What Do Your Parents/Friends/Family Think of Video Games?

cgannon64

BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!
Or, more specifically, what do your parents/friends/family think of YOUR video gaming? I was going to put parents, but I forget that alot of people here aren't students. So what do they think of video games in general, and of your gaming? I'm wondering, because there seems to be alot of different reactions among young and old adults.

My parents personally think are half for it, half against it. They think I do it too much (I'd actually probably agree) and that it is a big waste of time. However, they also realize that it is something that can't be stopped, and that it isn't all that bad. They seem to acknowledge that it is a hobby of mine, but, on the other hand, they don't wholly approve of how much time I put into it.

So what do your parents, friends, or family think of video games, and of your playing video games? :)

Yep, I work also and I do quite a bit of outdoor stuff, so they dont pay much attention to whether I play video games for a few hours straight.

In general they don't are really fond of it. But these days I don't play as much as I used to do.

But my parents opinion has changed a little bit since I begun study at a university where I'm being taught in video-/computergame-developing among other things.

Originally posted by Silverblade
But my parents opinion has changed a little bit since I begun study at a university where I'm being taught in video-/computergame-developing among other things.

:goodjob: One time I was talking about this with my mom, and I mentioned how game developers get alot of money. My mom kind of smiled and went, "Really..."

I think when she sees that this could help pay for her retirement, she takes a liking to it. ;) :lol:

Imagine doing something that's are fun for work, and at the same time also getting paid for it. Probably a huge pay-check will arrive every month from your employer if you are any good.

Hold your horses, didn't I have a report about game-developers annual income somewhere on my computer (too sleepy to look for it though now, but tomorrow I probably have found it, my computer is a digital mess).

Ohh one more thing didn't you cgcannon64 mentioned something earlier about BF1942?

Originally posted by Silverblade

Ohh one more thing didn't you cgcannon64 mentioned something earlier about BF1942?

First of all, its C Gannon 64. Everyone always writes cgcannon...I guess its just a finger slip...right? ;)

Oh, and I've played BF1942 (great game) but I don't own it. I might buy it when I scrounge up another $50...:mischief:

It was probably wildfire you're thinking of. He's the only BF1942 player on this site, IIRC.

I brought BF1942 up because the developer team comes from Sweden. [SIZE=SMALL]*Silverblade is proud*[/SIZE] That studio has made the classic pinball games known as Pinball Illusion & Pinball Dreams. Myself don't play BF1942 because it's not my kind of game, though a lot of my friends finds it worth playing hour after hour.

What's with video games and certain nationalities? Starcraft is practically Korea's national pastime, and Swede players are mobbing forums. I don't get it... Whatever happened to good old animals? ;-)
And, just to answer the real question, I'll just tell you something about my family. The common Counterstrike teams on the LAN are me and my two best friends versus my parents + my sister. Does that answer it satisfactorally (sp?)?

Originally posted by LordMongoose
What's with video games and certain nationalities? Starcraft is practically Korea's national pastime, and Swede players are mobbing forums. I don't get it... Whatever happened to good old animals? ;-)

I think certain cultures are farther along the "acceptable gaming" culture line than we Americans are. For example, didn't they hold some professional gaming thing in S Korea where the best Counterstrike player got like 20 grand?

And, just to answer the real question, I'll just tell you something about my family. The common Counterstrike teams on the LAN are me and my two best friends versus my parents + my sister. Does that answer it satisfactorally (sp?)?

You are lucky! I wish my parents/siblings would play video games like that...:D

Originally posted by cgannon64
It was probably wildfire you're thinking of. He's the only BF1942 player on this site, IIRC.

I play BF1942 also.....great game. My parents don't like it when i spend a lot of time on the computer doing games, but what they don't know can't hurt them. :)

Good question for me, as I am nearly 32 years old but everyone in our family knows that my 30 year old brother and I persist in playing console games all the time and find it more interesting than, say, family get togethers.

My father has figured out that our video games are the same thing as his mindless tv habit - hooked on the entertainment technology we grew up with. Others in the family are less charitable, but that's the nice thing about being 32- nobody can tell you what to do...

Except your spouse. My wife is good at hiding the John Madden 2003 if I haven't got enough work done.

My siblings get angry if I don't give them a turn. :lol:

The old rule for gaming: I had 3 hours a week and could only play 1 hour on the computer, total, for gaming. So if I played an hour on Monday, I couldnt play at all Tuesday-Thursday. Than i played an hour usually on Fri and Sat.

The new rule: After a very good debate (and some CFC reference thrown in) I now have to get up on a certain time and if I get up, I get to play an hour (at least) no matter what (considering homework). Of course, playing BF1942 and MOHAA, and Civ PTW, these hours tend to be a little bit longer.

Just a little bit. ;)

I do not play video games, so they think nothing of it.
The whole kidnapping children thing is a different matter. :ack:

Well, I can't say my Mom thought that I was doing anything good while playing when I was younger.

She thought that I should go outside instead, and many times she was right. And some times she forced me to go outside. But hey, she knew better then me. (Not saying that I know better then her now :p)

We have always had a somewhat close relationship, and even if she can't really understand what's so fun about Video-Games she can understand why I like it and why people would.

And she has never stopped me from doing what I like (just subtile suggestions of maybe doing something else for a change ;))

I even tried getting her to play some games some times during my life. But she thinks its too hard to control the characters :p

If she would only find the right game, and maybe got herself a Computer, she would probably play more :) (I even thinks she would like to play Civ3, but probably not for as long as I have... :p)

The thing is that she has in practice almost NO computer experience... and she is kindof an Old-timer in that remark. (Padma, you would be the opposite to that :p)

When it comes to the the other part of my family... my 4 Brothers... they all like playing Video and Computer games.

Our older brothers, who are 10 years or so older then me both of them, both like Games but don't play so much. The older of them play pretty much (Red Alert, Counterstrike and the likes...), but my 2nd Oldest plays when he can, but not much. (He doesn't own a Computer or a Videogame though, he is more into movies...)

Me and my 1 year old younger brother introduced Video Gaming to our younger brother when he was pretty young. Because we wanted him to be the *BEST* gamer in the world! (Can't blame me for thinking like a child, I was one :D)

Well... was that one of the stupiest things or what... From that moment there was always a fight about who should play, and when... ah.. I remember when we tried to introduce a schedule.
Now did that fail or what! Just wasn't possible, we all wanted to play (the 3 of us, our 2 older brothers wasn't living at home during the Era of us 3 :p). Our youngest brother became a even worse game-a-holic then us! Now he is uncureable...

Well, here I am now. Alive from the constant battle with my brothers and living on my own, and can play when I want to. I own a Playstation 2, a GameCube and an X-Box. And I rent a Laptop from school. And I hardly play any of those...

But that will change, this year is now officially the staging place of Grey Fox's battle against his non-playing self!

*theGreyFox realizes that this post turned out to be his biography instead of a simple answer to the questions....

Top Bottom