Ramkhamhaeng is a jerk...

Iberian Husky

Chieftain
So I liberate his capital from the Huns, and bring his civ back from the dead. Ramkhamhaeng being the ungrateful jerk that he is decides to immediately denounce me and refuse any sort of defensive pacts or any attempt for me to help him get back on his feet, so I just decided put him back in the ground, recapture his capital, and give it to Sweden, my teammate, because I am playing tall Poland and don't want more than 5 cities.

Any stories of the AI being ungrateful jerks to you?

Which version of the game are you playing? I think they fixed this in one of the patches for Brave New World, where any diplomatic history between you and a revived civ is deleted.

Which version of the game are you playing? I think they fixed this in one of the patches for Brave New World, where any diplomatic history between you and a revived civ is deleted.

This was in BNW. It was in the postgame after I had already won diplo. Even so, we never really had any bad history before he was conquered by the Huns. We were always friendly. Then I liberate him and he calls me a warmonger and denounces me on the spot, and just acts like a complete ungrateful jerkbag.

I had previously liberated the Myans and they were forever in debt to me, but Ramkhamhaeng is just an ass.

The history is most certainly not deleted. She did offer a DOF but was still guarded.

Attachments

• ungratefulMaria.jpg
    ungratefulMaria.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 394
She's trying to rip you off? Why not ask someone else? Or will they try to rip you off too..

>Germany askes me to declare war on another civ
>I agree
>Germany being a stupid AI does nothing except move his units around the border, refusing to attack a single enemy city
>I win the war
>Germany denounces me and now hates me, despite having bribed him for the last 100+ turns and being his biggest trading partner and sharing the same religion

Whilst trying the Poland 4 city Tradition/Liberty strategy I spawned next to Rammy. When I placed my second city 6 tiles from his cap he complained and since he doesn't have any ancient/classical UU I told him to "go away" and built some comp bows. From that moment on I am the jerk, converting his cities, DOWing him when a Great Prophet appears, etc.... Not wishing to capture any cities yet I have 3 highly promoted plastic infantry on his door-step causing much mischief which his elephants are no match for. Interestingly I only have 2 xbows(his elephants dealt with the rest) and 3 plastic infantry and he wants to offer me one of his cities, but not the smallest one I want to raze......

Rammy is one of the civs you can be jerk to, just make sure you are ahead in tech and you gain allies if you want to capture his cities. Also his elephants come at Chivalry, so watch out for that. Of course he will have many CS allies, once you deal with the CS unit spam(if any) they shouldn't be a problem.

1) The "revived civ from dead" diplomacy modifier is +200. That's absolutely massive, but could be overcome if you've been a bad boy. Going to war, forcing religion, citadel bombing... that can add up enough to make a resurrected Civ denounce you, but it's not easy.

2) Being part of a joint war offsets warmonger penalty two ways. First, you should be gaining a bonus from "we've gone to war against a common foe", and second your warmonger penalty with your allied Civs is halved while you're still in the war. This means that while the war is ongoing and shortly thereafter you ought to be friends, but after the bonus fades they might still judge you.

I find that its quite hard to resurrect another civ though. Would be great if you could do it yourself to get a kind of puppet civ, but the AI is generally too incompetent to take out another civ. Only civ ive seen do it consistently is shaka, who can mass a ridiculous number of units. Also the AI has a lot of trouble dealing with the ridiculous city strengths, i had to nerf it a bit to make them take cities.

You declared an offensive war. Took cities. Why are you confused about why you have warmonger hate?

I find that its quite hard to resurrect another civ though. Would be great if you could do it yourself to get a kind of puppet civ, but the AI is generally too incompetent to take out another civ. Only civ ive seen do it consistently is shaka, who can mass a ridiculous number of units. Also the AI has a lot of trouble dealing with the ridiculous city strengths, i had to nerf it a bit to make them take cities.

You must be playing at ridiculously low difficulty levels. From Prince on up Civilizations will fight each other and knock each other out.

As far as liberated people still hating you, I guess that this is because there are so many negative modifiers that it's no unreasonable that liberation wouldn't offset the other stuff. That's why I usually prefer liberating CS's, they're always grateful. And anyway, the fewer civilizations in the game, the better I say (except when you're creating the game, because fewer starting ones just means that the victory is less significant). I only liberate when I know its placement would be a huge headache for another Civilization that I'm trying to take out, especially when that's the Civ who took that Civ out originally.

Liberating CS's is always a good thing.

You declared an offensive war. Took cities. Why are you confused about why you have warmonger hate?

My warmonger hate is a given. I become extremely aggressive during the Information Age/endgame.

I just find it strange that an AI would immediately denounce me upon being resurrected.

Not sure if this has any relevance but Siam ranks as one (if not the most) of the most notorious AIs for backstabbing. I wouldn't bother trying to resurrect Siam unless you want to keep a buffer zone between you and another Civ.

"Ramkhamhaeng is a jerk... "

Yes. Yes he is.

He did that to me once when in an uncharacteristic fit of charity I res'd him. Darius had wiped him out back in Classical I think. Exit Rammy next go. Why would you mouth off against the guy who just liberated your people, especially when he has a huge military and they're on your doorstep?

Top Bottom