Noob modder here.

waldoyamada

Chieftain
I am currently going step by step with Kael's guide and I have hit the roadblock. I'm trying to create a civilization in accordance to the guide and I ran tests and for some reason the Game Text is not being recognized. The Civ_Celt.xml file will show the text as KEY_TEXT_CIV_CELT (something like that). How do you connect the Game Text .xml file to display the text as you want it?

Another is the icon. l made my own Icon yet it is not displaying. It shows Queen Elizabeth as the leader and I want to show the icon I made for the new civ.

Please help!!! If there are any other guides to modding please make it known on this thread so that I can follow through with it.

Thanks.

I can't really help without you uploading your code, but a guess is that you forgot to to set the UpdateDatabase action for your gametext XML file in modbuddy. Also, did you import the icon into VFS?

That, or duplication of one of the text tags - those are probably the two most likely errors in a text file.

Of course, we really can't do anymore than guess unless you attach the built mod and enable logs...

Will do, I will start from scratch again and go by the recommendations you guys said. Thanks for replying. I will hopefully post my code later on today.

This is the Game Text

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Created by ModBuddy on 11/1/2014 12:11:42 PM -->
<GameData>

<Language_en_US>
			<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BIBRACTE">
				<Text>Bibracte</Text>
			</Row>
			<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_VIENNE">
				<Text>Vienne</Text>
			</Row>
			<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TOLOSA">
				<Text>Tolosa</Text>
			</Row>
			<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV_CELT_ADJECTIVE">
				<Text>Celtic</Text>
			</Row>
			<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV_CELT_DESC">
				<Text>Celtic Empire</Text>
			</Row>
			<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV_CELT_SHORT_DESC">
				<Text>Celtia</Text>
			</Row>

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_CELT_HEADING_1">
				<Text>History</Text>
			</Row>
			<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_CELT_TEXT_1">
				<Text>The Celts were a diverse group of tribal societies in Iron Age and Roman-era Europe who spoke Celtic languages.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]The earliest archaeological culture commonly accepted as Celtic, or rather Proto-Celtic, was the central European Hallstatt culture (ca. 800-450 BC), named for the rich grave finds in Hallstatt, Austria. By the later La Tène period (ca. 450 BC up to the Roman conquest), this Celtic culture had expanded over a wide range of regions, whether by diffusion or migration: to the British Isles (Insular Celts), the Iberian Peninsula (Celtiberians, Celtici ), much of Central Europe, (Gauls) and following the Gallic invasion of the Balkans in 279 BC as far east as central Anatolia (Galatians).[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]The earliest directly attested examples of a Celtic language are the Lepontic inscriptions, beginning from the 6th century BC. Continental Celtic languages are attested only in inscriptions and place-names. Insular Celtic is attested from about the 4th century AD in ogham inscriptions, although it is clearly much earlier. Literary tradition begins with Old Irish from about the 8th century. Coherent texts of Early Irish literature, such as the Táin Bó Cúailnge (The Cattle Raid of Cooley), survive in 12th-century recensions. According to the theory of John T. Koch and others, the Tartessian language may have been the earliest directly attested Celtic language with the Tartessian written script used in the inscriptions based on a version of a Phoenician script in use around 825 BC.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]By the early 1st millennium AD, following the expansion of the Roman Empire and the Great Migrations (Migration Period) of Germanic peoples, Celtic culture had become restricted to the British Isles (Insular Celtic), and the Continental Celtic languages ceased to be widely used by the 6th century.</Text>
			</Row>
		</Language_en_US>

</GameData>

And the Civ.xml They're all copy and past from the guide

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Created by ModBuddy on 11/1/2014 12:09:45 PM -->
<GameData>
	<Civilizations>
		<Row>
			<Type>CIVILIZATION_CELT</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_CIV_CELT_DESC</Description>
			<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_CIV_CELT_SHORT_DESC</ShortDescription>
			<Adjective>TXT_KEY_CIV_CELT_ADJECTIVE</Adjective>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV_CELT_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<CivilopediaTag>TXT_KEY_CIV5_CELT</CivilopediaTag>
			<DefaultPlayerColor>PLAYERCOLOR_LIGHT_BLUE</DefaultPlayerColor>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND</ArtDefineTag>
			<ArtStyleType>ARTSTYLE_EUROPEAN</ArtStyleType>
			<ArtStyleSuffix>_EURO</ArtStyleSuffix>
			<ArtStylePrefix>EUROPEAN </ArtStylePrefix>
			<PortraitIndex>6</PortraitIndex>
			<IconAtlas>CIV_COLOR_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
			<AlphaIconAtlas>CIV_ALPHA_ATLAS</AlphaIconAtlas>
			<MapImage>MapEngland512.dds</MapImage>
			<DawnOfManQuote>TXT_KEY_CIV5_CELT_TEXT_1</DawnOfManQuote>
			<DawnOfManImage>DOM_Elizabeth.dds</DawnOfManImage>
		</Row>
	</Civilizations>
	<Civilization_CityNames>
		<Row>
			<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_CELT</CivilizationType>
			<CityName>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BIBRACTE</CityName>
		</Row>
		<Row>
			<CityName>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_VIENNE</CityName>
		</Row>
		<Row>
			<CityName>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TOLOSA</CityName>
		</Row>
	</Civilization_CityNames>
	<Civilization_FreeBuildingClasses>
		<Row>
			<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_PALACE</BuildingClassType>
		</Row>
	</Civilization_FreeBuildingClasses>
	<Civilization_FreeTechs>
		<Row>
			<TechType>TECH_AGRICULTURE</TechType>
		</Row>
	</Civilization_FreeTechs>
	<Civilization_FreeUnits>
		<Row>
			<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_SETTLER</UnitClassType>
			<Count>1</Count>
			<UnitAIType>UNITAI_SETTLE</UnitAIType>
		</Row>
	</Civilization_FreeUnits>
	<Civilization_Leaders>
		<Row>
			<LeaderheadType>LEADER_ELIZABETH</LeaderheadType>
		</Row>
	</Civilization_Leaders>
	<Civilization_Start_Region_Priority>
		<Row>
			<RegionType>REGION_FOREST</RegionType>
		</Row>

</Civilization_Start_Region_Priority>

</GameData>

Code:
[233619.671] **** Validating Game Database *****
[233622.718] Performing Localization Checks
[233622.718] Checking Tag Format...
[233622.718] Note: Tags must only use [A-Z_] characters, start with 'TXT_KEY_', and be under 128 characters long.
[233622.734] Validating UnitGameplay2DScripts
[233622.734] Missing Entry for UNIT_BARBARIAN_HORSEMAN
[233622.734] **** VALIDATION FAILED *****
[233622.734] Validation Took 3.059553 seconds
[233623.312] **** Validating Prefetch Process *****
[233623.312] **** Validation Success *****
[233623.312] SetGlobalActionInfo
[233623.312] 
-- SQLite Memory Statistics --
Memory Usage:
		[Cur]		[Max]
Malloc:		6216176		75786776
PageCache:	6		12
LookAside:	0		0
Scratch:	0		1

Static Buffer Overflows:
		[TooLarge]	[NoSpace]
PageCache:	5801208		62881896
Scratch:	0		0

Largest Allocations:
Malloc:		262144
PageCache:	1172
Scratch:	6640

Prepared Statements:
Current:		6
------------------------------
[233623.343] **** Validating Game Database *****
[233626.312] Performing Localization Checks
[233626.312] Checking Tag Format...
[233626.312] Note: Tags must only use [A-Z_] characters, start with 'TXT_KEY_', and be under 128 characters long.
[233626.328] Validating UnitGameplay2DScripts
[233626.328] Missing Entry for UNIT_BARBARIAN_HORSEMAN
[233626.328] **** VALIDATION FAILED *****
[233626.328] Validation Took 2.984530 seconds
[233626.906] **** Validating Prefetch Process *****
[233626.906] **** Validation Success *****
[233626.906] SetGlobalActionInfo
[233626.906] 
Memory Usage:
		[Cur]		[Max]
Malloc:		6217352		75786776
PageCache:	6		12

Static Buffer Overflows:
		[TooLarge]	[NoSpace]
PageCache:	5802384		62881896

Largest Allocations:

Prepared Statements:
Current:		6
[233650.078] **** Validating Game Database *****
[233653.078] Performing Localization Checks
[233653.078] Checking Tag Format...
[233653.078] Note: Tags must only use [A-Z_] characters, start with 'TXT_KEY_', and be under 128 characters long.
[233653.093] Validating UnitGameplay2DScripts
[233653.093] Missing Entry for UNIT_BARBARIAN_HORSEMAN
[233653.093] **** VALIDATION FAILED *****
[233653.093] Validation Took 3.026489 seconds
[233653.671] **** Validating Prefetch Process *****
[233653.671] **** Validation Success *****
[233653.671] SetGlobalActionInfo
[233653.671] 
Memory Usage:
		[Cur]		[Max]
Malloc:		6347616		75786776
PageCache:	7		13

Static Buffer Overflows:
		[TooLarge]	[NoSpace]
PageCache:	5928216		62881896

Largest Allocations:

Prepared Statements:
Current:		8

What game version do you play? Vanilla, GnK or BNW?
I'm pretty sure Kael's Guide is outdated.

And, can you please deliver a copy of database.log?

OK, let me get this straight. :)
You play with all the DLC and Addons and want to add a civilization called "CIVILIZATION_CELT"?
That will not work because there already is a celt's civilization with the same tags. Tags must be unique.

Thanks for the database. Please try to make completely new tags (they may not appear in any other DLC or addon you have active) and show us a new database.log again. :)

EDIT:
Whoward created some very good templates for all civs, units and so on.
You may want to use them to create new civilizations: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=490901
Just a hint because I find it way more easy to use complete civs for new ones than copy/pasting them together.

I was going by Kael's guide as a structure. I have added more to it so I will upload a new database.log again. Thanks a lot :) I appreciate it. I will work on the tags right away.

I was going by Kael's guide as a structure. I have added more to it so I will upload a new database.log again. Thanks a lot :) I appreciate it. I will work on the tags right away.
Yeah, I know. But as I said, Kael's guide is outdated and you will get errors as long as you use it's code. ;)

OK, let me get this straight. :)
You play with all the DLC and Addons and want to add a civilization called "CIVILIZATION_CELT"?
That will not work because there already is a celt's civilization with the same tags. Tags must be unique.
Half right here. Yes, the <Type> tag must be unique... but it is. The Firaxis civ is called CIVILIZATION_CELTS. That one letter makes all the difference.

Waldo, a built mod is much more helpful than several posts full of codes, though I must commend you for realizing that
Code:
 blocks exist. Most newcomers don't.

Half right here. Yes, the <Type> tag must be unique... but it is. The Firaxis civ is called CIVILIZATION_CELTS. That one letter makes all the difference.

Wow, I actually never realized the "S".
Thanks!

Waldo, a built mod is much more helpful than several posts full of codes, though I must commend you for realizing that
Code:
 blocks exist. Most newcomers don't.[/QUOTE]

Thanks A.W. I usually have whimsical guess with codes. Sometimes I'm right but this time; when modding, my luck has drawn out.

Thanks A.W. I usually have whimsical guess with codes. Sometimes I'm right but this time; when modding, my luck has drawn out.
That's not quite the point I was trying to make to you... (Assuming you're talking about the first part of my post, which was directed at SepticStreets, since he was trying to direct your attention to an error you didn't make)

To reiterate:
Code:
 blocks exist. Most newcomers don't. [/QUOTE]
Or to put it a different way, we can actually diagnose your problem and throw out random guesses if you [I]attach[/I] the [I]built[/I] version of the [B][I]mod[/I][/B], not the XML!
And, because I''ve seen lots of new modders do this: built mod =/= firaxis modbuddy project.

This is what AggressiveWimp means: whoward69's zip your mods and attach tutorial
Because the errors that I am seeing in your database logs are reporting problems that are not showing anywhere in the chunks of XML code you have posted so far.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though one problem is that it is <Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides> and not <Civilization_BuildingClassrides> as the database reports you are trying to use. Unless of course this particular error is coming from another mod that you have downloaded from Steam (for example).

<Traits> has no column named <TradeRouteChange>, which is another error being reported. Same problem as for using <TradeRouteModifier> for <Buildings>, as noted at the bottom of this post.

Also from your code:
Code:
[245854.890] columns Language, Tag are not unique
[245854.890] While executing - 'insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
[245854.890] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') with  values (TXT_KEY_CIV5_INCA_SLINGER_TEXT, , ).
[245854.890] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_en_US from file XML/Units.xml.
Lines with the same error code number at the beginning of the line are related to each other, but you have to learn how to read the groups of lines that are for the same basic type of error. Notice that the top line and bottom line I have quoted here are the same. Generally you will get this in the DataBase.log for an error that occured within the <Language_en_US>. But the following three lines are for a different error:
Code:
[245854.890] table Buildings has no column named TradeRouteModifier
[245854.890] 
[245854.890] In XMLSerializer while updating table Buildings from file XML/Buildings.xml.
and here is another grouping:
Code:
[245854.890] table Traits has no column named TradeRouteChange
[245854.890] 
[245854.890] In XMLSerializer while updating table Traits from file XML/Trait.xml.
All three groupings have the same starting error number, but there are three different errors being reported. Note that with the exception of the <Language_en_US> errors, the last line of each error group reports which file contained the error. So with the exception of the <Language_en_US> reports, that is your signal that any following lines are due to a different error.

So these lines
Code:
[245854.890] While executing - 'insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
[245854.890] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') with  values (TXT_KEY_CIV5_INCA_SLINGER_TEXT, , ).
[245854.890] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_en_US from file XML/Units.xml.
are telling you that you have a <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_SOMETHING"> which is an exact repeat of something the game already has, and that the repeat is TXT_KEY_CIV5_INCA_SLINGER_TEXT. Repeat errors of this kind cause the game to discard the entire file where they are located. The same will be true of the errors with Civilization_BuildingClassrides and <TradeRouteChange> within <Traits> : the game discards the entire file where those sorts of errors occur.

Code:
[245857.093] Invalid Reference on Leader_Traits.TraitType - "TRAIT_LAND_OF_OUR_FATHERS" does not exist in Traits
Is stating that there is no such defined leader trait as TRAIT_LAND_OF_OUR_FATHERS, but this is probably occuring because of the earlier error in <Traits> is eliminating that file where "TRAIT_LAND_OF_OUR_FATHERS" is being defined.

Code:
[245854.890] table Buildings has no column named TradeRouteModifier
[245854.890] 
[245854.890] In XMLSerializer while updating table Buildings from file XML/Buildings.xml.
BNW changed <TradeRouteModifier> to <CityConnectionTradeRouteModifier>, so while <TradeRouteModifier> is good for Vanilla and G&K, it is no good for BNW.

Top Bottom