Lakes Suck

Well one game I was playing I had a bunch of hills around a lake and I was starting to run out of workable tiles. Then I came to the realization that oh I can farm up these hills.... That's awesome!! lol 2 food 2 hammer tiles are not bad at all

do you at least get the 25% trade route bonus? People in the Great Lakes shipping industry around Cleveland/Chicago/etc. would certainly think so . . .

Well one game I was playing I had a bunch of hills around a lake and I was starting to run out of workable tiles. Then I came to the realization that oh I can farm up these hills.... That's awesome!! lol 2 food 2 hammer tiles are not bad at all

Incas with hills around a lake backed by mountains = super capital. :)

Tundra and snow are also bad . Buff ?

Tundra and Snow give Strategic resources. Its a tradeoff you make conciously when you venture into those territories to settle. The lake gives the surrounding area fresh water at the cost of being a sucky tile, but if you get it as your start you didn't get a choice in the matter, and that sucks. Also I think a buff is necessary because I don't think that the lake's tradeoff is as useful as tundra's or snow's.

No they don't. The tiles around them get the fresh water bonus.

Yeah...? That's what I mean? I don't see where the misunderstanding could be coming from, sorry.

Argh, spawning at an inland lake as Venice...curses!
I'm diggin' this lake pantheon idea. The Aztecs would love it, and given the potential terrain, the Inca could really benefit from it too.
Morocco as well, if desert folklore has been taken and there are lakes in deserts.

The lake gives the surrounding area fresh water at the cost of being a sucky tile, but if you get it as your start you didn't get a choice in the matter, and that sucks.
This wasn't in your OP that's why you are catching alot of heat from ppl telling you that lakes don't suck. I don't undserstand your rationale, the tiles around the lake are what make the lake valuable. In the early to mid and even late game there are only a finite number of tiles your city can work. The lake tile magnifies the ones that you will want to work.
Yeah...? That's what I mean? I don't see where the misunderstanding could be coming from, sorry.

Because you are entirely dismissive of the main bonus lakes provide, they magnify the tiles around them; if you have a lake tile, the tiles around the lake will be more valuable farm land than without the lake. Pretty simple really, you don't have to work the lake tile work the areas around the lake.

"Lady of the Lake"
+1 Food & +1 Culture from Lakes

Also, Liberty is off limits to followers of the LotL until the Tradition tree is filled.

"Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." --Dennis the Peasant

That would be really bad pantheon belief considering you at most get get couple lakes on the whole map in my experience.

Not all pantheon beliefs are super though. We've all been the last to pick a pantheon at one point and have been disappoint with the leftovers. It's a neat idea regardless of how strong or useful this one proposal is.

Not all pantheon beliefs are super though. We've all been the last to pick a pantheon at one point and have been disappoint with the leftovers. It's a neat idea regardless of how strong or useful this one proposal is.

I agree with the people who say it should be added in with Sacred Waters.

It would be an easy "fix," and I think they'd be fine, if they were made 25% traderoute bonus, lighthouseable (lakes HAVE lighthouses in them), and with an occasional fish resource. Am I correct in saying that lakes are currently directly worse than rivers?

I agree with the people who say it should be added in with Sacred Waters.

It would be an easy "fix," and I think they'd be fine, if they were made 25% traderoute bonus, lighthouseable (lakes HAVE lighthouses in them), and with an occasional fish resource. Am I correct in saying that lakes are currently directly worse than rivers?

Rivers are by and large more desirous although rivers are a terrain feature and aren't in and of themselves a workable tile so its really an unfair comparison.

Top Bottom