changes). Also, more info somewhere on what kinds of things trigger it and affect the target of the immigration (obviously, Beijing was not looking like a better place to live than the outlying cities that were feeding it, what with rampant unhappiness and unhealthiness) would certainly be useful.

A brief question: Are the immigration mechanics similar to lemmy101's? I think I read there recently about similar problems as ChrisAdams3997 reported.
Btw, did you include new civics for the immigration system as well (like lemmy101 did)? That seemed to be a fine idea.

Oh, and if we talk about immigration mods: What do you think of OrionVeteran's immigration mod? I am not sure though that both mods can work together, but I think OrionVeteran said something about the AI actually being able to use immigrants in his mod.

The structure of the migration system comes from Lemmy. Sorry, there is no description with credit, yet. But in detail it is very, very different from his work. The reasons why and when they are leaving and where they are going is very different. I solved lots of problems in Lemmy's code. But not all as it seems. I'm already working on a bugfix patch C. The other stuff must wait until D as it seems.

You are right, the migration system must be triggered again. Sorry, it's new. In the AI autogames I've done everything seemed fine. And yes, there are also Lemmy's options to control migration but they won't get in use soon. They will come with the new civic system. ;) But I will not make it an option. I'll trigger it a better way asap. So please report your problems.

We have:

- no creation of too big cities
- need reduced migration from war when a minor civ
- no migration to unknown cities/territory
- no internal migration from war or better migration from threatend cities to more save cities
- set surplus happiness and healthy in relation to absolut city size

And yes, I have seen OrionVeteran's immigration mod but that's not the way migration should work in CCV. But as I said this is just part 1 of the migration system.

Thomas SG, you mentioned a new civic system. Is that something for the near future (meaning it is already "on you HDD")? ;)

With regard to the civic screen I would like to ask two things:

1.) Would it be possible to make the different look of the civic screen optional? So that players could revert back to the original civic screen if they would like to? IMHO, the orginal BTS civic screen is a bit easier to play with since everything can be seen at once without having to scroll down. (In one of the other mods - either Quot Capita or an old version of LoR, I am not sure - I saw that this was possible and the additional texts due to the RevDCM stability feature did not necessitate a scrollable screen).

2.) If you rework the civic system, do you think it would be possible to add something like the empire stability civics that Rhye implemented in his official mod "Rhye's and Fall of Civ"? Or something similar that accounts for the revolution feature a bit more than the current civic system does? I always thought that RevDCM wasn't completely finalised with its only very subtle changes of some civics.
But perhaps Rhye's system is not the optimal solution for CCV and you think about something a bit more sophisticated (reg. advantages and disadvantags of the individual civics) to make selecting civics an even more difficult choice... ;)

The structure of the migration system comes from Lemmy. Sorry, there is no description with credit, yet. But in detail it is very, very different from his work. The reasons why and when they are leaving and where they are going is very different. I solved lots of problems in Lemmy's code. But not all as it seems. I'm already working on a bugfix patch C.
That is good to hear. I think the reasons why the population left and how let to quite some problems with lemmy101's mod.

We have:

- no creation of too big cities
- need reduced migration from war when a minor civ
- no migration to unknown cities/territory
- no internal migration from war or better migration from threatend cities to more save cities
- set surplus happiness and healthy in relation to absolut city size
Some thoughts on that:
I think it would also be nice if migration during a war was affected by the success of the respective civ. So, if you storm over a civ and are able to loot quite a bit, people might be more willing to stay (or even happy to join your empire). On a second thought, however, I am not so sure if this idea is good in terms of playability. It might be better to abstain from aligning success in war and migration. War Weariness is meant to be a counterbalance for successful wars and it might break the game if migration would offset that counterbalance. I am not sure what would be better and think that it still needs some thought.

And yes, I have seen OrionVeteran's immigration mod but that's not the way migration should work in CCV. But as I said this is just part 1 of the migration system.
Fair enough. :)

One more thing - well, I know you said you don't have time, but I couldn't resist directing your attention to it ;) -, what do you think of avain's hunting mechanics in his Quot Capita mod? It gives some flavor to the stone age and might not be so difficult to add ("if an animal is killed, a few pieces of bread (or whatever that is) will be added to the nearest city" + an according message).
(In that case you could perhaps slightly increase the no. of animals walking around and the time span for that.)

Top Bottom