Varica: Children of the Sky

As it's now the weekend I can begin modding tonight. I hope to have it done soon.

I'm here. I'm here. Sorry for my long, unexplained absence. I've been busy with school but I've decided to return to NESing now as the term winds down. That's not to say I can be lazy, I've got an exam in a week's time in my weakest subject too. I will probably not send proper orders this turn Fulton, rather a set of guidelines for you to NPC me within. Sorry for the extra work this will cause, and I will try to send proper orders, but time is not a commodity I have in excess at the moment.

I'm finished everything except for the Manische campaign and the Map. I've just sent Shadowbound the things he need to finish his part. So far the update is over 4,000 words. I need to take a break, I might get this done today, but I dunno.

I'm here. I'm here. Sorry for my long, unexplained absence. I've been busy with school but I've decided to return to NESing now as the term winds down. That's not to say I can be lazy, I've got an exam in a week's time in my weakest subject too. I will probably not send proper orders this turn Fulton, rather a set of guidelines for you to NPC me within. Sorry for the extra work this will cause, and I will try to send proper orders, but time is not a commodity I have in excess at the moment.

Sorry man but it's too late for Update 1, I'm almost done. Looking forward to what you'll have for update 2 though. I hope you do well on your exam.

Update 1: AF 144

The people of Varica walk the streets in a daze. Those old enough to remember the civil wars fear their return. While the great kings come to honour Adalbrandr, their unity may be an illusion. Two great wars herald a new age of uncertainty. The air of apprehension blanketing the great city has infected everyone, even the young who had never known the terrors of the civil war know that something is amiss.

Callista, the Imperial mother, has grown increasingly defensive towards her young son. She believes him besieged by a thousand enemies at court and weekly it seems another courtier she sees as a threat loses his head due to her whispered words.

Venci, mother of the two younger princes, the real threat to Callista’s son, is rumoured to be gathering the supporters from those terrified of Callista’s terror. But surely if there were truth to her plotting, the regent Taka, old and wise, would put an end to it? Yet some whisper that as he grows weak, he grows soft. He agrees with every ambassador and approves anything the kings wish to do, simply to keep them from challenging the Emperor’s authority until he can fend for himself.

The regencies of Vigvitr of Assfell and Hroth V of Varica have the thanes and aikings on edge, waiting with baited breath for the problems that are sure to occur among the royal families. Yet there is hope for the people of Varica. Those the raven has fallen, a new king has stepped forward to defend the northern lands. Haecadem II of Werhold was once a child king himself, but now he a vital young man who leads the assembled might of Varica north. Will Vigvitr and Hroth V survive to follow his example, or fall to the intrigues of court?

Great Happenings

Mourning the Raven
The funeral of Adalbrandr in great city of Varica brought kings from far and wide to the great city. So great was the respect for Adalbrandr that even his former enemies, the Gamars, sent a representative bearing the meat of mountain saon. The strange desert dwelling Nimosans came as well, bearing spices and riches from the southlands. The Huroto, though they failed to show the same respect to the Emperor, came to pay their respects as well bearing their own delicacies from the south.

Even other races came to see the splendours of Varica. The Thune of Tessilki were astonished at the thriving city they found in the savage jungles to their west. Though they continued to assert their superiority, the number and advancement of the Haecomus and their works have stunned the Tessil. So much so, it seems, that many of their gifts were destroyed in an accident outside the city gates. Much of the wine they brought was destroyed, though Validira was able to provide for the shortfall with their mead. The Tessil still managed to impress with displays of their technological marvels. Among them are a device with miniature figures that dance and play music when water is run threw a serious of pipes. Another device, gifted to the Emperor himself, shows the positions of Haeka and his daughters and the other stellar bodies as they make their heavenly progress. Using it, their future locations can be read. To own such a device is said to bring much one closer to Haeka.

The body of Adalbrandr was laid in a great tomb in a hillside grove overlooking the city of Varica that the generals of the northern alliance are said to have used to survey the city during the rebellion against Hroth IV twenty years ago. The great marble building is open to those who wish to pay their respects in the future. Lacking the traditional tower used in the proper Hrafn rights, the body was placed naked on a raised dais in the middle of the central room, a circular, open-air room facing east where a flock of ravens devoured his body.

For seven days men feasted in his honour under the watchful eyes of Taka and Jyanna. On the sixth day, one of the ravens left the tomb and settled on the shoulder of Hroth V. Some have taken this as an auspicious sign, especially the Hrafn. Others, mainly from the south and east, who view the raven as simple scavengers rather than companions and friends, see it as a bad sign indeed.

At the feast, both the Validiran and Gibraly kings pledged their honour guards. The Valdirians went one step further than their northern cousins. King Matteo and his eldest son, Miaeus would accompany their Raeka north to join the campaign. With the festivities completed, some kings returned home, but nearly as man returned to their camps to prepare for war.

(OOC: das, I decided after looking at the map again that the Validiran and Gibraly should both arrive at the same time as your scouting reports did, so both were able to accompany you in good time.)

Trouble in Tarnee
The Tarnee continued to face the assault of their former subjects in Tikeecee. Three great battles have been fought against the King of Tarnee. While the Tikeecee have been defeated twice, their relentless assault and decisive victory at Itzkree Field has forced the Tarnee to abandon their border villages.

New rumours have emerged that shed a much different light on the conflict. It seems that some of the Drisili tribesmen that were rumoured to be invading Tikeecee in the north are actually aiding them in their campaign against the royalist Tarnee. These Drisili gave the Tikeecee the edge they needed to finally beat the superior Tarnee at Itzkree.

The Cirici March Again
The Cirici have rested on their laurels for fifteen years. In that time, a whole new generation of warriors has grown wishing to prove their worth to their great city. The Yumin, too, are eager to show their superiority as allies over any Varican.

However, instead of aiming their destructive energies at the Tessil and their Yirshian League allies, they’ve turned north-east towards the city of Karski. Over the last two years Karski has attempted to build a league of its own. Three cities have joined it in their defensive pact. Cirici and their Yumin allies marched on the city of Kissulin. The Kissulins were quickly routed and their city occupied. It remains to be seen what Karski will do, but it is unlikely they’ll leave this offense unanswered.

The Sunta Campaign
Forces Involved:
The Army of Huroto:
- Commanded by Cul, Thane Ruto Lassa serves as his second
- 400 archers, 400 spearmen, 320 Tiaka, 275 Raeka
- Huroto Warband: 600 Warriors, 200 Skirmishers, 100 Aikings
- Gorka Warband: 400 Warriors, 130 Skirmishers, 70 Aikings
- Rugasa Warband: 200 Warriors, 65 Skirmishers, 35 Aikings
- Loupor Warband: 200 Warriors, 65 Skirmishers, 35 Aikings
The Army of Lokvar:
- Commanded by Lovaris
- 100 Archers, 100 Spearmen, 40 Raeka
- Lokvar Warband: 280 Warriors, 100 Skirmishers, 50 Aikings
- Oortan Warband: 340 Warriors, 115 Skirmishers, 60 Aikings

Collected Sunta Forces:
- Commanded by Dhakaan and Duren
- 320 Archers, 150 Spearmen, 350 Berserkers, 240 Tiaka
- Sunta Warband: 800 Warriors, 250 Skirmishers, 100 Berserkers, 120 Aikings
- Terasu Warband: 200 Warriors, 65 Skirmishers, 35 Aikings
- Welaku Warband: 120 Warriors, 40 Skirmishers, 20 Aikings
- Yolo Warband: 120 Warriors, 40 Skirmishers, 20 Aikings

The Challenge
Cul’s challenge telegraphed his plans long before his army crossed the borders into Sunta territory. That was, however, the intention. Cul hoped to draw the reckless Dhakaan into open battle with the greatly superior Huroto force. Cul succeeded in drawing out Dhakaan, but not in the way that he expected.

Dhakaan was incensed at the insults hurled at himself and his people, but he knew that should he fight the Huroto openly, his people would be destroyed. The longs wars with the Teral had sapped too much strength. He gambled his people’s future and his own life on one desperate chance. The Sunta lacked the great towns of Varica. Instead, they gathered in the seven greatest villages, each with high wooden walls built to keep out the Teral and Huroto. They burned the land and fields behind them to deny them to the Huroto.

Only Dhakaan remained behind. He stood naked and covered in the blue painted sigils of his people in an abandoned village. There he met Huroto’s scouts and offered his own challenge to Cul. Cul accepted, and the two met in a titanic clash of arms in the village center. It is said they fought for two days before finally Dhakaan succumbed to Cul’s strength. But Dhakaan was no old man like Kraal. This time, Cul wouldn’t be walking away from the duel either. Having won his victory, he collapsed. Both the Sunta and Huroto have lost their best commanders as the first swords clashed. But while Cul survives, badly wounded, but still breathing, Dhakaan’s corpse is now borne by the Huroto as their battle standard.

Saal Creek
The Huroto forces advanced on the Sunta in two columns. The greater of the columns headed towards the town of Sunta and the other strongholds. His warbands acted as scouts for the main army, competing with each other to find the Sunta’s force. Though they advanced cautiously, the Sunta’s skill at fieldcraft was superior. The Sunta laid in ambush as Saal Creek for one of these warbands, the Loupor.

Five hundred Sunta berserkers and warriors fell upon the Loupor as they crossed an open depression caused by a flash flood earlier in the year from melting mountain snows. The Loupor, outnumbered and surprised, suffered greatly. The Sunta withdrew quickly before the mass of the Huroto army approached. The Sunta scored a small victory, but the Huroto wouldn’t be caught unawares again.

Battle of Vos
Saal Creek slowed the Huroto advance as the new commander, a Huroto respected enough to be named Thane called Ruto Lassa, remained wary of other ambushes. When the Sunta did ambush the Huroto again, it was in the village of Vos. The Sunta revealed themselves to cut down a party of thirty Huroto scouts. Though they were slaughtered almost to a man, the Sunta alerted the rest of the Huroto army. Though their commander tried to pull his men back, he lacked the skill to control his unruly berserkers under control.

The Sunta charged wildly at the Huroto, but there were too few of them to break the three-deep shield wall of the Huroto. Even the mighty Tiaka failed to puncture the wall of men. Soon, the Huroto flanks closed in around the Sunta. The smarter of the Sunta fled, but those who were too overcome with bloodlust died on Huroto spears.

Terasu
The Thane of the Lokvar, Lovaris, led a second, smaller army against the Sunta. Among themwere the nucleus of a new professional army. Under the care of the Huroto, the Lokvar have amassed enough wealth to raise their own Raeka, though barely enough for an honour guard.

Lovaris led his forces south, into the lands of the Terasu. The strongest of the enslaved tribes, the Terasu had once been Lokvar when they ruled the land now occupied by the Sunta. The Terasu received better treatment than the Welaku or the Yolo, but still despised the Sunta. However, a small Sunta garrison and hostages taken by Dhakaan to Sunta villages ensured that the Terasu fought, even if half-heartedly. An indecisive skirmish at the river that divides their territories convinced Lovaris to seek easily prey elsewhere. He left half the Oortan warband to contest the path behind him and continued on.

Welaku and Yolo
Lovaris had a much easier time among the other Sunta slaves. Though the Sunta had left small garrisons here too and taken hostages home, both tribes refused to fight. The Sunta and a few loyalists among the slaves made a bloody last stand that sorely tested the Lokvar’s new professional warriors before the last Sunta was slain.

Though the Welaku and Yolo rejoice in their new freedom, they refuse to fight for Cul while their people are held as hostages by the Sunta.

The Siege of Tralan
It was apparent now to the Huroto that the Sunta had no unified leadership. The army had broken into two packs. The incompetent commander of one died at Vos with his men, but the more successful warleader at Saal Creek, Duren, was able to withdraw to Sunta. The seven core villages of Sunta each had their own leaders and only four would submit to Duren.

Lassa set out to exploit this. He aimed to seize Tralan and Jaa, two of the settlements that refused to submit to Duren and thusly were isolated by their comrades. Jaa fell quickly due to the treachery of several slaves within the city. The Huroto crept it at night and slew the garrison. Tralan, however, would be much more difficult.

The Huroto knew that time was of the essence, with the harvest beginning and their warbands beginning to think of home. Tralan had a mere two hundred defenders, plus extra men from the surrounding refugees and some slaves pressed into service, but they were well commanded. The Huroto had ten times this number. The Huroto hoped that a quick storming of the wooden gates with battering rams and the walls on all sides with ladders would lead to a quick victory, but after a long night of fighting, it was repelled. All told, it took three assaults to take the village. The furious Huroto warriors sacked the villages with a brutality not matched since the fall of Tasnakari. No man was left alive and the rest were reduced to slaves.

The Huroto have moved on to besiege two more villages, plus the Terasu village that remained besieged by the Oortan. This leaves only one other village and Sunta itself unmolested by the massive Huroto horde. Things are looking grim indeed for the Sunta, but the Huroto have their own worries. They have been victories, but some of those victories have been costly. Their warbands have been kept in the field for an entire year. With home so close, the temptation has proved too much for some who have returned to their fields at home.

Time will tell if this is the beginning for the end of the Sunta, or whether Cul’s Huroto may end up like Farvus’ Darium, exhausted and ground down to nothing.

Results:
- Welaku and Yolo become Huroto Vassals
- Cul badly wounded, Dhakaan dead.
- Sunta power -1
- Huroto gain 3 units of slaves, 6 EP of loot (another 6 EP has been taken by soldiers at Tralan)
- Sunta lose 3 units of slaves, freed from Welaku, Yolo, and Jaa or killed at Tralan.
- Sunta on the defensive, but are organizing under a new leader
- Sunta will fight harder next year, as a result of the destruction at Jaa and Tralan strengthens their resolve
- Huroto have suffered roughly 150 desertions from their warbands
- A third season with warbands in the field will hurt the Huroto economy and Huroto morale
- With Huroto maintaining sieges all your round, the Sunta are running low on food in all of their settlements

Forces Remaining:
The Army of Huroto:
- Commanded by Thane Ruto Lassa
- 360 archers, 300 spearmen, 240 Tiaka, 230 Raeka
- Huroto Warband: 480 Warriors, 155 Skirmishers, 85 Aikings
- Gorka Warband: 310 Warriors, 95 Skirmishers, 55 Aikings
- Rugasa Warband: 140 Warriors, 40 Skirmishers, 25 Aikings
- Loupor Warband: 80 Warriors, 25 Skirmishers, 15 Aikings
The Army of Lokvar:
- Commanded by Lovaris
- 85 Archers, 80 Spearmen, 34 Raeka
- Lokvar Warband: 220 Warriors, 75 Skirmishers, 40 Aikings
- Oortan Warband: 120 Warriors, 40 Skirmishers, 25 Aikings
Terasu Siege force:
- Oortan Warband: 150 Warriors, 50 Skirmishers, 30 Aikings

Collected Sunta Forces:
- Commanded by Dhakaan and Duren
- 220 Archers, 100 Spearmen, 150 Berserkers, 180 Tiaka
- Sunta Warband: 600 Warriors, 170 Skirmishers, 60 Berserkers, 90 Aikings
- Terasu Warband: 170 Warriors, 50 Skirmishers, 30 Aikings

The Manische Campaign

Forces involved:
The Allied Varican Army
- Commanded by Haecadem II of Werhold, Thane Boheort serves as his second
- Army of King Haecadem II: 300 Archers, 300 Spearmen, 200 Tiaka, 100 Raeka
- Imperial Varican Army: 250 Archers, 250 Spearmen, 200 Raeka led by Hronu
- Hrafn Contingent: 160 Tiaka and 125 Raeka led by Dalrir
- Validiran Contingent: 100 Raeka led by King Matteo and Prince Miaeus
- Gibraly Contingent: 100 Archers, led by Captain Berg
- Hrafn Volunteers: 120 Warriors, 40 Skirmishers, 20 Aikings
- Sisiric Auxiliaries: 200 Thune Skirmishers
The Army of Werhold
- Commanded by Earl Beriar
- 200 Archers, 200 Spearmen, 100 Tiaka

The Army of Duke Locia
- Commanded by Duke Locia, his son Ucae serves as his second in command
- Ducal Oathmen: 1200 Manische Spearmen, 200 Manni Blood Brothers, 400 Thune Skirmishers, 2 Star Warriors

Before the First Swords Cross

The wise advisor to King Haecadem II, Bedeon the Blind, is recorded to have said to the regent Haergar that wars are won or lost before the first swords cross. Haecadem II learned this lesson well from his teacher. He endeavored to win the war with the Manische through careful preparation.

With little known about the Manische, Haecadem ordered his men to search beyond the frontier for information on them while he attended the funereal games of Adalbrandr. As the armies of Varica assembled at Assfell for the coming campaign, his scouts and advisors compiled what they had learned of the Manische and forged a plan to stop them.

Refugees from the Sisiric Holds brought news of an army much closer to Varica than that which Adalbrandr’s Hrafn had faced. Two armies left Mannioc, the capital of the great Manische Empire. One headed north west led by Duke Zio, whose campaign against the fractious Hyren tribes (of whom the Reyli ,Kaku, Dolu, and Syven are the two best known examples). The other, led by Duke Locia, headed due west to the lands of the Sisiric thune. For two years Locia has ravaged the thune, stealing their goods, burning their fields, enslaving their people.

Haecadem gathered these thune under his banner to liberate their homeland. As he set out, a hundred Hrafn men pledged themselves to his banner, declaring their intent to avenge their king. Another eighty joining the hunt as the army passed by the ever-loyal Gnott.

Opening Moves

Despite the preparations of Haecadem II, there was much confusion when the army reached the Sisiric Freeholds. Manische, Sisiric Thune, and Varican knew little about each other.

The Varicans adopted a strategy similar to the Huroto in the south. The main army spread out, attempting to mask their numbers by travelling in smaller, mutually supporting groups. This contributed to victory in the first skirmish of the war. A band of Manische spearmen supported by skirmishing thune armed with crossbows and swords. The Manische were camped out in a recently sacked village when the men of Validira and Gibral discovered them.

Matteo sent runners to nearby formations as the Manische advanced. Though they had a small advantage in numbers, they were untrained and unprepared for the might of the Raeka. Only a flanking maneuver performed by the Thune that managed to get behind the Gibraly archers saved the Manische from a complete rout.

The quick arrival of the Werar brought an end to the battle and several Manische were taken prisoner, giving the Varicans valuable insight into the Manische army’s disposition.

Unfortunately, the captured spearmen knew only about their own people’s deployments. They knew nothing of locations or identities of the independent Thune marauders that acted as scouts for the Duke.

One half of the Varican force came upon a train of Thune. Thinking them possible allies, Hronu’s second approached them. He fell to three bolts in the chest as the Thune sprung their trap. The Varicans suffered heavy losses before the arrival of Dalrir’s Hrafn forced them away.

The bodies of several friendly Thune scouts were found nearby, revealing how they had slipped by to set their trap.

Crossed Swords: The Battle of Rissik
The two armies finally met as the leaves of the prairie trees first turned red. The Manische were camped at Rissik, a once-thriving Sisiric market village. The Manische were well away of the Varican’s intentions at this point, but had unfortunately been caught in a particularly hilly portion of Sisiric. This hid the army of Earl Beriar whose force was tasked with flanking the Manische.

While the Werar had hoped to catch the Manische in the process of raiding, fate was against them in that regard. Fortunately, the Werar plan was adaptable. The Werar, hiding their true numbers in the rolling hills, drew the Manische to attack.

The thune on both sides skirmished between the armies with light crossbows and darts. Though the Varican-allied thune were much fewer in number, they were backed by some Hrafn skirmishers and a substantial force of archers behind them. Though the Manische’s wooden tower shields protected them from many of the missiles rained down on them, some Manische were regardless claimed by Varican arrows.

The true measure of the Varican army became apparent just before the two great lines of spearmen clashed. Duke Locia sounded the retreat as Varican warriors poured over the hills, but it was too late to save the whole of his army. The Manische spearmen are not professional warriors like Varica’s. After a quick clash they didn’t get the better of, they received the order to withdraw.

The superior Varican numbers and discipline threatened to throw the entire Manische army into chaos. Only the presence of two hundred elite troops, strong men wearing terrifying masks of iron, saved the Manische. The Duke’s two Star Warriors stopped the Varicans dead in their tracks. The Varicans scattered as the two tore holes through their ranks.

Dalrir, the Hrafn commander and wielder of his own captured light-weapon, took aim from the cover of a rolling hill. He willed his weapon to fire and it obeyed him. A beam of light slew the commander of the iron-masked warriors. Startled by this unexpected turn of events, even the star warriors withdrew.

It appeared that the Manische would withdraw in good order, but they didn’t count on their line of retreat leading them into the hands of Earl Beriar. Once again the star warriors and iron-masks put up a good fight, but they the mass of frantic Haecomus and Thune around them diminished their efforts.

Casualties among the Varicans were light, considering the power unleashed by the Star Warriors. It seems that they are better used as terror weapons. Alone they might win a small skirmish, but their weapon’s power is limited and they can only be used a few times before the weapon requires rest. Thane Bohoert, Earl Beriar, and Captain Berg all earned minor wounds, but they should heal by spring.

The Manische that survived the rout fled Sisiric entirely. Haecadem II currently holds a commanding position in the heart of the Freeholds. With winter setting in his forces dispersed throughout a dozen freeholds. The harsher winter of the northern plains took a toll on the Varicans, especially the tropical Validirans and Hrothnani, but the army’s spirits remain high after their victories. Even with the extra supplies brought by Werhold, food is in short supply. The Manische ravaged the land thoroughly. Extra supplies captured from their camp have helped prevent starvation among the soldiers, though the Thune of the area suffer greatly.

Half the Manische army is either dead of in chains. One of their Star Warriors was among the slain, though his weapon couldn’t be found. The allies currently have two hundred Manische prisoners, many of them wounded, plus twenty Thune. One of the Manische wore the iron-mask. He claims to be one of an elite group known as the Manni Blood Brothers, pure descendants of the founding Manni tribe. These warriors were not encountered by Adalbrandr’s army. However, the elite forces encountered by Adalbrandr weren't present at Rissik.

Most importantly, the second son of Duke Locia, Lord Eijion, has been captured by the allies. The Duke himself was seen being carried away by his men.

Results:
- Werar discover large Manische army
- Manische ravage northern Thune
- Werar advance on Manische
- Skirmishes are indecisive, but Varicans learn a great deal from them
- Varicans catch the Manische
- Manische army defeated
- Many prisoners taken, worth 1 unit of slaves
- Duke’s son taken prisoner, the Duke may be dead

The Allied Varican Army
- Commanded by Haecadem II of Werhold, Thane Boheort serves as his second
- Army of King Haecadem II: 235 Archers, 225 Spearmen, 185 Tiaka, 90 Raeka
- Imperial Varican Army: 180 Archers, 170 Spearmen, 160 Raeka led by Hronu
- Hrafn Contingent: 140 Tiaka and 115 Raeka led by Dalrir
- Validiran Contingent: 70 Raeka led by King Matteo and Prince Miaeus
- Gibraly Contingent: 60 Archers, led by Captain Berg
- Hrafn Volunteers: 100 Warriors, 35 Skirmishers, 20 Aikings
- Sisiric Auxiliaries: 150 Thune Skirmishers
The Army of Werhold
- Commanded by Earl Beriar
- 170 Archers, 160 Spearmen, 80 Tiaka

The Army of Duke Locia
- Commanded by Duke Locia, his son Ucae serves as his second in command
- Ducal Oathmen: 600 Manische Spearmen, 130 Manni Blood Brothers, 200 Thune Skirmishers, 1 Star Warrior

Growth and Trade

The Gibraly and Romadi have forged trade links between their nations and exchanged oaths. They have promised to work together in the future, should anything happen to the

Oerdan and the Nakar stagnated this turn due to the vacillation of their leaders. There has been no growth in their economy.

Phridian Haekism continues to grow quickly among the Rheni. Along with the strange alien allies from the south and their they recently accepted and the appearance of Risanan Thune traders, many Rheni are greatly concerned over corrupting foreign influences. Several Phridians have been beaten on the streets of Brunica this year.

The Nimosans to the south continue to growth peacefully, expanding trade southwards. Competition has started between the Nimosans and the Rheni for trade with the south, where Nimosa holds the edge, and with the Thune, where only the Rheni have made any real inroads. Both nations continue to grow richer on trade.

Growth among the Dolu remains slow. Though the scars of the Darian War have been dissappeared from their cities and villages, much Syven and Nakar lands are sparsely populated. This free land has fueled what growth there has been this season, but without more settlers from the smallest of the kingdoms, growth will remain slow.

The religious violence that gripped the Bexian late last year has subsided thanks to the intervention of the King himself. While King Ban has quelled the population for now, there is still simmering hatred among some of the local clergy. King Ban has hired scholars to teach tolerance to his people, starting with those at court and powerful rural aikings. This intervention came just in time, as Phridia himself, severing all ties with Validira, has come to Bexuni to preach. (Phridian Haekism increases by 1%).

The King has shown a steady hand in the countryside as well. The land controlled by the Bexian, Romadi, Gamars, and Sunta are among the least developed. King Ban set about correcting this. Large swathes of fertile river land have been cleared for use by the peasantry. Next year’s harvest looks to be the best in decades. The King’s strongest supporters, the Coa, have seen their tribute reduced this year, which they appreciated greatly. Many of King Ban’s new soldiers hail from this tribe.

While the Bexian look to the countryside, the Darian March has turned its attention on its cities. A new settlement named Jadicha was built in the territory of the Jarids this year. The buildings are of very sturdy construction using a large amount of stone. Jadicha’s mighty walls should prove to be a significant obstacle for any invader to overcome. However, a shortage of wool is affecting the Darian economythis year.

King Matteo, long a fixture in Validira, has, in pledging his sword to Haecadem II, abdicated his throne in favour of his second son, Naxis. In doing so he has disinherited his eldest son, Miaeus. Miaeus has not interest in ruling and serves his father faithfully in the north. Naxis’ first acts focused on external affairs. He has sent embassies to the Nimosans and Tessil seeking audiences. Both have agreed to establish trade routes with Validira, though the Tessil will only maintain a trade route if Validira proves to be a benefit to the Tessil. Naxis has also focused on expanding his existing industries.

Despite the war being fought by across the river, life remains unchanged for most in Huroto. Though having the warbands away for the harvest has prevented any growth this year, the peasantry are hopeful that the defeat of the Sunta will bring about great prosperity. The Lokvar especially support the war. They call Cul a great hero and liberator. Many hope that the old Imperial province of Lokvar may be rebuilt with Huroto support, though Cul’s opinion on this subject is not known. Due to their losses at Saal Creek, the Loupor have asked to that they pay reduced tribute and not be called to service for two years in order to rebuild their strength.

While the Huroto keep their perennial enemy at bay, the Teral have made the most of this breath of peace. King Tyrion decided that the key to any economy or trade network is good roads. Thusly, he has begun two great projects. First, a read network has been constructed throughout Teraldur linking the main settlements of the tribes there. While this has had no immediate effect, it will surely facilitate growth in the future, especially if the king’s efforts to rebuild the countryside continue. Additionally, these roads will improve the Teral’s ability to respond to crises in the more far flung regions of the kingdom.

A second road-building plan was begun through the territory of the Kilma Fulanti and through the southern mountains. The presence of substantial Teral forces prevented Hillmen and Fulanti from interrupting the work there. The Kilma grow wary of the Teral and their plans for the future, but for now have help up their end of the bargain and keep to themselves. The road will be a long time in the making, however, as the mountain terrain makes it difficult. Still, it may yield great riches when it is completed. So far it reaches just beyond the Kilma Fulanti.

Five-Arrow of the Four Claw Fulanti has realized that for his people to survive, they must change. To begin this change, he has directed his tribesmen to find a suitable quarry in his domain. Slowly, the Fulanti learning to quarry the stone successfully. While the Seven-Star do this, the lesser tribes are busy just trying to survive. Their tribute this years was set very low, allowing the tribes to regain some of their lost vitality and strengthening the bonds between them.

Jyanna has managed to keep better control over Assfell than Callista has over Varica. Having already earned the respect of the Hrafn and been accepted as one of them, her regency remains unchallenged. Though the newly conquered northern tribes of Assfell aren’t nearly as pleased as the Varican tribes under Jyanna’s leadership, the light hand she has taken to tribute collection is winning her many friends. This light tribute, in concert with efforts to improve farmland, has yielded significant growth. Continuation of this policy will yield even greater rewards in the future.

The Hrafn have built a series of strongholds on their border to serve as rallying points for the people and their flocks using slave labour and the assistance of a few Tessil specialists detached from the Councilor’s delegation to Varica. (5 EP used on top of the gift of kibal, they’ll stay on next year)

The Werar have begun a similar, if smaller, fortification effort in their territory. A series of outposts have been constructed on the border to watch for incursions from the Manische. The main focus has been on Werhold itself, constructing a second set of stone walls for the city.

In the absence of the king, two Kingsmen (royal representatives) rule in his place in Werhold and Thanesburch. Both have encouraged city growth, with the strange but talented Earl Haeastl of Thanesburch seeing the best relative growth. Explorations of Sargotbak have yielded 1 metal this turn for Werhold. Lighter tributes imposed by the Kingsmen are encouraging growth among Haecadem’s vassals as well.

Rumours

A man in the garb of the nomadic western plains tribes has come to the edge of a Seven-Star village on the western frontier of the Four-Claw fulanti. He danced a strange dance, chanting as he did so, for several hours, then departed.

A Dolu village was sacked by raiders on the frontier with the Darian March. The Nakar may also be responsible, as a few of them stayed behind in this land and they have easy access. It may even be an opportunistic local tribe. There are rumours supporting all three theories.

Risanan traders have brought back a two-headed Haecomus from the far north. He is part of a savage and wild people who hunt and kill their one-headed brethren. He is part of a special display put on by his discovers to show off the goods they brought with them from the north.

An Aiking among the Gamars has decided to build a tower on the highest peak of Seven Star Pass. He hopes to see the world as Haeka does from on high.

Diplomacy

To: Lord Haecadem II, the other Varican commanders

Lord Eijion demands, through Thune translators, that his captors release his men at once. They are merely oathmen, bound by their duty and the land to aid his father, the Duke. He and the Blood Brother are the only true men of war and rightful prisoners. He warns his captors that his father will return for him, as it is his duty to protect his sons.

To: Cul Funkard and his generals

You have made this a war of annhiliation. Know that we will fight to the end, Huroto. You will gain not a single slave, nor coin, nor grain of wheat from us when we pass. There will be no surrender. The blood of thousands of Huroto will be on your hands should you continue your campaign against us.

To: Teraldur, Validira
(some messengers were intercepted by the Huroto)
Who will be next once Cul slays the last of us? A man of his nature is never sated. The Teral have proven themselves as brave foes in our struggles over the past decades and we respect you for it. We must put our past behind us if we are to survive.

Validirans, you already know the Huroto as your rivals. They will choke your rivers with our bodies and enlarge their armies with our slaves. They will come for you. If you do not come to our aid, then there will be no one left alive to come to yours. Let us fight together against the Huroto, and save ourselves from Cul’s subjugation.

The Map

Varican movements are in black, their enemies are in red. Battles are large X’s. Sunta settlements are listed as blue circles with black lines if they are besieged, blue circles if they aren’t. A similar blue circle notes the current Werar army deployment.

OOC stuff

@Tree151,
keep in mind that schools are incredibly rare and expensive in this age and don’t resemble the schools of today. They’re more like individual scholars teaching students from very rich families who can afford to educate them. Only about 2% of your people even know how to read and write. Your king therefore chose a top-down approach. Your off to a good start, keep it up.

@Tyrion,
I don’t think you spent your 20 EP of starting goods, so I bought you some Nimosan spices (which you wanted to buy anyways) and wool (which you needed this turn for upkeep).

@das
I owe you a PM. It'll come tomorrow.

@Everyone
I need some feedback on the trade system. Many players are confused. Others didn’t use it at all. Of the two players who set themselves up to be traders, one, Nimosa, has already dropped the game. Is the complex trade system worth keeping? If so, what changes should be made. If a majority of players wants to, I’m willing to drop it entirely. If not, what can I do to make it work better? What do you think?

Let me know if I’ve made any mistakes or left something out. It inevitably happens every update and I’m happy to change things.

Great update, Fulton. It's good to see that tensions with the Phridians are at least lowering in Bexuni.

Even though I haven't finished reading, I wanted to catch you before you left. You have left some sentences hanging in at least the first post (like I said I haven't finished reading).

First paragraph: "The air of apprehension blanketing the great city has infected everyone, even the..."

Fourth paragraph of the funeral: "On the sixth day, one of the ravens left the tomb and settled on the shoulder of..."

Even though I haven't finished reading, I wanted to catch you before you left. You have left some sentences hanging in at least the first post (like I said I haven't finished reading).

First paragraph: "The air of apprehension blanketing the great city has infected everyone, even the..."

Fourth paragraph of the funeral: "On the sixth day, one of the ravens left the tomb and settled on the shoulder of..."

Thanks man. That's a common error of mine. I hate editing so I never catch them. I'll fix them now.

EDIT: Fixed. The second one is especially important, I'm glad you caught that.

OOC: Interesting...

IC:

To: His Imperial Majesty, and Descent of Haeka, Hroth V of Varica, The Most Wise and Learned Regent Taka, and to the Imperial Mother Callista

As the new King of Validira, I hereby swear homage to the Emperor of the Golden City. My sword and my descendants, for as long as we last, shall be the servants and defenders of the Emperor and the Empire. You have my external loyalty.

To: King Ban of Bexian

Our royal families have long been friends and allies. Two decades ago, when your family sought to rebuild the Imperial province of Bexian, my father and brother marched to your support against the heinous Sargothi. We argued in your favor in the court of the Late Hroth IV, May His Legacy Remain Forever, and it was with great hope and joy that the Bexiani were recognized.

We have a daughter. She is fair-haired and of suitable age for marriage, having seen nearly seventeen winters. We propose a royal marriage between my daughter and your heir so that our bonds of friendship shall be replaced with those of kinship.

Respectfully Yours,
Naxis, King of Validira

To: Five Arrow of the Four Claw Fulanti

More than two decades ago, my father Matteo opened up trade relations with the Green-Turtle Fulanti of the plains. While we have continued to trade, I would like to formally inform you that Validira is open to trade with the Fulanti as we have for the last two decades.

To: Honored Callista

As a sibling to another sibling, I bear troubling news. Our mother believes that she is slowly dying. As such, she has ordered that I convey to you her decision to henceforth live in Varica after she has arrived in Varica. I am afraid she will decide to pay you a sudden visit and as such, given you fair warning.

From - King Ban, Ruler of Bexian
To - Naxis, King of Validira

We are most honored by the proposal, and I am sure Bexian's heir, Prince Axium, would find grace of your daughter. In these times, we must aid each other to prevail, and surely this act of friendship will do only good. Our families have long been friends and allies, and we must secure this.

As such, we accept the proposal, with great joy. May this serve as the bridge between our two people, Bexians and Validirians alike.

To: Our beloved brother, Naxis

Words can't describe the pain sorrow your letter has brought me. I will ensure that the finest doctors of the Empire tend to her needs. It will be good for our Emperor to know how grandmother better before she passes. May Haeka watch over her journey and your reign as King.

(Question: Is Callista a member of Naxis' litter, Miaeus' litter, or another litter entirely?)

To:Our newest and most loyal of vassals, King Naxis

We acknowledge of servants right to rule his father's throne. Just as Hroth the Founder chose his strongest son to succeed him, so we recognize King Matteo's choice.

To: Hroth V

Our most beloved brother, we hope that you and yours are well. We are well as is all our people. We write to you out of concern for your name, which is as precious to us as our life. For not only do the bonds of suzerainty tie us together, but also our bonds of blood. Therefore as a beloved brother we write to you, only wishing that your kingdom and glory increase, being overshadowed only by the love which your subjects have to you.

But as we were in Varica, mourning the passage of our dear father (may Haeka’s face shine ever before him), we were bombarded with accusations against the princess of Xanfa, namely Callista, that she has usurped the rights of governance from you and from your regent, Taka, who you, in your everlasting wisdom chose to guide you in the path proper to an Emperor. Added to this accusation were other crimes, namely taking on her own personage rights reserved for an Emperor, murder, unlawfully usurping the rights of regency, plots against the royal family, and divination. We stopped our ears from this talk, and forbade anyone to slander the princess of Xanfa before our presence in this way. Nonetheless, Varica is full of such mutterings, so that from the rising of the sun until its setting, we cannot escape such talk.

The only way, we believe, to stop such talk, and to prove to all that the princess of Xanfa is innocent of such charges, is to have her prove her innocence before Haeka and before man. Therefore, as your beloved subjects and more importantly, your kin by blood, we hereby charge Callista, princess of Xanfa with the crimes of taking on her own personage rights reserved for an Emperor, murder, unlawfully usurping the rights of regency, plots against the royal family, and divination and demand a trial by combat before Haeka to prove her guilt or innocence. As the prosecutor, we take on this most sacred duty to provide a warrior to try her in these accusations.

Now we demand these things, not because we believe the slanderous lies directed against the princess of Xanfa. Nay, rather we believe her innocence in all things. Nevertheless, in order to stop all mouths, we must have Haeka himself deliver his judgment through the most sacred rite of trial by combat, which was given to us by our fathers, and by our father’s fathers, even unto the time of Emperor Hroth, who received it from Haeka’s own hands. We ourselves will take upon the role of prosecutor, for there is none more fitting, first because the Emperor’s own blood flows through our veins, and secondly because the shedding of our own blood has proven to all, both near and far, Varican and barbarian, that we are above all others the loyal subjects of the Emperor. And we do not even add that some say our own father was carried to Haeka’s throne, there to sit beside him in order to judge the living and the dead, each according to their works. Therefore, we know that all men, both great and small, will accept such a trial as delivering the very judgment of Haeka.

Well this certainly went better than I expected! That said, Fulton, you said you owe me a PM; you still do. ;)

Ok, here’s the draft plan for the new trade rules. I want to make them simple and easy, but I also want to keep the ability to monitor military goods and starve out your opponent.

If we go with this plan, I’ll change everyone’s goods to luxuries or EP depending on their preference and change the stats to reflect the new production rules.

I need responces to this as soon as possible. If we agree on this, then I will update the stats and rules and set a due date for update 2 orders.

Strategos, I'll respond to your message soon.

Trade and Goods
Spoiler :

Goods:
There are three types of goods in Varica. Food, Military Goods, and Luxuries. You can find how much you produce in the ‘Goods Production’ line of your stats. 8 grain, 2 boats, 1 crossbows means you produce 8 units of grain, 2 units of boats, and 1 unit of crossbows each turn.

Luxuries:
Luxuries include anything not needed for basic survival. Honey, mead, glass, tapestries, exotic spices, etc, etc. Each unit of luxuries is worth 1 EP. You can sell Luxuries via trade routes or consume them to make your people happy. If you wish to consume luxuries, just state how much you wish to consume in your orders. Consuming 5 luxuries a turn is normal for an average sized nation. The Dolu, with far fewer people, could get away with consuming 3 luxuries, while the populous Huroto would need 8 EP for the same effect.
For information on selling luxuries, see Trade Routes.

Food:
For every 5 power of your combined tribes or 500 soldiers, you require 1 unit of food. This food comes in the form of grain, fish, or meat. Every turn, you produce a certain amount of food based on your production.

Military Goods:
Some goods are military goods. This includes Vorthai, Slaves, Metal, Boats, and Crossbows. Military goods are used in the production of units. It is possible to reduce a unit to a fraction as a result of using it for military purposes.

Vorthai – 1 Unit of Vorthai is required for the creation of 100 cavalry or 50 chariots. For every 1 unit of Vorthai you possess, you will gain .2 units of Vorthai next turn.
Slaves – 1 Unit of slaves may be used to create 200 levies at half price. Captured in war.
Metal – 1 Unit of Metal is required for the creation of every 100 Tiaka, Raeka, or Falkans. Found in Sargothi ruins, rarely found in mines.
Boats – 1 Unit of boats is required for every 10 Boat units. Created at docks.
Crossbows – 1 Unit of crossbows is required for every 100 crossbowmen. Obtained by trade with the Thune or specialized craftsmen.

Trade Routes:
Every state, from the mightiest warrior kingdom to the smallest gerontocratic village engages in trade. Despite the stigma often associated with nobles who engage in trade, commerce is vital for the survival of every lord’s community. As such, the lords of Varica do not engage in trade per see. Instead, they make arrangements with other lords to establish and protect trade routes used by their subjects.

The creation and maintenance of roads through the jungle, caravan trails through the desert, locks and river patrols through the mighty river system require the co-operation of local lords, their soldiers, merchants, and travelers.

In order to engage in trade, a Varican lord need only reach an agreement with another lord and make known the path it will take. This path must trace through friendly states, or at least states that grant you permission. Also needed is the number and type of warriors that will patrol the route.

Each trade route will be assessed to be worth a certain amount. This amount is the number of luxuries each partner can trade along it. A trade route between the Bexian and Xanfa would be worth 5 luxuries, since they are close by and have similar products. A route from Tessilki to the Romadi however, might be worth 15 or 20 luxuries because of the distance and different products. It is possible for one partner to gain more profit from a trade route. It’s even possible that one player will make no profit at all if they feel their luxuries are better spent elsewhere.

Any lord may attempt to raid your caravans or shipping. Any lord along a trade route can decide to disallow, seize, or destroy goods going through their nations. If the caravan is guarded, a battle will ensue.

Example: The Nakar wish to make a trade route to Sunta territory. They choose a path that goes through Huroto and Validiran territory. Sunta agrees to the route. The Nakar offer the Huroto 5 EP to allow the trade route to happen. Validira is also paid 5 EP to allow the trade route, but refuse to let through any military goods (i.e. metals and vorthai). The Nakar decide to send 1 unit of metal and 10 luxuries to the Sunta while the Sunta decide to send 2 units of slaves and 10 luxuries. Validira confiscates the metal when it reaches their territory but let the rest pass. The Huroto secretly decide to raid both nations’ trade caravans. The Nakar and Sunta have both assigned 50 spearmen to protect their traders. This is enough to protect them from bandits and river pirates, but not from the 200 Huroto warriors attacking them. Several small skirmishes ensue over the course of the years and in the end, only 5 units of Nakar luxuries and 1 unit of Sunta slaves and 5 units of luxuries make it their final destinations.

I'm not sure about it; my problem was not with the goods or there being so many of them (though I suppose that could get rather cumbersome), but with the way trade was handled (i.e. the mandatory micromanagement; this could be justified in some cases, but usually it seems to be a needless waste of time, especially as far as luxuries are concerned).

I agree with Das. The depth of goods is fine, it adds to the immersion, but the fact that a player has to micromanage every aspect of trade does not, unless said player wishes to. The players should negotiate the trade routes, send guards and maybe pay a few bribes but his merchants should be able to handle the rest. I mean we are kings not traders!

I agree with the others, i mean the detail is great but im not sure its really required, at this stage anyway. Maybe if you could play as a merchant Prince rather than a king, but that would require a whole different play style to begin with

Top Bottom