Caveman 2 Cosmos

Is there new music for all of the technology eras? This is more important than anything else. Without new entertaining music for the eras, the game will fall apart. This should be priority one over anything else.

In each ZIP is another zip for LH and FPK each needs to be in the correct location.

I'm sorry, but throughout this discussion you seem to assume that all of us who want to play what seems to be a marvelous Mod are experienced mod makers our selves. Well, I am not and the cryptic answer above is somewhat less than helpful.

For example; (1) does the unzipped folder "Leader Heads FPK" require placement in the "... Beyond The Sword/Assets" folder or the "... Caveman2Cosmos/Assets" folder?

(2) Should there now be a resulting new folder entitled "Leader Heads FPK" in the correct "Assets" folder or should there instead be (in the Assets folder) just the three files contained in the "Leader Heads FPK"?

(3) What should the correct path be to the "Custom Leaderheads" folder? Something like "... Caveman2Cosmos/Assets/Modules/Custom Leaderheads" or something else?

Your time and effort in clarifying these issues for those of us less experienced would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry, but throughout this discussion you seem to assume that all of us who want to play what seems to be a marvelous Mod are experienced mod makers our selves. Well, I am not and the cryptic answer above is somewhat less than helpful.

For example; (1) does the unzipped folder "Leader Heads FPK" require placement in the "... Beyond The Sword/Assets" folder or the "... Caveman2Cosmos/Assets" folder?

(2) Should there now be a resulting new folder entitled "Leader Heads FPK" in the correct "Assets" folder or should there instead be (in the Assets folder) just the three files contained in the "Leader Heads FPK"?

(3) What should the correct path be to the "Custom Leaderheads" folder? Something like "... Caveman2Cosmos/Assets/Modules/Custom Leaderheads" or something else?

Your time and effort in clarifying these issues for those of us less experienced would be greatly appreciated.
I had this problem on the forums when I started about here too... we've all been there at some point.

1)FPKs should go in the assets folder in the MOD folder, not just BtS.
2) No. FPKs should just go into the assets folder without being inside a subfolder. They are the graphics files condensed and readable from that location.
3) You have the correct path for the Custom Leaderheads folder listed there. Yes, inside the Modules folder. A Custom Civilizations folder would be in there as well. If there is already some data there just merge the two and overwright with any newer files.

Is there new music for all of the technology eras? This is more important than anything else. Without new entertaining music for the eras, the game will fall apart. This should be priority one over anything else.

Now that's an interesting take on things. I'm not taking much part in the newer era stuff so far but I'm surprised to hear this perspective. I don't even turn on the music... drives me nuts after a while no matter what the era or how cool the track may be at first. I think there's ways of importing music files you may currently have into the game by having the xml point to those files. Perhaps you could assist us in this effort by finding some keen tracks for these eras?

Anybody have any experience getting rid of blacked-out terrain? There is a note in another mod that says to alt-tab, then back to fix it, but that doesn't work. I'm only having this problem with CtoC.

No, I'm not talking about fog-of-war; the game loads up and only trees show up for terrain, everything else is black.

Personally, I'd rank cosmetic stuff like building graphics, music, quotes and the like near the bottom of the priority list. I'd rather focus on eliminating all current bugs and balance issues, lest a layer of polish be applied to an unfinished product.

Incidentally, having playtested the latest version, I'm wondering: Does map size effect technological development, am I playing on too low a speed (Snail, which I've heard is the "intended") or is the starting date a bit too late for many of the technologies (Petroglyphs have been around since 12-10,000 BC, while Burial Rites predate modern man). Given that I've just reached the classical era in 323 BC (and consistently rank in the top 3 for advanced, size, power and culture) and discovered writing about half a century back, I think something, either cost wise or date wise, is a bit off.

Of course, different civilizations progress at different rates, and for about a third of my thus-far around 800 turn game I've been using only one city (a mistake that's cost me dearly in SMAC), and I know this mod isn't trying to do something like Rhye's, but might be something worth discussing. I understand the esteemed Hydromancerx proposed, presumably with inspiration from Empire Earth, pushing back the start date to 500,000 BC. I wouldn't go that far (given both the Toba disaster and that the "Wise wise man" dates his evolution to 200,000 BC), but I can see good arguments for an earlier startdate (with a corresponding increase in the amount of months per turn in the prehistoric, era, of course. Maybe 12 years per turn on Snail, if you picked 10,000 B.C.? That allows around 500 turns, or a sixth of a Snail game, for the prehistoric era, going by what happened in my game at least)

Buildings seem to run into a similar issue. I'm still building Chief's Huts and Dance Halls in the Classical era, which were scarcely relevant concepts to the inhabitants of Mesopotamia or Egypt, let alone Greece or Rome (course, I'm in favour of maintaining the whole "village" schtick by limiting civs to 1 pop cities till Sedentary Lifestyle, but anyway...). Maybe make them obsolete quicker, though I'm sure an earlier start date would solve most of my gripes. Either that, or I have a crappy position (though I was still able to build the Great Wall in 15 turns thanks to a nearby stone deposit...).

On another note, I also have several suggestions in regards to religion:
Spoiler :

Another suggestion, though just as an optional game option, might be "Culturally Limited Religions". While religious preferences (some of which were tweaked in by yours truly) avoids oddities like Julius Caesar running a Yoruba theocracy, there's still something a tad odd about how religions deeply rooted in particular cultures pop up solely on the basis of who develops Technology X. I'd divide them according to the same categories as Cultural Citystyles:
Andean: Meso America
Asatru: Norse
Baha'i: Crescent (Since Persia is, after all)
Buddhism: India (yes, it's widely followed in the Orient, but by that logic we should have Christianity foundable by Anglo America)
Christianity: Middle East (Israel's files say it's this. I would have thought Arabic, Crescent and Egypt would cover all of the ME's styles, but ah well...)
Confucianism: Asia
Druid: Europe
Hellenism: Greco Roman
Hinduism: India
Islam: Arabia
Judaism: Middle East
Kemetism: Egypt
Mesopotamic: Crescent
Mormonism: Anglo America
Naghualism: Meso America
Ngaiism: Africa
Scientology: Any (it would develop first in the most advanced nations and lacks any real cultural heritage per se, being a New Age movement, so it's current status makes sense)
Shamanism: Any but Europe (Druids being their own local equivalent)
Shinto: Japan (partly for balance reasons, since I can see arguments for it being available to the other Oriental cultures)
Taoism: Asia
Tengriism: Mongolia
Voodoo: Africa (yes, the Haitian version is best known, but it originates in West Africa, as does most of Haiti's population)
Yoruba: Africa
Zoroastrianism: Crescent

Going over the styles:
Africa: Gets two.
Anglo America: Gets one, but like the civ says, it's very young by Civ standards.
Arabia: Gets one, but it's one of the Abrahamic faiths.
Asia: Gets two (pretty damn good going for just China and Korea)
Barbarian: Gets nada (obviously)
Crescent: Gets three, but it's a very influential part of the world, and one of these is a quite minor, modern one.
Egypt: Gets one, but that's accurate (in modern times, it'd be Secular and Islamic with a Christian minority) and it's one of the odder ones.
Europe: Gets one, but that's also accurate.
Greco Roman: Gets one, but see Egypt.
India: Gets two, but it's a friggin subcontinent, not to mention being neck and neck with China for the oldest continous civilization, and Buddhism is diluted across East Asia.
Iberia: Gets nada, but it's whole religious history is basically native-to-Catholic.
Japan: Gets one, but it's only one country.
Meso America: Gets two.
Mongolia: Gets one, but see Japan.
Native America: See Iberia.
Norse: Gets one, but again, it's historically accurate, and another one of the odder ones.
Russia: Gets nada, but Russia's been Atheist for most of the Modern era and the only persistant religious tradition is Orthodox Christianity.
Same goes for the other Eastern European countries.
South America: Is this one even used? I'd kill to see Age of Further Discovery's Simon Bolivar as a leaderhead, Brazil, or a loss to the weirdness of Augusto Pinochet leading the Incas. In any case, it started as and remains Christian.
South East Asia: Gets nothing, but see Iberia, and swap "Christian" for "Buddhist".
South Pacific: See Iberia.

My second idea is to eventually incorporate Abbamouse Realistic Religions mod, though obviously only with abbamouse's permission. My only issue with it, aside from it being made for a much earlier version of the game and a couple of technical things (Taoism increasing costs of hurrying across whole civ, rather than in city it's in), is that while I liked his idea to impose dietary restrictions on particular religions, using religious buildings to create penalties for resources doesn't sit well with me. Firstly, it doesn't offset the bonuses you get from these resources from building like the Grocery or Supermarket. Secondly, it implies presence of a building=widespread adoption of a religion. Such penalties would be better imposed by having Religion X as your state religion, and would be better represented by simply forbidding use of these resources. If there's some way to link state religion to inability to use a resource, that would be great. It was one of the first mods I played, and so I felt I might as well recommend it to join the long list of great mods that make up this modpack.

Other than that, though, the mod is absolutely fantastic, and seems to just keep getting better and better with each new release. Looking very forward to seeing this masterpiece completed one day.

The Galactic Era has Holt's "The Planets" music. It seemed fitting for a Space era.

Incidentally, having playtested the latest version, I'm wondering: Does map size effect technological development, am I playing on too low a speed (Snail, which I've heard is the "intended") or is the starting date a bit too late for many of the technologies (Petroglyphs have been around since 12-10,000 BC, while Burial Rites predate modern man). Given that I've just reached the classical era in 323 BC (and consistently rank in the top 3 for advanced, size, power and culture) and discovered writing about half a century back, I think something, either cost wise or date wise, is a bit off.

Of course, different civilizations progress at different rates, and for about a third of my thus-far around 800 turn game I've been using only one city (a mistake that's cost me dearly in SMAC), and I know this mod isn't trying to do something like Rhye's, but might be something worth discussing. I understand the esteemed Hydromancerx proposed, presumably with inspiration from Empire Earth, pushing back the start date to 500,000 BC. I wouldn't go that far (given both the Toba disaster and that the "Wise wise man" dates his evolution to 200,000 BC), but I can see good arguments for an earlier startdate (with a corresponding increase in the amount of months per turn in the prehistoric, era, of course. Maybe 12 years per turn on Snail, if you picked 10,000 B.C.? That allows around 500 turns, or a sixth of a Snail game, for the prehistoric era, going by what happened in my game at least)

1. I belive we ran into a problem when trying to redo the date. It have a weird "flashy crashy" error. While this error still appears once an awhile its far less now that we left the date alone. In addition the date should not matter. As said by Afforess back with RoM he wished there was not a date at all and for a short time even hide it from view so people would not complain about the dates not matching the tech. However when he did that he got a huge backlash asking where the date went and he put it back in. Needless to say the date really means nothing when it comes to this game. Some games are extremely slow while others are fast. All you really need to worry about is the turn and what era your in.

2. Esteemed?! Thank you. :blush:

Hmm... some unusually quick thinking led me to check the game speed file and learn some of it's inner workings. I've custom tweaked the turn intervals and tech/building times to give a pace of play and growth more to my own satisfaction. While, of course, one man's treasure is another man's trash, I'd be happy to offer it up as a new gamespeed (currently, it replaces the stats for Eternity, since it has the same number of turns.) if anyone's interested, though it would probably take a bit longer to make it seperate in it's own right.

I would really like to say THANK YOU:goodjob: to the modders currently helping out, this last change has made a huge difference (not out yet, Beta1), i really like the Myth stuff and quite a few of the buildings (trainers/poison stuff etc) and now even the dll has it were the Barbarians start again invading from water vehicles and making more regular towns. Thew NEW tech tree colors.

This is turning out to be a FABULOUS project; So again in my personal opinion and respect to them, THANK YOU;).

You have good points.

Besides, I think the download files should have come with a readme anyways...

I had this problem on the forums when I started about here too... we've all been there at some point.

1)FPKs should go in the assets folder in the MOD folder, not just BtS.
2) No. FPKs should just go into the assets folder without being inside a subfolder. They are the graphics files condensed and readable from that location.
3) You have the correct path for the Custom Leaderheads folder listed there. Yes, inside the Modules folder. A Custom Civilizations folder would be in there as well. If there is already some data there just merge the two and overwright with any newer files.

Thanks for your excellent response. Your clarifications are most helpful! :)

Anybody have any experience getting rid of blacked-out terrain? There is a note in another mod that says to alt-tab, then back to fix it, but that doesn't work. I'm only having this problem with CtoC.

No, I'm not talking about fog-of-war; the game loads up and only trees show up for terrain, everything else is black.

Bezhukov,
Would you perhaps have a RoM or AND Mod version in your BtS/Mods folder? If you do they will need to be moved outside of the Civ IV/BtS/ Mods path or they interfere with C2C.

Give that a try.

JosEPh :)

I would really like to say THANK YOU:goodjob: to the modders currently helping out, this last change has made a huge difference (not out yet, Beta1), i really like the Myth stuff and quite a few of the buildings (trainers/poison stuff etc) and now even the dll has it were the Barbarians start again invading from water vehicles and making more regular towns. Thew NEW tech tree colors.

This is turning out to be a FABULOUS project; So again in my personal opinion and respect to them, THANK YOU;).

You're welcome and also thanks. I agree that the new tech tree colors make the tree look awesome now. Also the myth stuff has helped move things along with their science in the prehistoric era. Now if we could only get the AI to build subdued animal buildings. :sad:

I can't wait to see CF's new Spacepedia/Astropedia in action. The whole AToM stuff should make C2C even more epic. We have come a long way from AND and even longer from RoM. I really think this mod is becoming unique and not just an add-on to exiting mods. I really wonder what Afforess or Zappara would think of this mod now.

I agree... I still think we need a full on forum for our mod... would really help. We should all pm the moderators with that request! Has this not become one of the most active mods on the site in C4? Too bad they don't wanna let us! :mad:

Hmm... animals aren't being used to build the buildings by the ai? I would have thought they were. I'll look deeper to see if we I can try advancing the routine a bit. (you may wish to attempt to give subdued animals the animal ai now based on the current dll... it may work.)

I feel we're definately making AND all it ever could be here. And there's still so much to do! It is coming together quite nicely however.

I agree... I still think we need a full on forum for our mod... would really help. We should all pm the moderators with that request! Has this not become one of the most active mods on the site in C4? Too bad they don't wanna let us! :mad:

Hmm... animals aren't being used to build the buildings by the ai? I would have thought they were. I'll look deeper to see if we I can try advancing the routine a bit. (you may wish to attempt to give subdued animals the animal ai now based on the current dll... it may work.)

I feel we're definately making AND all it ever could be here. And there's still so much to do! It is coming together quite nicely however.

I am currently writing what the AI should do with all (non-barbarian) animal units. As expected it is not simple. When I have it clearly written out I will post it on the discussion thread for comment, since it will be biased to what I think should be done with them.

Am I just an imbecile, or does Advanced Diplomacy not work? I have it enabled in a game as Spain, as well as the "Start as minor civ" option, and while I've been able to make peace with the Chinese and even trade techs, it's not mentioning anything about embassies nor any of the other possible agreements (Even if China didn't want any of these agreements, wouldn't they still be there, just red-texted out like the other no-gos?)

Also, is the option that changes civ names based on civics gone? I could have sworn I remember seeing it in an earlier version, and I thought it was a wonderful example of how little things can add so much atmosphere.

Am I just an imbecile, or does Advanced Diplomacy not work? I have it enabled in a game as Spain, as well as the "Start as minor civ" option, and while I've been able to make peace with the Chinese and even trade techs, it's not mentioning anything about embassies nor any of the other possible agreements (Even if China didn't want any of these agreements, wouldn't they still be there, just red-texted out like the other no-gos?)

Also, is the option that changes civ names based on civics gone? I could have sworn I remember seeing it in an earlier version, and I thought it was a wonderful example of how little things can add so much atmosphere.

You need to turn Advance Diplomacy options on in the BUG options as well. Silly I know they should turn on if you choose AD but don't. (AND tag)

Similarly you need to turn on the naming option in the RevDCM tag of the BUG options.

You need to turn Advance Diplomacy options on in the BUG options as well. Silly I know they should turn on if you choose AD but don't. (AND tag)

Similarly you need to turn on the naming option in the RevDCM tag of the BUG options.

I tell you what, try this:

Make a copy of C2C in the mods folder, BUT this time in the one your going to play, delete ALL the files INSIDE of UserSettings Folder (its in the same folder area as Assets). That should give you ALL the NORMAL settings of a game, then you can go into the "Lady Bug" on the screen when you first start to play and pick and choose ANY option(s) you want or dont want, let me know how that works, ok. From then on you JUST use the "BUG" options and nothing else.

I am currently writing what the AI should do with all (non-barbarian) animal units. As expected it is not simple. When I have it clearly written out I will post it on the discussion thread for comment, since it will be biased to what I think should be done with them.

You'll need me to implement that in the dll, wouldn't you? I understand some ai matters can be done in Py though so I'm not sure.

I just copied new version of C2C, ran a first game and I noticed two things..

1.)Aluminium becomes available after researching mining.. Istn't it too soon?
2.)I'm not sure but if I remember right there was an installation file in previous versions allowing to choose interface color. There is no installer in this version so my question is whether I can switch it somehow manually?

Thx

Top Bottom