civ IV with windows 7

Alpha-Male

Chieftain
has anybody tried to run Civ IV on windows 7. i have 7 installed and if Civ IV is compatiable i would install it.

I'm using civ 4 on windows 7. It works just fine, the same as it would on vista.

It works just fine, the same as it would on vista.

Well that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence as I couldn't get it to run with Vista. I kept getting this compatibilty error message then the game would crash when loading.

Well that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence as I couldn't get it to run with Vista. I kept getting this compatibilty error message then the game would crash when loading.

Yeah, if you had problems with it on vista then you'll probably still have problems with it on windows 7. I only had a minor problem on vista which was solved by running as an administrator, and I have to do this in windows 7 also.

I have windows 7. It runs really poorly. I have to play large maps rather than huge. Late game is annoyingly slow as hell.

I think Windows 7 has a high demand on your graphical resources as it is, and my comp is old so that might be why.

I have Civ IV Bts on Windows 7 pc. No problem, very good performance.

Many people get it to run with no problems, make sure you patch to date and always run the setup files/patches by right-clicking on the .exe and choose run as administrator. Some people do have problems however. Look in the Civ 4 Tech support forum for threads on Win 7, there's also Lemon's Civ/Vista guide which has a suggested install/patch sequence that is also worth following for W7.

After upgrading to Win7 from XPpro all directx9 games BSoD. Techs all insist it is a hardware failure (the only piece of hardware not replaced now is the MB - still BSoD). I went back to XPpro and have had no problems for over 3 months now.

I hope I'm the exception.

Just checking for understanding, are you all saying Windows 7 64 bit runs Civ IV. Gaming is the only reason I have not built a new system with Win 7.

If you're slowing down running huge maps it's most likely your hardware. Windows7 probably uses more resources (I know vista is a total hog) and slows your machine down. Huge maps are slow for me on xp. Civ just isn't that well designed to run huge maps on an old dual core.

Windows7 was designed to be backwards compatible. In other words, any 32 bit program that runs on xp should run on 7. At least that's what I've heard. Not the case with vista.

Windows7 was designed to be backwards compatible. In other words, any 32 bit program that runs on xp should run on 7. At least that's what I've heard.
Not entirely true, unfortunately. There are some 32 bit programs that do not work right yet, and you can forget older programs with a 16 bit installer when using 64 bit. No go, any way you slice it.
Not the case with vista.
Nope. Not quite right there, either. Vista has relatively the same compatibility specs as Seven, since Seven is really just an upgraded, repaired, and improved Vista. There isn't anything that I tried that would not run on both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Vista as long as everything was up to date and patched properly. There are a couple of engineering programs that my ex-roommate couldn't get to run, but they were hardware specific and were mostly driver issues.

Seven isn't perfect, but it far outstrips XP in terms of performance and capability, and it doesn't suffer the driver horribleness that plagued Vista for so long. It also is far less resource hungry than Vista was.

I'm weird. I liked Vista. I like Seven even more.

Just got a Windows 7 system. Only a coincidence that it happened just after the Civ 5 announcement. Honest!

Anyway, after a false start with a bad mother board, Civ4 is up and running on my Windows 7 system. Given the horrible state of the system that finally died, Civ4 is not only up and running, but zipping along like I have never gotten to experience before.

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I couldn't get Civ4 to work on my Win7 laptop... run as admin didn't work and it kept saying to insert the disk, but the Disk 2/Play was already in there. Then I put Disk 1/install in and voila! it worked! I still get a compatibility issue message, but I just click "run program" and it starts right up. Go figure! :rolleyes:

The only issue I can think of with Civ 4 on Windows 7 is one that is easily avoided.

Do NOT install it in the "Program Files" directory. Generally, do not install games in that directory. Especially games you want to run mods with.

Top Bottom