NESing by the Numbers

The above numbers are the hard facts, and here's some ratings as things go. Needless to say, while this could be a stepping stone to accumulating player statistics, for the time being, all I can do is measure people based on their performance as moderators. to that end, it must be said, we've had over 100 moderators over the years. Most moderators rarely progress beyond a single NES, which usually dies on arrival or shortly thereafter. Based on a conversation with DarthNader, here is a tiered approach on moderator popularity based on the number of Posts their NESes have received. I'm not trying to insult or deride anyone's efforts with this post, I'm simply showing the volume of chatter on related NESes. This does not mean that any of us are inherently better than anyone else at moderating, as many a NES is more spam than anything else, and therefore, may not actually be better in terms of quality.

Tier One (above 15,000 posts on all combined NESes)

1. EQandCivfanatic (35,250)
2. das (30,337)
3. Jason the King (27,984)
4. Daftpanzer (17,876)

Tier Two (Above 10,000 posts on all combined NESes)

1. Lord Iggy (12,086)
2. North King (11,282)
3. stalin006 (11,035)

Tier Three (Above 5,000 posts on all combined NESes)

1. nuclear kid (9,628)
2. Azale (9,273)
3. Birdjaguar (8,792)
4. Imago (8,510)
5. Sheep (7,801)
6. luckymoose (7,702)
7. Goober (6,728)
8. Amon Savag (6,472)
9. Stormbringer (6,188)
10. Imago (5,681)
11. uknemesis (5,469)
12. Kamilian (5,468)

To stroke someone else's curiosity, could you please extend this list a bit further?

Also, you seem to have missed LINES II: Part II unless I'm misreading the excel file. ;)

This is actually quite fascinating.

It does seem like there's some reality behind the perception of a quantitative decline...

Arguably the next major thing to do would be to open one of those picture-laden Civ-Story threads which I know a lot of the old guard read before joining; it became a major draw for people interested in the confluence of games and stories, and from there, led them into our forum.

I joined this forum primarily for Civ 3 S&T, and I saw the link to the NES forum every time I checked my favorite forum. I clicked on it perhaps once, but it didn't interest me, primarily because I didn't really have the slightest idea of what's going on. That said, there are a lot of S&Ters that might make good NESers.

Also, is it possible to make a list of mods based on average post length in all their NESes?

In the Great 8 :D

@North King: I never actually thought about putting view count in there, but yeah, there's so many ways to measure a NES, I just picked the two easiest. After all, this involved reading every single NES on the forum, which is why it took so damn long. As for NESes with multiple moderators, I put the primary moderator as the listed one. I should also note that multiple moderators could also probably be mathematically proven to have an enormous rate of failure, simply because in the process of reading them, I saw almost all of them crash and burn before they even had a single update. As for LINES II Part 2, I may have missed it, and if you can find the link, I'll check it with what I've got. I went thread by thread though, so it's probably in there somewhere.

@technojock: Yes, I counted Update 0s, because they are still usually updates. Some moderators have even allowed people to send some sort of orders for them. Same goes for Boring Times in those sort of NESes.

@Boundless: I certainly could extend that list further, I simply qualified them by those numbers because that's the automatic setting that the Access pivot chart gave me. The biggest barrier to doing so is that most moderators never came above 1,000 posts total.

@GamezRule: North King is right, without some sort of automatic counting system, doing a average word length would be a further, incredibly tedious task which would take a lot of time and energy. I don't think it can be done.

I know the name Never Ending Story implies that a NES should never end, but is there any statistical relevance to NESes that, in effect, reached their proposed conclusion?

A weird and abstract question, to be sure, but one that reached me as I read through the statistics.

I know the name Never Ending Story implies that a NES should never end, but is there any statistical relevance to NESes that, in effect, reached their proposed conclusion?

A weird and abstract question, to be sure, but one that reached me as I read through the statistics.

Interestingly enough, this NES was planned with a set limit of turns.

@Dreadnought: While I could determine such a answer, the fact is that the majority of NESes never have any sort of conclusion. Those that do rarely reach the stated conclusion at the beginning by the end. Typically there's a moderator written summary which details the aftermath of the NES for NESes that actually have a conclusion. Now I don't have the maths to back that up off hand, but based on the reading, that's the best statement I can give you.

@Boundless: I certainly could extend that list further, I simply qualified them by those numbers because that's the automatic setting that the Access pivot chart gave me. The biggest barrier to doing so is that most moderators never came above 1,000 posts total.

A list down to 1000 would be awesome please! :D

I should also note that multiple moderators could also probably be mathematically proven to have an enormous rate of failure, simply because in the process of reading them, I saw almost all of them crash and burn before they even had a single update.

The ones I just quoted didn't.

As for LINES II Part 2, I may have missed it, and if you can find the link, I'll check it with what I've got. I went thread by thread though, so it's probably in there somewhere.

Unless you alphabetized it in some way that didn't put it between LINES II Part I and Part III, it's not in there.

@North King: You may be right, I don't see it either. If anyone could provide me the link so that I may add it in, I'd be very grateful. And yes, I know, some multi-modded NESes didn't burn out, but most did, spectactularly.

This is as far as I'm willing to go for now, but I'll add it to the first post eventually, once I'm down to 1000+.

Tier One (above 15,000 posts on all combined NESes)

1. EQandCivfanatic (35,250)
2. das (30,337)
3. Jason the King (27,984)
4. Daftpanzer (17,876)

Tier Two (Above 10,000 posts on all combined NESes)

1. Lord Iggy (12,086)
2. North King (11,282)
3. stalin006 (11,035)

Tier Three (Above 5,000 posts on all combined NESes)

1. nuclear kid (9,628)
2. Azale (9,273)
3. Birdjaguar (8,792)
4. Imago (8,510)
5. Sheep (7,801)
6. luckymoose (7,702)
7. Goober (6,728)
8. Amon Savag (6,472)
9. Stormbringer (6,188)
10. Imago (5,681)
11. uknemesis (5,469)
12. Kamilian (5,468)

Tier Four (Above 4,000 Posts on All NESes)

1. Warman17 (4,989)
2. Gelion (4,182)
3. TheLizardKing (4,122)

Tier Five (Above 3,000 Posts on all NESes)

1. aaminion00 (3,755)
2. Disenfranchised (3,454)
3. Abaddon (3,218)
4. Thlayli (3,074)
5. jalapeno dude (3,050)
6. The Farow (3,006)

Rather interesting. Glad I made it into the 4th Tier. How have you managed this date with pre-NES threads? Some are spam-like, however the Pre-NES thread for my LizNES6 had actual updates included in it, just pre-NES updates.

There it is ;) I am sure someone I know would be proud to be on that list.

The only thing I see from the numbers is that Nesing begun slowly, grew very large on it's second year and since then has been going through a slow process of dying.

In all Stats we see a growth at the second year of Nesing and then a fall. In number of Neses and more importantly in the number of updates we can see that it's mostly going down since 2003.

Both number of Neses and Updates peak in 2003 while number of posts peak in 2006 and then sees its own fall as well.

Nesing seems like it's slowly dying out ever since it was born.

According to update per year this is the equation I get that fits best (years are 1-11)
y = -0.284x6 + 10.695x5 - 158.76x4 + 1171.2x3 - 4425.6x2 + 7762.4x - 3892
R² = 0.9939
And according to the Excel "forcast" forward, we are only going down from now. And fast. Everything else also shows us going down, thou slower.

All that's left is to see if 2012 will see a rise or a fall...

Never properly connecting with the Civ4 community could have been the start of the decline.

Also Mods should be counted by number of updates not by number of posts. That's just show how spammy they are.

Also - Average lies. I wonder what is the Median for updates per NES. (0?)

Top Bottom