Which victory type do you most consistently use?

Which victory type do you generally try for?

• Domination

Votes: 58 51.3%
  • Cultural

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Technology

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Economic

Votes: 14 12.4%

• Total voters

steeemer

Chieftain
I know the answer is Civilization dependent, but what victory type do you generally try for? I suspect most people prefer domination victories.

For a while, I thought that a cultural victory approach would be a very good one because many players seem to have culture last on their priority list.

Although I can get a cultural victory, I have not been able to blow away the competition with this approach like I thought that I might.

That said, can anybody give me any insight to their specific experiences in going for a cultural win. I am particularly interested in knowing what civ you play and your basic strategy / approach for the early game.

Thanks.

Somehow, I really suck at Cultural. I tried to play all victory types on Deity for the GOTW for various civs. Domination is usually the fastest of course, and I can pull tech or economic pretty well usually around 1200AD. While cultural should be easier than tech in my opinion, it somehow tends to take longer for me...

Wow, can't believe I ws first to vote Tech!

I say Tech mainly due to the Deity OCC games I play (they're really, really quick... only 1 city to manage :) )...

I don't usually try for a specific victory type... Usually by the time the game hits the eighteenth century, I can pretty much go for any victory type and win without any problems.

Wow, can't believe I ws first to vote Tech!

I say Tech mainly due to the Deity OCC games I play (they're really, really quick... only 1 city to manage :) )...

Why quick? In that way domination is faster because you can still build armies to do that. Then economic could be possible if you are using civilizations like egypt starting with colossus and 4 deserts or more, perhaps getting code of laws first.
Cultural, well, you have just got to build wonders, if you got a nice production city as the capital you should win before the tech victory. To do this, you have to research a lot of technologies then these buildings are like wonders

I do quite often go for Cultural victory. It is under the radar of other players. I protect my 2-3 main cities with units from all of my other 10-15 cities and just keep on focusing on growth improvements (e.g., granary, harbor) and wonders in the main cities. That usually does it for me with the cultural victory. I find it more fun to do this and fight the other civs back rather than going for a domination victory (which you of course always can get quicker if you do it right). I´m not good at rushing for some reason, often find myself with "bad luck" when trying it out, and am not prepared to lose as many units as required.

So priorities for me are grow number of cities, grow in size in a few key cities, and defend.

Hertsch - Do you have a preferred Civ for Cultural wins?

Any civ works, but I prefer Romans, Russia, China, Zulu, and France.

Romans for the cheap wonders
Russia for the growth on inland
China for the larger cities at start
Zulu for the fast city growth
and
France for the starting Cathedral.

My play has all been SP so far, so my views may be biased by the AI.

However, I've found in many cases I can get an Economic victory even when the AIs clearly have the upper hand in the others. The disadvantage of EV is you slow down your research (although, after a certain point, techs aren't providing a significant advantage).

There's a couple of ways to get CV. The first is through population & temples/cathedrals & courthouse + Magna Carta. This gets you GPs at set points and also expands out your borders and might flip cities. Or you can build Great Wonders. Finally, you can also go offensive and use Spies to steal GPs, or take cities with GPs and GWs. Or you can do all three.

Domination is all about taking (and holding) the capitals which just means lots and lots of offensive (but don't forget the defense) supplemented by spies (to destroy fortifications) and a fleet (for naval support).

I use economic on the "beta centri" scenorio with one city on diety it's easy.I build a bank,market,and the internet.(I don't explore so I don't run into other nations.)

Offline I just play depending on my mood, or if I want to try something new...

Online it depends on my enemies ; weak ones means random strategy depending on 'rules' they want.
Or when facing better/good players I rush a cap or 2, and press my enemies to keep an eye on what they are doing.

-If they go for economic wins, I make 3 defensive armies, stack them, and add LOOOOTS of spies.
-If they go cultural, I just take their cities they build the wonders
-If they go for tech victories, I beeline for artillery and battleships + bombers through Oxford and grab their cap with brutal force.
-If somehow they try to go for domination, thay better have some defenses in their cities or their getting pillaged.

Also a big factor is the start and civ I use, but vs good players I mostly go for America, English, Aztec/Russia depending on who it is (some players tend to go cultural, like HGB, some like to tech fast, and thus I need great force vs their defence : English navies)

I seem to gravitate toward a cultural win. Once you build the Magna Carta, it practically plays itself. I tend to want the MC even when I am not going for a culture win because if a cultural powerhouse like France or Rome get it, they put my cities in danger of flipping. This pattern is so strong in my games, that I sometimes have to ignore the offer to build the UN so I can get a Dom, Tech or Econ win.

I find that the Cultural track "plays well with others" more than the other win types. Science and Gold are exclusive in a given city. Domination wants you to build more units and less buildings. Culture just wants a simple building in each city, the MC, Courthouses and population, population, population. Having big cities gives flexibility to generate money, research or pump out units as needed. Your cities keep making their culture regardless of what else you are doing.

I seem to gravitate toward a cultural win. Once you build the Magna Carta, it practically plays itself. I tend to want the MC even when I am not going for a culture win because if a cultural powerhouse like France or Rome get it, they put my cities in danger of flipping. This pattern is so strong in my games, that I sometimes have to ignore the offer to build the UN so I can get a Dom, Tech or Econ win.

I find that the Cultural track "plays well with others" more than the other win types. Science and Gold are exclusive in a given city. Domination wants you to build more units and less buildings. Culture just wants a simple building in each city, the MC, Courthouses and population, population, population. Having big cities gives flexibility to generate money, research or pump out units as needed. Your cities keep making their culture regardless of what else you are doing.

Good luck spending hammers on buildings when players attack you :D

Offline it's a fun way to win (especially if you have the extra wonders from the packs)
-You'll really LOOOOVE the Taj Mahal thingy which makes EVERY SINGLE BUILDING add +1 culture!!!

yes, even the baracks :D

Domination all the way, no matter what nation. I find if I want to win any other way, I have to "restrain myself" from winning through Domination first.

For some reason, every time I go for an Economic win, I end up triggering the Cultural win condition first. I think this is because I tend to go crazy stealing/conquering GPs and wonders.

I play standard maps, 50% more civs and aggressive civs. Games always end in domination and often don't make it to modern eras.

My victories so far:

3 Culutral
Chieftain - the Greeks
Warlord - the English
King - the English

1 Domination
Chieftan - the Arabs

1 Economic
Warlord - the Indians

Currently playing as King of the Zulus, starting to shape-up into a cultural victory, but it's still anyone's game.
- :)

As my games multiply, I now add domination to culture as a victory which just 'happens'. Once I get combustion it is hard to resist building tanks. When I have tanks, it is hard to resist taking AI cities. Once my appetite is whetted for AI blood it is really hard to stop. Is this wrong?

I'm trying to get every win regardless is civ. My fave civ to use is Russia tho.

Top Bottom