Has anyone seen a game changing random event?

I did the quest to build a bunch of naval units and do one other thing. As I recall, one of the rewards was to get the equivalent of a great admiral that gave +2 exp points to naval units built in a city. But I am not sure now...

If you get the quest to find the holy mountain, do it. It give +1 happiness to every city in your empire. That is the equivalent of a great wonder!

I was playing as darius on immortal difficulty, and was getting hemmed in by ghengis knan, he even took my horses so, I had to use archers, yes archers to begin the war. So after a grueling archer vs archer I prevailed in taking 2 cities then sued for peace, he still had 6 cities and this was very early on, but I was finally able to build immortals(the great difficulty equalizer), only to find, his capitol with 40 percent cultural defense on a hill, yet lightly garrisoned (3 archers). One turn before I get there, "a slave revolt has taken place in the mongolian city of krakorum".

I had a very cool quest. I was playing Pericles/Greece and I never build Greece's UB because I usually didn't have too many happiness issues. But in the Industrial age I got a quest to build a modern sports league ( 7 odeons [ coliseums] ) before the modern age. I ignored it for the longest time but then I wanted to finish off Korea and war weariness was hitting my biggest cities so I built the 7 and it gave me some cool options for rewards. The one I selected was coliseum gives you one more :) . There was another option for +4 culture for each odeon and the last one I believe was a special reward only if you'd also built the statue of Zeus. I forget what the reward was for that one but it was better than the first ones but I hadn't built the statue so I couldn't choose that option.

Playing Peter I got an event where herbalists discovered plants in nearby forest. There were two choices, one to establish trade with them, another (costs 100g) to fund additional research with high probability of getting health (duh - expansive) and free scientist (nice! philosophical) for it. So I spent my hut savings on the gamble, and had a scientist in Moscow.

I'd almost consider this game breaking. Not because of the three beakers (although extra research certainly is helpful) but because of the Great Scientist I got in 3000BC or so... Had no idea how to best handle this (no, bulbing Sailing is right out) so probably had earliest Academy ever.

The MOD i am working on right now is going to be event orientated, but its a Fantasy game!! Or if anyone is willing to do them and Quests (and prove they work!!), i will try and put them in my MOD!!

There's one where if you shoot too many nukes, the Earth's core splits open and everyone loses! The barbarians, strangely enough, win a domination victory. WTF???

A free scientist on 3000BC sounds very game-breaking. Did you pull off an ultra-fast civil-service slingshot? It's cheap, but in that situation, it'll be a shame if you didn't.

I was playing as Germany, and me and Joao were racing for the spaceship. I got the greed quest, to consolidate my corporations power by securing the only source of silver in the world, which happened to be in his territory. sothat made up my mind and nuclear war insued. We nuked each other about 30 times total in about 3 turns, and he pummeled me with at least over 100 guided missiles. Maybe not game changing, but game ending. Global warming was rampant and I quit...

Yeah, but did you get the silver??? It'll all be worth it for the +20GPT to your corporate HQ.... :lol:

What do you think is the best random event?
I think that the one where inflation is cut 25% is very nice.

Didn't read the thread, but barbarian uprising spawns a large group of advanced barbs well before you could have any chance at being even minimally prepared, plus they can enter your territory before they'd be allowed to do so normally. That's an instant game over for at least one civ right out of the gate. Then there's bermuda triangle which wipes out ALL ships on one tile- you can lose limitless ships and troops on the ships from that- thousands and thousands of hammers lost instantly for no reason whatsoever.

Losing a granary or tile improvement early is a huge, huge handicap. Same with early slave revolts.

the worst events are, generally, hurricanes (lose buildings), slave uprisings, things that destroy improvements, and barb uprisings - barb uprisings can be very dangerous early in the game and are routinely hated.

the quests are generally pretty good, but they are rarely game breaking. stuff like cover or shock, though - those are pretty big.

Some of the diplomatic bad (or good) events can be problematic, though.

I like playing with events on because it does add a bit of randomness to what are usually boring tech>build-up>stomp games.

Unfortunately, all my "game-breaking" events were very bad. Worse one was a Hurricane hitting my capitol only a few turns from snagging the Colossus and destroying my forge.
That was an instant re-start. Another one that comes to mind in a long series of slave revolts, one after another during the early game. That absolutely crippled my early expansion and development. Funny how ~10 turns of revolt can take you ~500 turns to recoup from.

They add too much randomness most of the time.. I now have them turned off.

Forge destroyed in a Hurricane a few turns from completion?

Just rebuild it :)

A few turns from completion, second hurricane destroys forge.. :(

Third time, a few turns from finishing, an AI civ builds the colossus. :crazyeye:

As long as there's so much necro.

Vedic Aryans are well documented. That's often a "game over" card.

Top Bottom