Improving Trade with the International Market

Jatta Pake

Warlord
Improving Trade

I think Trade in Civ 5 can be improved without overly taxing the AI. After a civ builds the first Stock Exchange, I think access to an International Market should be made available.

How it works: AI and players could buy and sell gold, luxuries, resources, units, maps, great works, and maybe even technology and map tiles in a market screen. Say the player has an extra Cotton resource. Rather than open up each individual leader screen for trading, the player could choose to list a 30 turn agreement for Cotton on the international market. The player could choose a fixed price or auction style listing.

Units could also be listed. This would benefit a "builder" style of play that wants to make and sell weapons but not war. It would also feed warmongers who need units but lack production bases.

Diplomacy would be affected too. The World Congress could pass "Trade Blocs" that restrict agreements made in the International Market to civs within the same Ideology. "Laissez Faire" would only allow auction style listings. "War Criminal" would ban a civ from the International Market.

Additional International Market mini-quests or theming bonuses could be made.

"Corner the Market" would provide a unique bonus to any civ that produces or buys up all of the same resource.
"Advanced Weapons Merchant" a bonus for the civ selling the first of a certain kind of unit in the International Market.

I also see the opportunity for "triple bonus" luxuries and new resources with the building of national or World Wonders. For example, having access to a "Rare Earth Element" resource would allow your electronics Wonder to provide three "Consumer Electronics" luxuries which provides 3X the number of Happiness each or a Tourism bonus. "Natural Gas" provides "HVAC Systems". "Phytochemicals" would provide "Pharmaceuticals".

I saw this from another post and feel like it would benefit you explanation here.

Also, this is a great idea- I just have no idea how much programming it would require, as I am utterly inexperienced.

Part of the pain with resources is going through the tedium of trying to find a source for what you need. I dislike opening each and every Leader screen only to be told that they have no interest in trading their 2 surplus Oil to me. It would be better if there was a "market" style mechanism that allowed players to go to one source for their resource needs. For example, I could see that Alex has 5 Oil for sale for 300 gpt or Monty has 1 Oil for 2 gpt. A market mechanism could allow prices to "float" meaning the AI would know how to price resources based on recent transactions by other AI civs.

France sees price of Oil and pays Monty 2 gpt for a 30 turn contract. France turns around and lists the 1 Oil 29 turn contract for 3 gpt. Lizzy needs Oil so she buys Frances 29 turn contract. France made +1 gpt for 29 turns for trading off of the contracts minus 2 gold for the 1 turn from Monty. Oil flows from Monty to Lizzy.

How the game would function when Monty's 1 Oil got pillaged by Alex 15 turns in could be interesting. It could collapse all of the associated agreements. So it could be that although Lizzy hates Monty, she needs his Oil and works to stop Greece from attacking.

Right now, trading is a bit tedious. It would be nice to see that you could buy Oil from Alex at 300 gpt, or work towards an alternative. Consequently, Alex may need money in a few turns so he starts dropping the price.

Top Bottom