Civ5 - shipping with Steamworks * plus Digital Deluxe Edition

The problem isnt really that CIV V can be bought on Steam. The problem is that it is Steam ONLY...

Never fear - you will be able to buy Civ V through places besides Steam. We're going to have retail copies. We'll still be using Steam within those retail copies, but you can purchase through multiple channels (like your local store.)

Yes people are having a paraniod reaction here, no were does this say that Civ5 will only be available on Steam, that would be a very bad idea to give up retial sales. Yes it does likely mean that Steam will be the DRM method and that you likely will have to login once within X days to authenicate the game.

But even that doesn't mean you even have to install the steam client although I'm sure they will encourage you too.

But the OP is right, they dangling a carrot in front of you to get you to buy into the steam way of doing things. And that is all.

CS

I've bought every Civ game since Civilization 2 on the day of release. Every expansion pack as well. I love the series and very much want to give Firaxis money for it. But if they are going to go down this road, I'm getting stepping out of line.

Exactly. And similar comments are just keep coming

I myself playing civ since I was 8, nearly for 15 years now.
Have all the previous versions and expansions...

When I said earlier you will lose 50% of the core civ players, I was talking about 50% of these people
Half of the true fans, who are with the series from the very first steps...

In case I'm mistaken by what this all means:

Is there going to be a way to purchase Civilzation 5 that does not require the program to "activate" by checking in with servers somewhere? So that, for example, it could be installed onto and played on a computer that does not have any internet connection at all?

If so, I'm sold. I'll preorder that version once we're closer to release.

You'll need to have Steamworks to install the game (it's part of the process) but once you have the game on your machine you'll be able to play without an internet connection. Persistent internet isn't mandatory!

Yes, the true fans. The people who have been with this civ series from the start. The ones who are going to buy this game and have a lot of fun with it. It's going to be awesome.

I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but what's Steam?
Will I need the internet to run it?
Someone said earlier in this thread that it slows down the computer, I have two and a half GB of ram, will I be affected badly?

But even that doesn't mean you even have to install the steam client although I'm sure they will encourage you too.

You are incorrect. If you want to play this game, you will be required (not "encouraged") to install Steam. You will not be able to uninstall Steam after initial installation if you wish to play this game.

You should learn more about "Steam client", "offline mode" and it's problems and limitations, and "Steamworks" before posting about these concepts/systems.

I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but what's Steam?
Will I need the internet to run it?
Someone said earlier in this thread that it slows down the computer, I have two and a half GB of ram, will I be affected badly?

www.steampowered.com will give you a better oversight of what Steam is. It's a method of helping us install the game but more importantly a hub that will help serve the community, updates, mods, and a whole bunch of other cool stuff.

I have a laptop that is fairly underpowered and Steam does run on it. I know that previous iterations of Steam have been troublesome (years ago when it began, there were major glitches) but it has much improved. I do not believe Steam will bog down your machine while playing Civ V - we wouldn't build the game that way, anyway!

You are incorrect. If you want to play this game, you will be required (not "encouraged") to install Steam. You will not be able to uninstall Steam after initial installation if you wish to play this game.

You should learn more about "Steam client", "offline mode" and it's problems and limitations, and "Steamworks" before posting about these concepts/systems.

Perhaps, but you can place steam in off line mode afte the game has been authencated once. Steam is not that big of a deal, it doesn't look at your computer, or send non game data to the server. The only people that have to worry about steam are the hackers that try and pirate the game and get caught by the VAC system. For the rest of us it is just the cost of modern DRM. Not a game stopper for enjoying the next iteration of the Civ franchise.

CS

Sucks.. Well I'm not buying now. Not because of steam, I don't have any major problems with it even though I don't like it. But what ticks me off is the introduction of separate DLC stuff that you have to pay extra for. I'm not paying for a fragmented platform just so you can sell more pieces now and then. I would buy the game and proper expansions once a year or so but the very idea of macro sales is what I hate. Keep the game, I'll stay on Civ4.

Jarvi I don't care what you are saying
The fact is almost none of the traditional civ players like the forced steam
And yes, many of them won't buy it this way, even if they are one of the biggest fans

Anyway, you are just a paid **** by Steam to advertise this
You registered right after this news of civ+steam came up
And have all your post in the steam threads
Uhh, what a coincidence :p

You'll need to have Steamworks to install the game (it's part of the process) but once you have the game on your machine you'll be able to play without an internet connection. Persistent internet isn't mandatory!
Thank you. However, my question was not about a persistent internet connection. Rather, I'd like to know if the game will install and play without ever having to check in with distant servers to "authenticate" itself.

So, in this context, does "having Steamworks" mean that I could install and play a retail copy of the game without my computer being connected to the internet at all? My understanding is that I would not be able to, and thus will not buy the game.

However, I realize that I could be mistaken, and that Steamworks will possibly be some software bundled with the game that -- were it to connect to its servers -- would give me access to a number of features that I'm not particularly interested in having. And that I would therefore be able to play the boxed game ten years from now (I still play SMAC), even if Valve and Firaxis were to both go the way of Microprose.

also, Steam is occupying 11mb minimized here, and if you don't want it consuming your bandwidth, you can disable every notification and even stopping it from auto-updating your games. if you don't even wanna see the Store page, you can also set it to show your Games tab whenever you open Steam.

This is the problem - You have to STOP it from doing stuff automatically. As the master of my computer, I shouldn't have to manually disable "features" to stop the program from going online and do stuff against my will.

I don't use any Anti-Virus software because of this. I won't even let Facebook install that photo uploader. I've manually removed tons of viruses from different computers, but I can honestly say that none of them have been harder to remove than Steam, Norton Anti-Virus or any software from Adobe. They leave traces that mess up your registry.

I really miss the old MS-DOS days, when you had complete control over everything.

When I buy something, I want to able to hold it in my hands and say "Finally, it's MINE". I shouldn't have to go online to use it, in fact I usually play on a computer that doens't even have Internet connection (it's refreshing).

Of course Steam should be an option, but to someone who has played Civ for almost 20 years, its a huge disapointment.

Like I've said before, I've wasted money on Civ: Col and Railroads! and I'm not going to do the same mistake again if they are going to force me to put that garbage on my harddrive.

I love how people act like steam is some kind of virus, and allowing it to update your games hassle free is going to ruin your computer.

Steam is actually a hidden message that activates your computers true identity as . . .

A CYLON. :eek:

Anyone who doesn't buy this game because of steam has probably never tried it (or not within the past year at least)

Steam broke into my house at night and stole my tv, I'll never install it again.

Thank you. However, my question was not about a persistent internet connection. Rather, I'd like to know if the game will install and play without ever having to check in with distant servers to "authenticate" itself.

So, in this context, does "having Steamworks" mean that I could install and play a retail copy of the game without my computer being connected to the internet at all? My understanding is that I would not be able to, and thus will not buy the game.

However, I realize that I could be mistaken, and that Steamworks will possibly be some software bundled with the game that -- were it to connect to its servers -- would give me access to a number of features that I'm not particularly interested in having. And that I would therefore be able to play the boxed game ten years from now (I still play SMAC), even if Valve and Firaxis were to both go the way of Microprose.

You'll have to activate the game on installation, so yes, you'll need an internet connection once. As for playing the game in the future, I think Firaxis is an awesome example of a dev who is committed to their fans and the Civ games (as you certainly know) definitely stand the test of time. We know that, and we don't want that to change.

I love how people act like steam is some kind of virus, and allowing it to update your games hassle free is going to ruin your computer.

Anyone who doesn't buy this game because of steam has probably never tried it (or not within the past year at least)

if steam does stuff that you do not want but cannot disable, it is a virus.

if steam does stuff that you do not want but cannot disable, it is a virus.

"A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer."

Wrong.

Also, you can turn off steam's automatic game updates, not sure why everyone is saying you can't.

Here's a screenshot of my personal BTS game properties on steam, updates tab allows you to turn off automatic game updates.

Top Bottom