[Tool] AND offline updater

dbkblk

Emperor
AND offline updater: Update your game on a PC without an internet connexion!

Description
Here is a very simplistic simple tool that can be useful to update your game on a PC without internet.
It has two functions:
  • Download patch: Put the revision number of the mod to update, then press "Download" to download the patch in the executable folder. It will open an empty console that will eventually print errors (i hope it don't :)) and will close at the end. A popup will warn you when the download has finished. Please be patient because some updates are quite large when the graphic files are modified (more than 500mb).
  • Apply patch: Click on it to select the patch file (named "and_*the number you put when downloaded*_update.patch), then select the mod folder "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn", then cross fingers while waiting. At the end, a popup will warn you. A log file will be available in the application folder, "patch.log".

Installation instructions
- Download the zip file (link at the top of the page).
- Extract the folder on an usb key.
- Launch the executable on a PC with internet.
- Download a patch.
- Connect your usb key to the PC without internet.
- Apply patch.

Source code
  • 2.0 - Rewritten from scratch in autohotkey as an exercice. It is lighter and don't need any dependency.
  • 1.0 - Fix the revision update problem. Compiled using MinGW (no need to install MSVC anymore).
  • 0.9.2 - Feature: The patcher now remembers the last game folder location. Feature: Auto-empty cache after update. Fix: Prevent patching if local installation revision is different from the patch revision. Fix: Abort patching on cancelling file / folder selection window.
  • 0.9.1 - Hotfix: Workaround for Windows 7+ not starting patch executable.
  • 0.9 - Initial release

@Sogroon: If you have downloaded 0.9. Please redownloaded because i hotfixed the program. Unfortunately, windows 8.1 UAC prevented the patch to apply for stupid reasons (it worked on XP). Now it should works on all systems.

I answer this one here.

The old full installer is depreciated. There is no problem in using it if you are using internet, because it will "sync" with the repository (and removes obsolete packages) but without internet, this is easy to add new or modified files but hard to tell to remove a file.
That's why i created the offline installer, which update your game, patch the modified, add the new ones and remove the depreciated. I think this is a more safer way to update (but it need feedback :p)

Hehehe... :crazyeye:

Telling the truth I have tried the offline installer and it seemed to work perfect - at least the game started without errors. But... :mischief: But then I deleted that version, and installed a full package, assuming that can't be wrong :lol:

Earlier I wanted to tell you that it works fine, but don't waste your time on it. Now I revaluate it :goodjob:

Thanks for the feedbacks ! Just a precision about the installer. It will remove the depreciated files that are removed from the repository during an update, as opposite to the launcher which removes all the files which are not in the repository (except the files chosen in the exclusion list). There is no way to get the same behavior with the offline updater.
This explain why Sogroon got a problem with textures, which would have been removed with the launcher.

So when using the offline updater do i have to remove manually any files?:confused:
I think that maybe i've misunderstood something.:confused:

So when using the offline updater do i have to remove manually any files?:confused:

No, as I understand it is all automated.
My problem was caused by not using the offline updater, so some files were not removed.

Sorry for the confusion. To be clear, the behaviors are the following:
- Launcher: It compares your local installation, file by file, to check if there is a newer version / modified. Then, if your local file doesn't exists on the server, it simply delete it. However, the "exclusion" list allows the launcher to ignore some files. If you have modified a file for your convenience, for example, this can allows to preserve your modifications.
- Offline updater: This one only know what have changed between versions. If, during update 872, we have removed file A, then when the patch apply, it will remove that file. However, it won't check any other file to remove it. Just the ones which were explicitely asked to be removed for the update.

(double post)

Yes, but that is a good idea. I'll add it to the offline updater.

So it works good so far...
However, if I enter an older rev number, than my current (e.g. 870 instead of 873) the does not load. Don't know if it worth to try to "fix" at all, just a reminder for everyone who uses it.

And an other thing: The patcher doesn't remember where my mod is installed, so I have to apply it every time manually. No biggie, just a note.

However, if I enter an older rev number, than my current (e.g. 870 instead of 873) the does not load. Don't know if it worth to try to "fix" at all, just a reminder for everyone who uses it.

EDIT: That is a known behavior. I can introduce a simple fix: Check the installation revision number and refuse to install patch with a different number. That will be more secure indeed.

And an other thing: The patcher doesn't remember where my mod is installed, so I have to apply it every time manually. No biggie, just a note.
I'll add that to the next version.

Thank you for the feedback!

Update to v0.9.2

• Feature: The patcher now remembers the last game folder location.
  • Feature: Auto-empty cache after update.
  • Fix: Prevent patching if local installation revision is different from the patch revision.
  • Fix: Abort patching on cancelling file / folder selection window.

I downloaded the "and_894_update" patch, applied it to my game but the "patch.log" shows many failures and the revision doesn't get updated.
Uploaded the "patch.txt" file.

Attachments

• patch.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 190
Hm. Effectively, this is still an experimental software. Patching files this way isn't really safe.
I have plans to make it really safe by strongly modify the patching process:
- Download a list of the modified files
- Download each new / modified file
- Make a list of the files to remove

Then the patcher will just erase new / modified files and remove the files in the list. It will be much safer.
Once that'll work, i will publish monthly full builds.

I had the same issue as Nionios:
Downloaded 895 full build, than patch 895, but it refused to patch.
Next day dl 894 and it worked.
Note that patch.log shows Hunk #... failed at ...
although the patcher worked and the game runs fine.

We can agree that even if it's working, it doesn't seem very bug-proof :x

Top Bottom