just had this happen...

harmanoff

Chieftain
So am pkaying as poland...on contients there are 5 of us on it out of 8. Well went to war with china as a favor to the celts...well i had a rather fast expansion and pissed off ghandi and ethiopia they both declared war on me at the same time...well i made peace with china asap then defeated alot of ghanfis and ethiopias troops..both gave me a city in the peace they wanted after i doubled my troop count to 14. Well after about 10 turns ethiopia wanted a defensive pact!! Never seen that before!

So am pkaying as poland...on contients there are 5 of us on it out of 8. Well went to war with china as a favor to the celts...well i had a rather fast expansion and pissed off ghandi and ethiopia they both declared war on me at the same time...well i made peace with china asap then defeated alot of ghanfis and ethiopias troops..both gave me a city in the peace they wanted after i doubled my troop count to 14. Well after about 10 turns ethiopia wanted a defensive pact!! Never seen that before!

Yeah that is beyond strange considering i cant even get civs to agree to a defensive pact despite being their buddy half the game. And especially when you just made peace with him. If anything the AI's logic in BNW is seemingly unpredictable but his decision is likely based on some factor. Maybe he wants your help defending his stuff and plans on provoking wars. Maybe he was suffering from the lack of caravans suckling off your science. Maybe he suddenly decided a domination victory was hopeless and is retooling for a cultural victory and being your ally would net him bonuses there. Or the more mischievous option, he is lying harder than any AI in civ ever and is set to backstab you in 10 minus the turns till your pact expires. (can you attack someone if youre in a defensive pact with them? I have no idea.)

Yeah that is beyond strange considering i cant even get civs to agree to a defensive pact despite being their buddy half the game.

If your military sucks, the AI doesn't get any benefit from signing a defensive pact with you
I'd imagine the OP was among the mightiest of civs when this occured

If your military sucks, the AI doesn't get any benefit from signing a defensive pact with you
I'd imagine the OP was among the mightiest of civs when this occured

Yeah, it should at least take military strength into account. I hate the pacts in Civ IV where the AI, for some reason, thinks it's a good idea to make pacts with only good friends, and all good friends, regardless of their position.

Top Bottom