Editing Civs?

1SDANi

Sister Lady
I've recently gotten interested in modding Civ V. I've looked around at many tutorials but all of my attempts at editing the base game civs have failed. I would really like to make a mod that edits an old civ instead of adding a new one as I feel it'd be annoying having 2 Washingtons and unintuitive to be forced to download that mod that removes vanilla civs to play my mod.

So, how would I go about replacing a UA, UU, UB etc with my own?

I'm aiming to replace the UA and other unique bonuses Civs have with new ones as to better balance the game

Well, yeah, I got that from your first post. I kind of meant, what's an example of a specific change you want to make?

Consider this:
To replace a UB, for example, you can edit the code that sets defines building X as a UB so that it instead makes building Y the UB, and then create building Y. Or, you can completely edit all the properties of building X so that they now match what the properties of building Y would have been had you created it.
The same logic goes for changing a UA and UU.
Which method would you prefer?

Oh, I'd prefer the changing of the UB from UB X to UB Y, seems like it'd cause less incompatibilities.

Sorry, I really didn't understand what you meant.

Well, in that case, you can use this as a template for the XML:
Spoiler :
Code:
<GameData>
	<Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
		<Update>
			<Where CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_XYZ" BuildingClassType="BUILDINGCLASS_X" BuildingType="BUILDING_X"/>
			<Set BuildingClassType="BUILDINGCLASS_Y" BuildingType="BUILDING_Y"/>
		</Update>
	</Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>

<Buildings>
		<!-- Create BUILDING_Y here -->
	</Buildings>
</GameData>
I don't know what you know, so I can link you to a couple of introductory tutorials to making buildings if you need.
The process of switching UUs is rather similar:
Spoiler :
Code:
<GameData>
	<Civilization_UnitClassOverrides>
		<Update>
			<Where CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_XYZ" UnitClassType="UNITCLASS_X" UnitType="UNIT_X"/>
			<Set UnitClassType="UNITCLASS_Y" UnitType="UNIT_Y"/>
		</Update>
	</Civilization_UnitClassOverrides>

<Units>
		<!-- Create UNIT_Y here -->
	</Units>
</GameData>
UA process is similar but deals with leaders rather than civilizations:
Spoiler :
Code:
<GameData>
	<Leader_Traits>