Deity sub 200 turn science victory attemtp

Turn 193:
Guarding pearsian pike. Other than that - nothing.
Spoiler :

Turn 194:
Harun and Hiawatha want to be friends. Sent to look for friends somewhere else.
Spoiler :

GA is over. An event I was a little afraid of.
Spoiler :

Damage inspection: capital and eastern city each will require one more turn of production. The rest are good. Workers are waiting to chop more forests.

Turn 195:
Nothing.
Spoiler :

Turn 196:
Diplomacy is freakin' stupid! :confused:
Spoiler :

Washington, you're grateful dumbass. You owe me you life!

Turn 197:
Second booster is ready.
Spoiler :

Set pearls city to research. Just because.

2 turns left for a third one, 2 turns for cockpit and one turn for static chamber and engine.
Let's see if we can cut something down:
Spoiler :

Yes we can! :)

Unfortunately, no cutting down for capital and eastern city. Had I sent one worker earlier to eastern city and cut a forest or two, I could have tried to rush buy spaceship factory in Sukhothai. But no chance at rush buying two of them at this point. Oh, well... :)

Turn 198:
More parts are out. Set everybody on research just for fun. :)
Spoiler :

Last glance at the capital and eastern city. No need to starve anymore:
Spoiler :

Turn 199:
Third booster and static chamber are out.
Spoiler :

Before I do it... it's policy time. :D I could only dream about it (and I dreamed :lol: )
Spoiler :

And that was it...
Spoiler :

With 5 small cities, none of which passed size 10 or 60:c5production: per turn, peaking at 230:c5science: per turn, unfriendly terrain, severe cash deficit through entire game and no aluminum, coal or uranium... it happened. How was it possible? 19 RA's. Nuff' said.

Some stats:
Spoiler :

P.S. Thanks everybody who followed. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Although I must admit, it was tiring. I'll not take a break from Civ, I'm an addict, but probably no LP's soon. :)

And, Tabarnak, my friend, bon appétit! :p

Hahahahh one turn spare x))
This deserves a bottle of champagne and a great applause
Interesting thing, washington was generatin 2 gpt :p
I don't think any errors you made would've accelerated the win if not done, what do you think?
Congrats :D

Very good! Thanks for the great read and ... wait ... is that a seaport in the small lake near pearls city? :lol:

Congratulations, 1390 AD spaceship sounds very nice, pity they couldn't manage it in the real world.

Hahahahh one turn spare x))
This deserves a bottle of champagne and a great applause
Interesting thing, washington was generatin 2 gpt :p
I don't think any errors you made would've accelerated the win if not done, what do you think?
Congrats :D
I'm more of a rum guy frankly. :D
Ol' George was doing pretty good given the circumstances. DoWed Egypt the runner up superpower with that lonely puppet capital. :crazyeye:

As for mistakes... Well, I'm sure one turn could have been shaved off, had I actually did the hammer math. Had I prechopped forests in eastern city and cut them down instead of sending all workers to forest city on autopilot. Eastern city came up short just few hammers. Then by selling all non production buildings and some gpt I could have rush bought a spaceship factory in capital and reduced the last booster construction time as well. As alternative, I could have dropped the windmill and start on SS part there one turn earlier. But these weren't mistakes, more of a sloppy play. I really felt the pressure, as you said, despite the fact my timeline was good. With stronger cities starting Apollo on t169 would make me very happy. Here, however, I didn't know for sure if I'm reaching the goal until turn 194 when the GA was over. :crazyeye:
I still think placing horse city on hill would have given me stronger position overall. And players who mastered tall empire play would've made it taller indeed and got an obvious advantage over my 'shorty'. But that would have been a totally different game. We'll never know. :)
Bottom line, I'm more than pleased with myself. The only serious mistake that could have hurt me in the long run was not singing last RA with Hiawatha. Had things gone wrong with Persia and America, that would have cost me. Other than that good strategic choices made up for sloppy tactics here and there. Especially ND gamble payed off big time. Don't think it was possible without it. And the biggest part of all, of course, was the fact I've never been DoWed. I would like to say it was all smart me, taking wise diplomatic decisions, but the true is, I was very lucky. Again. Secluded start and irrational behavior of a neighbor who should have DoW me. I couldn't believe he stopped his fleet at Stockholm the moment Harun declared. I'm pretty sure those frigates were gunning for me and they should have pursued their target better.

Very good! Thanks for the great read and ... wait ... is that a seaport in the small lake near pearls city? :lol:
You're welcome, thanks for reading. :)
Yep. :lol: But int this context egyptian boat which floated in my waters for the entire game puzzled me more, tbh. Ramesses was at war with Askia, so no problems with OB. Don't know what's his story. :lol:

Wow, that is extremely impressive.

t199, with a super thin empire, as you called it.

Goes to show how insanely OP RAs are :eek:

Seriously, well done sir! :D
Yes, if that is not the proof, than I don't know what is. It also makes me wonder how that'll be changed in G&K. We know that only 'friends' will be able to sign them, but in a game like this it won't matter. I could DoF everybody but Darius. Still 18 RA's, the exact number I needed. So unless the mechanics itself changes, sounds like they will be extremely luck dependent. Spawn on isolated spot and you're good to abuse them the same way we do now.

Félicitations! :goodjob:

19 RAs...enough said. Well said...next time you should try OCC :lol:

Nothing to add, excepted that if you don't want to lose many minutes(hours) of posting my trick is that i copy the whole post before sending it. So if CFC has a problem i can paste my post again or somewhere else while the site is going to run ok again.

Playing with your gpt through the whole game for RAs is a HUGE investment for those who are not used to this tactic.

19 RAs...enough said. Well said...next time you should try OCC :lol:
Yeah... I'll get back to you on that... In few years. :D

Nothing to add, excepted that if you don't want to lose many minutes(hours) of posting my trick is that i copy the whole post before sending it. So if CFC has a problem i can paste my post again or somewhere else while the site is going to run ok again.
It was Darius, not CFC. :mischief: No, actually, it was me. I hit back button or something and although my browser is supposed to save a form anyway it didn't for some reason. I always copy long posts before sending them. In fact, I have a whole bunch of notes saved from this thread alone. Never needed them before which caused me to become a little careless by that point. Had it coming.

Playing with your gpt through the whole game for RAs is a HUGE investment for those who are not used to this tactic.
I can't say I'm used to it either. I never got so deep into negative. And when I wrote a disclaimer I meant every word: I don't like this, I don't think AI should pay lump sums for gpt and I really really hate MM all cities every turn from gold focus to normal and vise versa. It's a pain. I expected to be in debt, of course, just not as bad. Reality slapped me hard on both cheeks. I wish I had a choice.
NM, now I'm playing Askia (therapeutic rebound :lol:) and I'm swimming in cash. :cool:

Whoah, congratulations! That was truly impressive and I thoroughly enjoyed it. How about trying this without any RAs next time? :D

Lowest in GPT, but highest in tech. And within 200 turns!

That was indeed some deep gpt negatives. Like -67, I mean, woah, and you still managed to pull through in short span of time.:goodjob:

That is fairly impressive as well (without GSs? In Immortal? :eek:) but I was actually thinking about a sub 200 turns challenge without RAs :lol:

Great read and very impressive effort!

So how many suicidal barbs we had? 4, right?
GL finally goes on turn 42! Ramesses did go for it after all. This is typical time for immortal but a 10 turn delay for deity. I actually could get it.

And forgive me, but I just have to get it off my chest. Because GL obsession that so many people share really bugs me. Let's put aside the fact there was absolutely no way for me to know whether I can complete it or not. That it would have been a risky play which could turn into deep troubles. Let's assume I would have built it. What would that mean?

That would mean at turn 43 I'm with 2 cities generating 3 (palace) + 6 (capital pop) + 3 (library in the capital) + 3 (second city pop) = 15:c5science: per turn. Let's say the capital at size 6 (I'm almost sure it would be 5... doesn't matter). The second city at size 3 yet completed the monument. I do have Philosophy but nowhere near the point I can use it since my second city hasn't even started library. Now I need to settle two more cities which will never be capable of completing monument+library+temple at the time Education is researched. They are struggling now. In the described scenario they would be plain useless. How is this worth it??? :rolleyes:

I'm too lazy to do the exact math. After I finish the game I'll replay this part just for comparison purposes and post the results.

Would be great if you could do this comparison. Setting aside how difficult it is get I always figured that if you view the cost of the GL as
GL - :c5production: cost of a library = free tech + GS pts its always worth it. Might not be so clear for this type of game though if you are not getting an extra GS and/or having no trouble clearing the tech to Edu in time...

Would be great if you could do this comparison. Setting aside how difficult it is get I always figured that if you view the cost of the GL as
GL - :c5production: cost of a library = free tech + GS pts its always worth it. Might not be so clear for this type of game though if you are not getting an extra GS and/or having no trouble clearing the tech to Edu in time...
Yeah, I know I promised. The problem is I moved to another computer lately and cannot find the initial save. I backed it up for this purpose specifically, so it's there somewhere. I just need to find time and energy to dig through all piles of junk on my external HD. :mischief:
For me GL is not about what you get when you get it, but what you miss regardless whether you get it or not. Theoretically it can shave off good turns in research, but if you have too few cities or low-pop capital (you obviously set production focus to have a semi-chance on deity) you'll lose them later anyways. I used to have some troubles with teching pace early but then I realized that granaries do wonders. :D Getting higher pop is all what it takes. It doesn't have to be in the capital. With four early cities you'll have higher bpt when you start working on all expensive techs than with 2 of them. So the bottom line, when you manage it, the difference is negligible, IMO. When you don't, it's a setback.

Wow, you pulled that off rather nicely! I never thought a sub 200 turn science victory was possible before reading this. Now how about a sub 200 turn cultural victory? ;)

Real sharks make 180s entries too. Depends on map, difficulty etc. :crazyeye:

I don't play culture games, they are very boring for my taste. I'll give them a shot again after release of G&K, maybe things will get better. Who knows. Anyways, I'm not closely following what's going on with these games, but as far as I understand, sub 200 is not an option. Amount of culture per turn you can generate is finite. Even with allying all possible CS and having all possible cultural buildings. Under 250 is super-uber elite result. But once again, I might be wrong.

Top Bottom