Nobles' Club CLIX Mao of China

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

Our next leader is Mao of China, whom we last played in NC XCIII; we last played the Chinese under Qin in NC CXXXV. The Chinese start with Agriculture and Mining.
  • Traits: Mao is Expansive and Protective. EXP gives +2:health: per city and faster production of workers (+25% on :hammers:), granaries and harbours (both +100% on :hammers:). PRO gives faster walls and castles, and all archery (and gunpowder) units start with Drill I and City Garrison I. This synthesizes with the UU, an archery unit.
  • The UB: The Pavilion, a Theatre with +25% culture.

• The UU: The Cho-Ko-Nu, a Crossbowman with an extra first strike (2 instead of 1) that does collateral damage. With a fast Machinery bulb these can sometimes be good city attack units.
And the start:

Spoiler map details :
Fractal - Toroidal.
Spoiler edits :
No edits were made.
Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC number Leader Noble" (or Monarch, etc., for higher levels). You can play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.
Spoiler what's up with specific difficulties :
In each scenario file you can select your level of difficulty, but that doesn't give the AI the right bonus techs by itself. Use the Noble save for all levels at and below Prince. The Monarch save gives all the AI Archery. Emperor adds Hunting; Immortal adds Agriculture; Deity adds The Wheel.

For players on Monarch or above, you should add archery as a tech for the barbarians (if you don't, the AI will capture their cities very early). This cannot be done in the WB save file and must be done in Worldbuilder as follows:
Spoiler how to add techs to the barbarians :

1. Zoom in all the way so you can't see the rest of the map.
  2. Use the CTRL-W key (or the menu) to enter the worldbuilder. Avoid looking at the mini-map in the lower right corner.
  3. By default you're in "player" mode (look in the box in the upper right; the icon that looks like a person should be selected). You'll get a drop down menu labeled with your leader's name. Barbarians are at the bottom, so cover the rest of the list with your hand if you don't want to see who else is on the map. Select "Barbarians".
  4. Select the "Technologies" tab in the box on the left.
  5. Find Archery (the arrow head icon; 8th row, 3rd column from the right) and click it.
  6. Exit the worldbuilder.
  7. Zoom out again after the map fades, and start playing.
If you're playing at higher level than Monarch, consider also giving them Hunting at Emperor, Agriculture at Immortal, and The Wheel at Deity.
Spoiler huts and events :
Note: The standard saves have no huts and have events turned off. If you want tribal villages and random events, choose the saves with "Huts" in their names. If you want huts but no events, select the Huts saves and use Custom Scenario to turn on the option that suppresses events.

Attachments

• NC159_Mao.zip
    187 KB · Views: 298
Spoiler Advice on Map Difficulty :
People have found this map a bit tough, definitely NOT one to move up a level!!

Winners

Name | Level | Options | Speed | Victory Type | Date
hankinsohl|Emperor|NHNE|Standard|Diplomatic|1820AD
Noble Zarkon|Noble|NHNE|Standard|Religious|1615AD

Agree with SIP; looks like islands so maybe GLH.
Will have to resist using stone for wonders, but if in fact islands may temper some other wonder enthusiasm.
I've not done a machinery bulb so I think, at the outset and having not reviewed the map, will be a learning point/strategy for this game.

Edit: Not sure I ever have built Moai in capital, wondering if that will be a reasonable move here with 10 water tiles. I usually go for 15+ water tiles for Moai but that means I end up building it later than I probably should. Problem will be the 2 national wonders, which I usually do NE +/- Oxford.

This is the kind of start I love with the Chinese,riverside corn.Personaly Il be going BW,build barracks,grow to size 2,switch to worker,whip worker...fingers crossed for bronze,although being NC iron should be around somewhere near?

@dmd175-the palace can always be built somewhere else...The coast tiles could be worth working if you had Moao and the colossus.This is never going to be a beuracracy capitol,or a capitol full stop,so moao here could be a plan since we have stone.

Looks pretty difficult to me. Could settle on stone, but with the lack of good tiles to work here it's probably better to actually SIP and improve the stone so it can be worked. Not sure I'm brave enough to play this on Deity. Starts like this can easily leave you boxed in, and if not there's also the fact that he surrounding land doesn't look promising at all - at least not from this screen shot. It would be considerably better for Qin since he could do more with Ind + stone.

ugh..don't like toriodal

Yep, Iz and the map hurts my brain

hmm settling on stone is kinda something I would think about...
a) you don't need to build quarry
b) you will have bonus hammer
c) that blue circle could hint towards hidden another sea food

disadvantage is losing plains hill which will probably cost a bit time when building stone wonders.

My first ever game at emperor, so help wanted!

Spoiler :

Thought about vranasm's stone settle and FS's rax/whip worker, but did SIP (thought I'd want the PH tile) and worker first (BW was 15 turns away, so worker would be whipped anyway on turn 15 and it takes 15 turns to build de novo).

Fishing > BW > AH > Mas > Myst > Wheel > Sail > Pottery > Write > MC

Turn 12: Meet Wang Kon and Willem, so tech race anyone? (addendum, turn 24 we see Willem has gold in BFC, seriously?)

Turn 22: Whipped WB. Then warrior, settler to get the copper/FP site to the West (Future capital as FS mentioned...?)

Turn 36: 2 pop whipped settler. Settled sheep to West to claim copper and marble in BFC.

Turn 53: Stonehenge (stone, counter Willem's creative)

Turn 57: Willem founds Judaism. Glad he is researching that line.

Turn 66: Meet Ramesses, on island to E. Found cow/silk city. I'd like to move more West and block Willem (e.g. cow/gem) but his city somewhere to S/SW blocks that site. Then he did this: (I was going to settle, in his face, 1W of Rotterdam...)
Spoiler for Willem signing his own death warrant :

Turn 78: GLH, Nanjing.

Turn 87: Moai in Beijing.

Turn 89: Oracle went, I missed it. GP, settled in Guangzhou - which I think will be future capital as center of our island.

Spoiler :

Analysis:
--I figured my first emperor game, given recent monarch games, would be more warring. I didn't given far bronze, lack of enthusiasm about chariot rush, and a perceived need to settle westward.
--Willem settled in my face before I could do it to him, but I have more room left to the north.
--Consequently I delayed OB. This delayed Willem sending missionaries to me (a few went to WK).
--I need the happiness, so brief OB.
--Should have prioritized Oracle?
--Didn't get a GS but a GP, so trying for GS. Academy in western cottage city.
--Not enough military?
--Maybe should have chariot rushed?
--Need to meet others and trade.
--Too wonder heavy for Emperor?
--Poor leverage of GLH so far (would have moved 2nd city 1W to coast).
--I have 2nd biggest empire but only 4 cities to WK's 5, Egypt's 7 (?)
Spoiler :

--Tech: alpha and IW behind, and I know Willem has COL, but no one has currency, math.
Spoiler :

Plans:
--Cities S of Beijing.
--Hook up silver.
--Spread a religion.
--Cho-Ko-Nu...meet Willem.

@dmd
Spoiler :
shanghai seems a strange settle to me,after you've taken the trouble to build the GLH,you either want to settle for the marble OR the copper to keep your city on the coast for the extra trade route.Waiting to get both in the BFC from stone henge monument is a mistake imo.

Ive not played many turns myself,but can tell its going to be a tough map.I play with huts/events on and got AH with a hut,thats going to change my tech path to yours,but the advice I can give you is-our starting lands rubbish,war,war,war in the early game until we get some decent citys.Chariot rushes only work well if the AI is on your doorstep,WvO is too far away to consider it I think,and with Emporer city maintainance costs you could kill your game by taking over too many long distance citys early on.

@dmd
Spoiler :
shanghai seems a strange settle to me,after you've taken the trouble to build the GLH... mistake imo.
Spoiler :

Totally agree: I've reflected on the turn set and I messed up this city site: "--Poor leverage of GLH so far (would have moved 2nd city 1W to coast)."

I also don't have 8 cities by 1AD...

,war,war,war in the early game until we get some decent citys.Chariot rushes only work well if the AI is on your doorstep,WvO is too far away to consider it I think,and with Emporer city maintainance costs you could kill your game by taking over too many long distance citys early on.
. So what do you rec for the war plan?

Monarch, Huts+Events, No Barbs, No Tech Brokering

Spoiler BC 4000-2675 :
Fish > BW (slavery) > AH from a hut > Wheel > Pottery > working on Myst, then Masonry. Worker > Workboat > Scout from a hut > Warrior x 2 > working on 3rd warrior. Rest of the huts gave some gold. Probably need another worker soon, but after that... see discussion below.
Spoiler known world :
Spoiler dotmap :
No real good city sites IMHO. Given various people's comments on their own games, I should try for the GLH with these coastal locations. I might need stonehenge first, though, since there is very little production in any of these locations, and building individual monuments would slow down more valuable things like granaries (which seem like a necessity, since whipping is going to be a major source of :hammers:).

Also from various people's comments it sounds like a chariot rush isn't going to work well because of the distances.

So which first, settlers or the 2 wonders?

Deity, normal speed

Spoiler :

Fishing - masonry - sailing - bronze working and chopped + whipped lighthouse + settler into TGL, got 2nd city (on wine+pigs) and TGL at 1800BC, while I fogbusted my 'island' with 2 warriors.

I didn't scout the floodplains site yet, so I teched myst-hunting-AH in preparation of improving the deer and the pig sites.

Intention was writing, but found horses so needed the wheel, thus I also teched pottery before writing.

My settler was heading for the pigs/silver site, but then found willem at the floodplains, who captured a barb city 1N of the marble. So I sent my settler up there and settled a city 1E of the oasis, against willem and Wangs borders. Quickly whipped another settler and settled 1S of the sheep, to complete the blocking.

Despite TGL, this still ruined my economy (thanks, toroidal map, I forgot about that!). After writing I banked gold until I got libraries up, that took a while tough, I had to get some chariots out to prevent the AI's getting a barb city (autorazed) that spawned on the silk (and got a woody III warrior/heroic epic unlock in the process).

Another barb city spawned on the western silver ON A HILL, blocking me from settling the pig/silver and deer/silver sites.

So, finally got 2 libraries up around 500BC after banking for 15+ turns. still only have 4 cities due to barb cities. Wanted to tech MC but Willem had it, so went Aesthetics. By the time I got it, only Julius didn't have it. Mansa, Willem and Wang have a tech-trading lovefest going on like you wouldn't believe.

Also popped a GM, he scouted out willems land before doing a trade mission for 900 gold

Ugh. Teching all those small techs was probably a mistake in hindsight. Got IW from ceasar (no use for alpha since everyone has it) and teched drama, which got me currency, which got me metal casting. I had no choice but to add heaps of gold often, as holding on to a tech for one turn meant the trading oppertunity would be gone thanks to mansa, willem and wang.

Wang won the music race, and culture bombed the city 3N of my blocking city, the basterd.

Ok, I have to cut this short.
ended up going CoL, CS, Paper, and half-bulbed eductaion with my second GP, a scientist (so still no academy). Was 2nd to eduction, and with no hope of winning lib I immediately traded it around for philo, machinery and a heap of other stuff. went for gunpowder monopoly tech, and went for steel to crush Wang with cannons. However, he starts preparin and techs gunpowder, chemistry AND steel in the time I need to research steel. Also, due to the foodless lands and forced bad city founding order, my cities are nowhere near ready for an epic army-whipping session.

So, warring seems to be doomed. What do you think? I might try just to be sure, but I guess I'll count this as a loss. I'm tempted to start over, and try a 4-city win-liberalism-cuirrasier battle, possibly fueled by the pyramids!

Although, maybe a late game-corp fueled culture thing could be possible too? Any input is appreciated. I'll include the save too.

Attachments

• NC 159 Mao AD-1050.CivBeyondSwordSave
    254.2 KB · Views: 158
Monarch, Epic, Huts+Events, No Barbs, No Tech Brokering
BC 4000 - 2675

Spoiler BC 2675 - AD 655 :
I proceeded as I guessed might be best, which was
  • BC 2175 Shanghai on the wine
  • BC 2050 Stonehenge
  • BC 1800 Guangzhou near the marble
  • BC 1150 GLH
  • BC 950 Oracle Metal Casting
I wound up making a lot more trades in this game than I usually do, since with Willem and Mansa both in the game I was behind in tech. If anybody cares to examine the details, it would be nice to know if a more experienced player thinks these deals were reasonable.
Spoiler trade history :
  • BC 675
  • BC 650
  • BC 425
  • BC 125. I guessed correctly that I had a chance to get the Mausoleum (in AD 100).
  • BC 50. I figure this was good because CS helps get me macemen to attack Willem with.
  • AD 115. I think this one may have been a mistake, since I didn't plan on attacking with Horse Archers, and Cuirassier/Cavalry are quite a ways away.
  • AD 175
  • AD 580. This was partly for the money (see upper left corner); I'd normally have rejected it since I was only 4 turns from paper myself.
I think I have some chance at the liberalism race, but I won't know for a while. Here are the techs. At least Mansa doesn't have Education yet -- but he may well beat me to it if he doesn't get conquered by Rome soon enough (they're currently at war).
Spoiler Current techs :
A couple of other bits of history:
  • BC 410: Bulbed Theology with a great prophet; I wanted the extra 2XP from theocracy when invading Willem.
  • BC 170 Noticed Willem had already founded Taoism, so I'd lost the race to Philosophy. This puts liberalism in jeopardy.
  • BC 80: I was going to take out Willem anyway, so whatever minor benefit this gives will likely be mine (if I don't take too long!)
  • AD 115: Started a golden age with a 2nd Great Prophet and switched civics:

Meanwhile I've been building up an army to take on Willem. I plan to wipe him out, crash my economy, then recover and take out Wang. After that I need more tech, maybe Mil Trad / Cuirassiers, to be able to invade the nearby continents and take out Mansa, the other tech rival -- but at that point I'd probably best capitulate everyone and take a domination victory -- since there's somebody out there, overseas, that I haven't met yet, it won't be conquest. The issue right now, given how poor a warmonger I am, is how close my army is to being big enough to get started with conquest:

9 macemen, one unpromoted to maintain flexibility. 11 trebuchet (5 accuracy, 6 iunpromoted). 1 Medic I chariot. Only 2 longbowmen for protecting captured cities, so I guess I need more. No spare spies (somebody has already poisoned Xian, the copper/floodplain site, so there are spies in all my cities but none to protect captured ones). My power rating is noticeably higher than Willem's, even a bit higher than JC:

Warmongering advice would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• NC 159 Mao AD-0655 pause.CivBeyondSwordSave
    180 KB · Views: 149
Warmongering advice would be most appreciated.
I'm no means a war expert but one thing struck me - why are all your troops (except 1) promoted already? Best to keep promotions until needed for two reasons:-

1. So you know exactly what you need when promoting e.g. Shock / Combat / CR
  2. Units heal when promoted, you've lost that possibility by promoting them now

You might to promote one e.g. to Visibility and leave the rest but you've done it the other way around :crazyeye:

The units that haven't reached my rally point are unpromoted. I promoted the ones I thought would need specific promotions to succeed -- such as enough CR II maces for 2x a typical small set of defenders in an initial city or two, and a number of Accuracy trebs sufficient to bring down a city's defences in one turn. I suppose I could have left them all unpromoted.

Are you thinking about promotion as a way of partly recovering from siege damage? You'd want them fully promoted before attacking with them.

I promoted the ones I thought would need specific promotions to succeed -- such as enough CR II maces for 2x a typical small set of defenders in an initial city or two, and a number of Accuracy trebs sufficient to bring down a city's defences in one turn. I suppose I could have left them all unpromoted.

Are you thinking about promotion as a way of partly recovering from siege damage? You'd want them fully promoted before attacking with them.
Yes you want them fully promoted when you go to use them but the beauty of waiting is you don't need to guess what you're up against, you know exactly.

Top Bottom