The Last Resort Thread for Crashes

AW Arcaeca

Deus Vult
So I've got two new civ mods that just crash for no ostensible reason - and if history is my guide, there will probably be a couple more, and I hope to be able to look back to this thread as a checklist to be able to solve those problems. As a second bonus, the solutions hopefully someone comes up with in this thread could be included in LeeS' modding error checklist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By crash I mean the game freezes up and the sound stops, windows gives me a message saying "Sid Meier's Civilization V has stopped working" and I have to use task manager to forcefully kill the program, which counts as crashing in my book.

I've disabled all lua so the problem is either coming from music, artwork, or XML, and I don't think the former two can make a mod crash. So in regard to the XML, neither ModBuddy, the logs (database, XML, and lua), and j_mie's XML checker all yield no errors. I've tried clearing my cache, but no dice.

The game will crash, for both mods, anywhere between when I found my first city as the new civ and about 5 turns later. I can confirm that the civs all have 10 spy names, both UCs work just fine, and they do not share city names with any other civ.

Running the game on G&K with everything in the XML, that I'm aware of, being G&K-friendly. All the necessary files have been given UpdateDatabase entries.

For some reason the unit shows up invisible in-game; compared to the crash that's a fairly minor error, but I dunno, maybe they're connected somehow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, given that, is anyone aware of any kind of XML errors that could cause the game to freeze up inconsistently, and which are completely missed by 3 layers of security?

Due to my secrecy, if anyone wants to review the code, I'd rather have them review the coding in secret rather than just attaching my mod for anyone to find out my plans. That's not going to do me a lot of help, but it's just how I am. :p

But I'd just like to see what anyone can point me towards from their experience. I can't think of what else needs to be checked... :(

TIA and sorry for the incessant pleas for help and the really long post,
AW

No one has ever experienced any kind of crash like this before? :(
I've been comparing the XML in my crashing mods to the XML in some of my functional mods and can't find anything out of the ordinary...

Could the recent patch have anything to do with it? I dunno...

With gods and kings، my game sometimes just stopped working... i have no idea why... i just got used to it.

Do you have a scenario map with preplaced cities via worldbuilder?
Nope. I find that the Civ5 worldbuilder is much less intuitive than the civ4 one, so I don't use it much.
With gods and kings، my game sometimes just stopped working... i have no idea why... i just got used to it.
:/ The game works perfectly fine for me, except when I try to run these two particular mods I'm trying to make, so I'm inclined to believe that something in them is the problem...

Top Bottom