C’mon Sweden, Britain needs you! (re Euro)

How would you vote?

• I am Swedish and will vote no to the Euro

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I am Swedish and will be silly and vote yes to the Euro

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I am not Swedish and would vote no to the Euro if I could

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • I am not Swedish and would be silly and vote yes to the Euro if I could

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

Mega Tsunami

Emperor
Sweden is going to the polls today to vote as to whether they should adopt the Euro. Latest opinion polls (so I heard on the radio) give the NO vote at 46% and the YES vote at 40%. This is despite the fact that most main parties, newspapers and television companies all came out in favour of the Euro.

Britain is on the periphery of Europe and on the whole we don’t feel part of the mainland. We love to trade and visit (and be good, friendly neighbours ;) ), but the thought of a United States of Europe run by the French scares us to death. And the Euro is a very big step along that way.

Sweden (and Norway for that matter) are also on the periphery and I suspect they feel much the same as we do. I would like to hear from some of you if that is true.

The Swedish and British economies have done very nicely thank you very much outside the Euro whilst, on the whole, those inside the Euro have suffered. Why should we join from that point of view?

I appreciate there are other reasons the Swedes want to stay out – eg their high tax/high welfare state suites them and they worry that this might change once they join the Euro.
Will the death of Anna Lindh provide a sympathy vote for the Euro? I hope not.

IIRC, in Britain recent opinion polls show something like 55 against and only 25 for it. A no vote by Sweden will put any referendum here to bed for many years to come.

So, come on you Swedes, Britain (and Denmark perhaps) needs you.

Denmark needs you too Sweden. Exept we need a "Yes" from you, then Denmark will defiently go "Yes" too.

Originally posted by dexters
So if Sweden votes no Denmark votes no?
properly, or atleast if Sweden says yes, Denmark will defiently say yes too. If they say no im not sure what the result would be.

Hmmm. Well, Canadians like to keep our dollar. Sweden, if they choose, should keep their currency as well.

I think as mentioned earlier, the EU is very much run by France and Germany, the two power blocks on the continent. As I understand it, many smaller European countries don't like the idea of having someone else run the show.

It used to be the Americans, now its France. Is it any better? The Croissant Wars may not be far off.

hohoho :)

I'm not Swedish and I'd vote yes (if I were over 18 years old)

Euro has been great. I'd not go back to Finnish marks, Euros are easier and useful if you go abroad to Europe

Hmmm. Well, Canadians like to keep our dollar. Sweden, if they choose, should keep their currency as well.

I think as mentioned earlier, the EU is very much run by France and Germany, the two power blocks on the continent. As I understand it, many smaller European countries don't like the idea of having someone else run the show.

It used to be the Americans, now its France. Is it any better? The Croissant Wars may not be far off.

hohoho :)
Then you might aswell say that California and Texas runs the economy for USA, which is not true. Its true that Germany is the biggest, but someone has to be biggest, and Germany takes the role pretty well, I mean think if Italy was the biggest economy;)

Originally posted by Mikoyan

When I went to Turku a few months ago, I was astounded over how incredibly expensive everything was. :undecide:
That does´nt has to be because of the euro. London is one of the most expensive cities in Europe(if not the most expensive).

If Italy was the biggest, they'd impsoe their food on EU members, which would be GOOD thing. I really like Italian food, no offense, but I find food in Northern Europe to be bland, compared to the explosion of flavours in Italy and the Mediterranean :p

The two greatest cooking in the world are from the two civilized Empires of antiquity. China and Rome. You'll find the best food there. I don't care about red wine, and eating slices of cheese on a plate. :D

Anyways, I think you'll see a few smaller EU members stay away from the Euro, because there are certain trading advanges if their currency is weaker compared to the Euro and their economy happens to be export based. (this includes tourism)

They can thus export cheaply to the rest of Europe. This is why Canada is so reluctant to give up our fruity dollar for the US greenback. We do a majority of our trading with the USA. I personally prefer the US currency, but there is no arguing with economics.

Anyways, I think you'll see a few smaller EU members stay away from the Euro, because there are certain trading advanges if their currency is weaker compared to the Euro and their economy happens to be export based.

They can thus export cheaply to the rest of Europe. This is why Canada is so relutant to give up our fruity dollar for the greenback. I personally prefer the US currency, but there is no arguing with economics.
But the Euro will be good for the economy, also the small countries. Even though it might not improve the economy, it will stabilize it.

When I went to Turku a few months ago, I was astounded over how incredibly expensive everything was. :undecide:

It's because of very high taxes;) not because of Euro

Although I definitely don't consider myself silly I chose the second alternative. I just returned from the ballot box (?) where I voted yes. It'll be avery important night tonight, and maybe tomorrow if it's very even...

I'm gonna vote YES today. As a matter of fact, I think I'll go do it right now. :)

Yoda Power said:
Denmark needs you too Sweden. Exept we need a "Yes" from you, then Denmark will defiently go "Yes" too

Although I am against Britain joining, I have to admit that if I was Danish (or indeed Italian, Spanish, Dutch etc) I reckon I too would vote FOR the Euro. As an outsider and not knowing all the day to day local arguments for & against, it just feels right for you.

If I was Swedish? – well I just don’t know what I would vote (probably yes).
From a selfish point of view, I want you to vote no.

funxus, WickedSmurf-good to hear:D

Mega Tsunami-but why are you so convinced that the economy of the UK will become worse if you join?

I'm pro-euro

He probably thinks that the ECB is incompetent, and is scared about things like changing interest 'n' stuff, cuz the Bank of England has to let that right lose. He thinks that nothing will happen to stimulate a bad economy anymore. I guess it's the government's task to do so then: they can increase or decrease spending too, and that will affect the economy too.

Ville is right here. The prices have not went up because of the euro. There are several studies that prooves that, I could dig them up if you want to (altough I suspect you will already have voted by then).

A strong, European currency is better than a weak, unstable Swedish currency. Those who will benefit the most from a stable currency are people on a tight budget - people with low wages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom