SCENARIO: American Civil War Full-Release Version

Did you enjoy playing this scenario?

• Yes, this is one of the best ever, please send it to Firaxis.

Votes: 62 39.5%
  • Yes, this scenario is well-made.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Yes, but improvements could be made.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I cannot vote at this time.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • No, I didn't really like it.

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters
William GBTW said:
I just wanted to make sure since I've meet so many people who praise the Norths raping and pillinging.

William GBTW,

OK I see.

Anyway I have never been anti-South.

Rocoteh

Rocoteh said:
William GBTW,

OK I see.

Anyway I have never been anti-South.

Rocoteh
Okay, its fine being anti-slavery but anti-South is another thing, good boy.

first post! (woo-hoo) just a few questions. 1.what do i do with a blockade runner once i get one? 2.i've compeleted the intelligence agency, why cant i conduct espionage missions. there seems to no button label E for these missions. would also like to say that i love the scenario, given the fact that im a history buff and this is one of my more favorite subjects.

ThrillKill said:
first post! (woo-hoo) just a few questions. 1.what do i do with a blockade runner once i get one? 2.i've compeleted the intelligence agency, why cant i conduct espionage missions. there seems to no button label E for these missions. would also like to say that i love the scenario, given the fact that im a history buff and this is one of my more favorite subjects.

ThrillKill,

Thank you.
I am glad to hear that you liked the scenario.

2½ year have passed since I worked with the ACW-scenario,
so I do not remember all aspects of it.

However:

You will find that the Union fleet will harass your coastal cities
and that you will have to use all your naval forces
(including blockade runners) to stop that.
What I can remember there was no bug related to the
the intelligence agency.

Rocoteh

In this version of the scen, Blockade Runners are just warships with a fancy name. As Rocoteh says, use them to fend off pesky Union warships harassing your coasts.

Do you have the Conquests expansion? If so, you may want to check out the Conquests version of this scen, linked to in my signature. :)

thank you rocoteh and conformist. actually i have your version downloaded so i think my questions should be directed towards you (at least the one concerning the espionage). i could not remember which version i had but i have to say props on the improved terain (thanks to ryhes i suppose). if i may point out one thing: the civpedia states that the CSA starts with three sloops, but i have only seen one to start. glich perhaps? thank you once again.

That sounds like a 'pedia mistake - the CSA navy was reduced fairly late into the project, and this 'pedia entry likely just was missed for updating. You should easily find out exactly how many sloops you have from checking the military advisor screen.

I can't recall any problems with espionage. I suppose I shall be looking at it tonight ...

I'm working from memory here, but depending on which version (single player or multiplayer) you downloaded, the CSA starting ship count was different. For single player it should be three (two in the Gulf and one in the Atlantic).

It's been a long time since I spend any time on this as well, so it's possible my memory is faulty as well.

I'm glad you enjoy it.

Regards
Misfit

ThrillKill said:
You're correct there's not 'E' button for espionage on the status box. Don't ask me why this is the case, because I frankly haven't got the faintest idea. However, you can still access the espionage screen by clicking on the pentagon symbol next to the name of the city with the Intelligence Agency.

yeah thanx. it took me a minute to figure that there is also a hotkey shift-e to access the missions. as to the sloop problem, there is still only one. thats no problem though as they have an extreme advantage anyway. ttyl.

I am not sure if I have PTW or just Civ III. I have the "Gold Edition". Does this make a difference? I have been unable to successfully download any of these mods.

Hello, This thread has not been active in a while I hope somebody reads this. First, let me say "OUTSTANDING JOB!!!". This is the best simulator for grand strategy of the American Civil War that I have ever seen. The map is excellent. The unit balancing and population limits are great. And, the historical detail is extremely high. You guys get an A+

I'm still working on my first full Union campaign and I'm loving it. It's spring on 1863 and victory is in sight.
1861- I was successful with cav and militia in securing Missouri and Arkansas and penetrating deep along the western appalachians. I slowly ground my way through KY and TN but attrition was very high. In the East I secured part of WV and the Shenenndohah, but mostly patience was the name of the game.
1862 - I started the year by massing troops in Lexington KY. I took Knoxville and Chattanooga and then burst onto Atlanta and took it. I gathered up all the adjacent small towns as well.
The grind continues in along the rivers. I eventually took Memphis and Nashville but it was hard fighting and attrition was heavy. In the East I took Gordonsville and began to put heavy pressure on Virginia.
1863- Mannassas finally falls. OMG that was a hard fight. Fredericksburg fell quicker and Richmond will fall in a few more turns I think. I now have the northern parts of MS, AL, and GA pretty well sewed up. Victory is almost within my grasp.

Constructive Criticism:
The progression of weapons and unit technologies is not entirely accurate.

The Sharps rifle existed before the war broke out. Sharpshooters were present at 1st Mannassas. Instead of having skirmishers be a weaker sharpshooter, perhaps skirmishers should be able to retreat and lose their stealth attack.

Breach loaders and cartridge ammunition already existed at the beginning of the war. The Spencer carbine was widely used by cavalry in 1861. With high rof carbines, dismounted cav had decent defense. Perhaps 5 defense would be better than the current 3.

The Springfield and Enfield rifles were NOT repeating rifles. They were not even breach loaders. They were muzzle loaders. Very late in the war a modification was discovered to change the Springfield into a breach loader by cutting the barrel and having the back part hinge upward. This should be one of the last technologies in the game.

Repeating rifles did find their way into the infantry in small numbers. Edwin Stanton the secretary of war in Washington made one of the stupidest decisions in the history of warfare. He deduced that if rifles had higher rate of fire, then the supply chain would have to work several times faster. He figured the supply chain would break down if that happened, and therefore infantry should continue to receive muzzle loaders. Someone put a Colt revolving rifle into Abe Lincoln's hands and he understood how good it was, and ordered as many as they could produce. The Colt revolving rifle does not use cartridges. Lever action rifles like the Henry use copper cartridges, these were very expensive. In the game repeating rifleman should be an expensive unit that does not replace normal riflemen.

These criticisms are intended to point toward more perfect historical accuracy. I in no way wish to degrade the outstanding job the developers of this scenario have done.

Great work guys,
Thank You!
Mangudai

Hello, This thread has not been active in a while I hope somebody reads this. First, let me say "OUTSTANDING JOB!!!". This is the best simulator for grand strategy of the American Civil War that I have ever seen. The map is excellent. The unit balancing and population limits are great. And, the historical detail is extremely high. You guys get an A+

I'm still working on my first full Union campaign and I'm loving it. It's spring on 1863 and victory is in sight.
1861- I was successful with cav and militia in securing Missouri and Arkansas and penetrating deep along the western appalachians. I slowly ground my way through KY and TN but attrition was very high. In the East I secured part of WV and the Shenenndohah, but mostly patience was the name of the game.
1862 - I started the year by massing troops in Lexington KY. I took Knoxville and Chattanooga and then burst onto Atlanta and took it. I gathered up all the adjacent small towns as well.
The grind continues in along the rivers. I eventually took Memphis and Nashville but it was hard fighting and attrition was heavy. In the East I took Gordonsville and began to put heavy pressure on Virginia.
1863- Mannassas finally falls. OMG that was a hard fight. Fredericksburg fell quicker and Richmond will fall in a few more turns I think. I now have the northern parts of MS, AL, and GA pretty well sewed up. Victory is almost within my grasp.

Constructive Criticism:
The progression of weapons and unit technologies is not entirely accurate.

The Sharps rifle existed before the war broke out. Sharpshooters were present at 1st Mannassas. Instead of having skirmishers be a weaker sharpshooter, perhaps skirmishers should be able to retreat and lose their stealth attack.

Breach loaders and cartridge ammunition already existed at the beginning of the war. The Spencer carbine was widely used by cavalry in 1861. With high rof carbines, dismounted cav had decent defense. Perhaps 5 defense would be better than the current 3.

The Springfield and Enfield rifles were NOT repeating rifles. They were not even breach loaders. They were muzzle loaders. Very late in the war a modification was discovered to change the Springfield into a breach loader by cutting the barrel and having the back part hinge upward. This should be one of the last technologies in the game.

Repeating rifles did find their way into the infantry in small numbers. Edwin Stanton the secretary of war in Washington made one of the stupidest decisions in the history of warfare. He deduced that if rifles had higher rate of fire, then the supply chain would have to work several times faster. He figured the supply chain would break down if that happened, and therefore infantry should continue to receive muzzle loaders. Someone put a Colt revolving rifle into Abe Lincoln's hands and he understood how good it was, and ordered as many as they could produce. The Colt revolving rifle does not use cartridges. Lever action rifles like the Henry use copper cartridges, these were very expensive. In the game repeating rifleman should be an expensive unit that does not replace normal riflemen.

These criticisms are intended to point toward more perfect historical accuracy. I in no way wish to degrade the outstanding job the developers of this scenario have done.

Great work guys,
Thank You!
Mangudai

Mangudai,

Thank you for the positive words and your comments.

ACW is since a long time a closed project (probably for ever).

This scenario was the first (Procifica was creator and I was co-creator) I worked with here at CFC.
Its now more then five years it was launched.

I am very glad to hear that people still play and enjoy ACW.

Once again:

Thank you.

Rocoteh

I haven't been here in a loooooong time, since adding my 2 cents worth into what they put together (including the map). It's good to hear that someone is still using this and is enthusiastic. Makes the little I did seem worth it. Too bad my computer crashed a couple of years ago and I lost all the stuff we went through first LOL. Maybe I ought to re-download and look at it again. It was fun. And you are correct on most of the historical data (my specialty), The Stanton info has an interesting side-bar ... it was later found in his long-lost diary that he actually blocked the introduction of repeaters, because he recieved a "monetary stipend" for volume of ammunition from 'certain' manufacturers and Colt and Henry were NOT one, therefore, a vested interest LOL. Sounds like Haliburton doesn't it? Stanton and Lincoln had a 'cool' relationship at best and Abe's enthusiasm for the Colt rifle, which he showed an exceptional ability to use on that trial (from his Ky backwoods experience), made Stanton even more resistant when even General Staff officers supported Lincoln's proposal! PS: I did propose the high expense cost and seperate path, but it was a little too hard to find a way to make sure you couldn't go directly to repeaters without some more appropriate Discovery to validate all the needed time delay to re-create some semblence of historical time-frame.

And "Hi" to Rocoteh who took over where Procifica and us left off. Been a while. :)

This is a very promising scenario. Thanks for doing something for my lil civ 3 (vanilla) game. Thanks to all the developers and their hard work.

Top Bottom