XCOMM, Stealth, and Giant Death Robots

So one thing about the SV, it be drag on longer than the other victory's in turn number, but I think that it's still more straight forward and probably takes less time in real-time. Let's face it, a 350 turn Domination Victory may take twice as long in human hours than a 495 Science Victory, because every turn when you're at war takes forever. Similarly, trying to get the theming right with a cultural victory can be a little more time consuming. And, a Diplomatic Victory is in the same boat as a Science Victory, but with those, they tend to be more militaristic than the other two, because I know that I probably want to take out Venice or Austria so that they don't gobble up the CS's, and people tend to get pissed at you when they're fighting for the affection of their CS's (and you have to liberate them if they get captured).

You can get to stealth bombers and xcoms way before the spaceship techs. If you are committed to domination, these units can actually be useful. However, usually I would still tech the science parts first just to have a safety net in case domination bogs down.

xcom is good because it bypasses all defenses, and makes the enemy capitals an urban warzone. The range isn't unlimited (?) but almost quite as good in practical terms.

Strong units for projecting power, definitely. I do think that they are a bit unrealistic though. Haha, why even build a navy at all, when you can simply "teleport" infantry across oceans?

The existance of xcom simply obsoletes all other late game units, on land.

Why build tanks or modern armor, for flanking or for mobility, when you can just "teleport" infantry, surrounding an enemy unit?

I suppose autocracy giant death robots, with blitzkrieg policy would be slightly better, when defending. But as always, xcom require no resources, and GDRs require uranium. Ignore zone of control giant death robots would be pretty strong I reckon. But blitz promoted xcom are just, overpowered ;). Blitz promoted xcom "teleport" and attack on the same turn when they arrive at location.

Why build mobile infantry at all, when xcom are stronger and can just "teleport" across wide spaces of land. I guess mobile infantry with their trucks and armored personnel carriers, isn't so mobile after all, with only 3 movement points.

My games tend to be on the longer side [300+ turns on standard speed, 10 civs], but sometimes I'll just get bored and rush Nanotech and just spam XCOMs until I win DV.

Attached screenshot of my endgame tactics.

Attachments

• GoodLuckCommander.jpg
    GoodLuckCommander.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 392
I usually play on Huge maps and if the game goes to the end, I can send six Xcoms to a distant city and take it in a few turns. It would take many turns to send my Navy there or embark troops.
Also the AI fears them. when they attack a city enmasse, drop a few Xcoms in front of their troops and they withdraw.

Let me give you guys an example. I was playing as mongols and waging a really long war with pocatella. By the time i had finished, i was in the industrial age (starting in medieval) and i had a massive empire and was leading the other civs by close to 1000 points.

At that point it didnt matter how much i pissed everyone else off, they didnt dare to do anything to me as my score was just too large.

So there was absolutely no point building any units or upgrading my existing ones. I never got to use my level 11 keshiks -> modern armor before the game ended with me producing 1k+ tourism a turn before bonuses.

Well i guess i could have gone for a domination victory but that would just have made the world congress annoying and most of the time would have been spent waiting for my units to reach the target cities....

Top Bottom