HOW TO: Change the movies

SailorLazarus

Dumbledore's man
<edit>IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL PEOPLE PLANNING ON USING .DDS FILES INSTED OF .BIK FILES. When you are making your .dds files: the game will be displaying them at a 3:2 ratio but you should save them as a squre. I normally start with the picture at 768x512 and then distort (not crop) it to 512x512</edit>

Okay, I have finally worked out a pretty good way to change the movies in the game.

For the first tutorial. We will start with the wonders and the projects of the game.

Step 1: First off, you will need to copy the following file into the XML\Art\ folder of your mod

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Movie.xml

Step 2: Now create a new folder in the movie directory of the game, here:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Art\Movies

yes, that is correct. Make a new folder in the games original movie folder. NOT in the folder that has your mod. For some odd deranged reason the game refuses to play movies in anyplace other than the original movie folder. If anyone knows a good way around this, please let me know, but I have posted on it and no one seems to have an answer just yet, so...

Make a new folder.

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Art\Movies\KenjiMiyazawa\

Step 3: Now you will need to make the movies you want to use. I use adobe premiere, but you can use whatever your heart desires. The movies for the wonders are about 20-25 seconds long and the ending movies are about 35-45 seconds long. You can make it longer or shorter, but remember file sizes here people. The bik files you will be making are already going to be big, I mean really big. Like 10+megs big. Hey, stop laughing, 10megs x 27wonders, and 4 victories is 310megs. The dimensions of the movie doesn't matter a whole lot as long as it is 4:3 ratio. I would keep it pretty small, just because of the file size thing again.

Step 4: Now you will need a tool to turn the video files to a .bik file that the game uses. The great thing is, the tool to do this is free. You can find it HERE. Donate some money to them if you can, download the RAD Video Tools.

Install and run the RAD Video Tools. Select the video in the explorer window and then click on the button in the bottom left side that says "Bink It!"

Wait for it to render.

Step 5: Now place the video file into the folder you made earlyer in the Movies directory. DO NOT REPLACE THE ORIGINAL MOVIE. If you do then the new movie will play in all versions of the game. If you just place it in a new folder then we can key it to only play in your mod.

Step 6: Now open the CIV4ArtDefines_Movie.xml file in your mod folder and look for the movie you want to change. For example:

<MovieArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_MOVIE_ORACLE</Type>
<Path>Assets/Art/Movies/Wonders/Oracle.bik</Path>
</MovieArtInfo>

now we just redirect the key to our new movie.

<MovieArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_MOVIE_ORACLE</Type>
<Path>Assets/Art/Movies/KenjiMiyazawa\Gusukoh_Budori.bik</Path>
</MovieArtInfo>

Step 7: Save the file, launch your mod, build the oracle, and (if you have done everything correctly) you will see your movie insted of the original. If you launch the vanilla game, you will still see the original movie.

And now, for something completely similar, CHANGING THE ERA PICTURES.

Step 1: Create new .dds pictures for each of the eras. There are plenty of tutorials on making .dds files, so I won't bother to restate them here.

Step 2: Create new folder in your mod folder:

\Assets\Art\Movies\Era\

Step 3: Place era .dds files in that folder and name them as follows.

Era01-Classical
Era02-Medeival
Era03-Renaissance
Era04-Industrial
Era05-Modern

Step 4: Load your mod and behold your creations at work.

Yeah, I know it is strange that they are in the movies folder when they are just pictures, but that is how it is.

Now for the section on the Religion movies. This one is a little tricky because there are two ways of doing, both have their upsides and downsides.

Path #1: For those of you who are able to make new animation packs.

Step 1: You will need to copy the following files. In the "Assets\XML\audio\" path, you will need the "Audio2DScripts.xml" file and the "AudioDefines.xml" file. In the "Assets\XML\GameInfo" path, you will need the "CIV4ReligionInfo.xml" file.

Copy those files and then make a new folder ala Step 2 of the top post.
Now within the above folder, make a new folder for your religion. It should look something like this

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Art\Movies\KenjiMiyazawa\GoodEatsReligion\

Step 2: Do whatever magic you do to make your animation files. Sorry, I know nothing about making animation files with 3Dmax.

Step 3: Make an mp3 file of the sound you want to play to accompany your movie. Dump that mp3 file into the "Assets\Sounds\Buildings\" folder of your mod.

Step 4: Open the "Audio2DScripts.xml" file. Copy one of the tags used for building religions and modify it to reflect your new tastes.

Original:
Code:
	<Script2DSound>
		<ScriptID>AS2D_BUILD_JEWISH_MOVIE</ScriptID>
		<SoundID>SND_BUILD_JEWISH_MOVIE</SoundID>
		<SoundType>GAME_SFX</SoundType>
		<iMinVolume>90</iMinVolume>
		<iMaxVolume>90</iMaxVolume>
		<iPitchChangeDown>0</iPitchChangeDown>
		<iPitchChangeUp>0</iPitchChangeUp>
		<iMinLeftPan>-1</iMinLeftPan>
		<iMaxLeftPan>-1</iMaxLeftPan>
		<iMinRightPan>-1</iMinRightPan>
		<iMaxRightPan>-1</iMaxRightPan>
		<bLooping>0</bLooping>
		<iMinTimeDelay>0</iMinTimeDelay>
		<iMaxTimeDelay>0</iMaxTimeDelay>
		<bTaperForSoundtracks>0</bTaperForSoundtracks>
		<iLengthOfSound>0</iLengthOfSound>
		<fMinDryLevel>1.0</fMinDryLevel>
		<fMaxDryLevel>1.0</fMaxDryLevel>
		<fMinWetLevel>0.0</fMinWetLevel>
		<fMaxWetLevel>0.0</fMaxWetLevel>
	</Script2DSound>

Modified:
Code:
	<Script2DSound>
		<ScriptID>AS2D_BUILD_GOODEATS_MOVIE</ScriptID>
		<SoundID>SND_BUILD_GOODEATS_MOVIE</SoundID>
		<SoundType>GAME_SFX</SoundType>
		<iMinVolume>90</iMinVolume>
		<iMaxVolume>90</iMaxVolume>
		<iPitchChangeDown>0</iPitchChangeDown>
		<iPitchChangeUp>0</iPitchChangeUp>
		<iMinLeftPan>-1</iMinLeftPan>
		<iMaxLeftPan>-1</iMaxLeftPan>
		<iMinRightPan>-1</iMinRightPan>
		<iMaxRightPan>-1</iMaxRightPan>
		<bLooping>0</bLooping>
		<iMinTimeDelay>0</iMinTimeDelay>
		<iMaxTimeDelay>0</iMaxTimeDelay>
		<bTaperForSoundtracks>0</bTaperForSoundtracks>
		<iLengthOfSound>0</iLengthOfSound>
		<fMinDryLevel>1.0</fMinDryLevel>
		<fMaxDryLevel>1.0</fMaxDryLevel>
		<fMinWetLevel>0.0</fMinWetLevel>
		<fMaxWetLevel>0.0</fMaxWetLevel>
	</Script2DSound>

Don't write over the original tag, just copy and make a new one.

Save.

Step 5: Open the "AudioDefines.xml" file. Once again, copy and modify to your tastes.

Original:
Code:
		<SoundData>
			<SoundID>SND_BUILD_JEWISH_MOVIE</SoundID>
			<Filename>Sounds/Buildings/Solism</Filename>
			<LoadType>DYNAMIC_RES</LoadType>
			<bIsCompressed>1</bIsCompressed>
			<bInGeneric>1</bInGeneric>
		</SoundData>

Modified:
Code:
		<SoundData>
			<SoundID>SND_BUILD_GOODEATS_MOVIE</SoundID>
			<Filename>Sounds/Buildings/Goodeats</Filename>
			<LoadType>DYNAMIC_RES</LoadType>
			<bIsCompressed>1</bIsCompressed>
			<bInGeneric>1</bInGeneric>
		</SoundData>

And again, don't write over the original, just copy and make a new tag.

Save.

Step 6: Open the "CIV4ReligionInfo.xml" file. Look for the tags in the religion you created (see another tutorial) and modify them to reflect your new files.

Code:
			<MovieFile>Art/Movies/Religion/KenjiMiyazawa/GoodEatsReligion/GoodEats.nif</MovieFile>
			<MovieSound>AS2D_BUILD_GOODEATS_MOVIE</MovieSound>

Save. Load. Research. View. Love.

NOW THEN

Path #2: For the rest of us, for whom animation is voodoo, but who can make video files and put up with a little python.

Step 1: The audio file no longer concern us because our audio will be imbedded in our movie. So we need the "CIV4ReligionInfo.xml" file from the "Assets/XML/GameInfo/" folder. We also need the "CvWonderMovieScreen.py" file from the "Assets/Python/Screens/" folder. I know what your thinking. "#%@# Python." It is not hard python though. Think of it as, python light. Kind-of like light beer or diet Anthrax.

You will also need the same folder as talked about in Path #1:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Art\Movies\KenjiMiyazawa\GoodEatsReligion\

Step 2: Make the movie and turn it into a .bik folder. See Steps 3 & 4 of the top post in this thread for referance. Place the newly created movie in the religion folder you made in step 1.

Step 3: Now open the "CIV4ReligionInfo.xml" file. Find the religion you are working on and modify the tags to referance the new movie you created. Also you will need to disable the sound, since you have sound in your movie.

Code:
			<MovieFile>Assets/Art/Movies/KenjiMiyazawa/GoodEatsReligion/Discovery.bik</MovieFile>
			<MovieSound>NONE</MovieSound>

Thats it....right? Wrong. Unfortunatly the game is programmed to think of religion movies as animation files, not as movie files. We need to convince it otherwise. That is where we come to...

Step 4: Open the "CVWonderMovieScreen.py" file and look for the following section.

Code:
		# Play the movie
		[B]if self.iMovieType == MOVIE_SCREEN_RELIGION:
			screen.addReligionMovieWidgetGFC( "ReligionMovie", gc.getReligionInfo(self.iWonderId).getMovieFile(), self.X_SCREEN + self.X_MOVIE, self.Y_SCREEN + self.Y_MOVIE, self.W_MOVIE, self.H_MOVIE, WidgetTypes.WIDGET_GENERAL, -1, -1)
			CyInterface().playGeneralSound(gc.getReligionInfo(self.iWonderId).getMovieSound())	[/B]	
		elif self.iMovieType == MOVIE_SCREEN_WONDER:		
			screen.playMovie(gc.getBuildingInfo(self.iWonderId).getMovie(), self.X_SCREEN + self.X_MOVIE, self.Y_SCREEN + self.Y_MOVIE, self.W_MOVIE, self.H_MOVIE, -2.3 )
		elif self.iMovieType == MOVIE_SCREEN_PROJECT:
			szArtDef = gc.getProjectInfo(self.iWonderId).getMovieArtDef()
			screen.playMovie(CyArtFileMgr().getMovieArtInfo(szArtDef).getPath(), self.X_SCREEN + self.X_MOVIE, self.Y_SCREEN + self.Y_MOVIE, self.W_MOVIE, self.H_MOVIE, -2.3 )

screen.setButtonGFC("WonderExit" + str(self.iWonderId), localText.getText("TXT_KEY_MAIN_MENU_OK", ()), "", self.X_EXIT, self.Y_EXIT, self.W_EXIT, self.H_EXIT, WidgetTypes.WIDGET_CLOSE_SCREEN, -1, -1, ButtonStyles.BUTTON_STYLE_STANDARD )

This is the part of the code that tells it how to think about the religion movies.

WARNING: MAKING THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATION TO THE CODE WILL CAUSE THE GAME TO VIEW ALL OF YOUR RELIGION MOVIES AS .BIK or .DDS FILES. THIS MEANS THAT IF YOU HAVE SOME OF YOUR RELIGION MOVIES AS .NIF FILES STILL, THEY WILL NOT PLAY. Unfortunatly I have not yet worked out a way for the game to check to see what kind of movie it is playing before it decides how it is going to play it.

Modify the code as follows:
Code:
		# Play the movie
			screen.playMovie(gc.getReligionInfo(self.iWonderId).getMovieFile(), self.X_SCREEN + self.X_MOVIE, self.Y_SCREEN + self.Y_MOVIE, self.W_MOVIE, self.H_MOVIE, -2.3 )[/B]
			screen.playMovie(gc.getBuildingInfo(self.iWonderId).getMovie(), self.X_SCREEN + self.X_MOVIE, self.Y_SCREEN + self.Y_MOVIE, self.W_MOVIE, self.H_MOVIE, -2.3 )
			screen.playMovie(CyArtFileMgr().getMovieArtInfo(szArtDef).getPath(), self.X_SCREEN + self.X_MOVIE, self.Y_SCREEN + self.Y_MOVIE, self.W_MOVIE, self.H_MOVIE, -2.3 )

screen.setButtonGFC("WonderExit" + str(self.iWonderId), localText.getText("TXT_KEY_MAIN_MENU_OK", ()), "", self.X_EXIT, self.Y_EXIT, self.W_EXIT, self.H_EXIT, WidgetTypes.WIDGET_CLOSE_SCREEN, -1, -1, ButtonStyles.BUTTON_STYLE_STANDARD )

Save. Load. Research. Watch. Love.

Now on to adding movies to buildings that did not previously have movies.

Step 1: PM Kael to tell him that he is the man. Then PM Dual and tell him that he is the man. Why? Because this section of my Tutorial would not be here without them.

Step 2: Copy the "Civ4BuildingInfos.xml" file to the "Assets\XML\Buildings\" folder of you mod. Then copy the "CvEventManager.py" file to the "Assets\Python\" folder of your mod. Finally copy the "CvWonderMovieScreen.py" file to the "Assets\Python\Screens\" folderYeah, I know what your thinking. "%$*& Python,." Don't worry, it is light Python.

Step 3: See Step 2 of the first post in this thread.

Step 4: Open your newly copied "Civ4BuildingInfos.xml" Find the building you wish to add a movie to, and look for the following tag.
Code:
<MovieDefineTag>NONE</MovieDefineTag>

Change the "NONE" to a new "ART_DEF_MOVIE_XXXXXXX" tag. For this tutorial we will use "ART_DEF_MOVIE_YORKSHIRE_PUDDING"

Save your changes.

Step 5: Create a new .bik file (ala Steps 3 & 4 of the top post of this thread) or create a new .dds file (ala many other tutorials) and place it in the folder you created in Step 3.

Step 6: Open the "CIV4ArtDefines_Movie.xml" file (you did copy it to the "Assets\XML\Art\" folder right?) and copy one of the original tags.

Lets say this one
Code:
		<MovieArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_MOVIE_INTRO</Type>
			<Path>Assets/Art/Movies/Intros/intro.bik</Path>
		</MovieArtInfo>

Now change it to reflect the new tag you created in Step 4 and the New picture/movie you created in Step 5.

Thusly
Code:
		<MovieArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_MOVIE_YORKSHIRE_PUDDING</Type>
			<Path>Assets/Art/Movies/KenjiMiyazawa/YorkshirePudding.dds</Path>
		</MovieArtInfo>

Step 7: Now comes the fun part. Open the "CvEventManager.py" file with what ever you use to open the XML (Notepad for me). Look for the following section

Code:
	def onBuildingBuilt(self, argsList):
		'Building Completed'
		pCity, iBuildingType = argsList
		game = CyGame()
		player = pCity.getOwner()
		pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(player)
		if ((not CyGame().isNetworkMultiPlayer()) and (pCity.getOwner() == CyGame().getActivePlayer()) and isWorldWonderClass(gc.getBuildingInfo(iBuildingType).getBuildingClassType())):
			# If this is a wonder...
			popupInfo = CyPopupInfo()
			popupInfo.setButtonPopupType(ButtonPopupTypes.BUTTONPOPUP_PYTHON_SCREEN)
			popupInfo.setData1(iBuildingType)
			popupInfo.setData2(pCity.getID())
			popupInfo.setData3(0)
			popupInfo.setText(u"showWonderMovie")
			popupInfo.addPopup(pCity.getOwner())

Now it is also possible that it will look like this.

Code:
	def onBuildingBuilt(self, argsList):
		'Building Completed'
		pCity, iBuildingType = argsList
		game = CyGame()
		if ((not CyGame().isNetworkMultiPlayer()) and (pCity.getOwner() == CyGame().getActivePlayer()) and isWorldWonderClass(gc.getBuildingInfo(iBuildingType).getBuildingClassType())):
			# If this is a wonder...
			popupInfo = CyPopupInfo()
			popupInfo.setButtonPopupType(ButtonPopupTypes.BUTTONPOPUP_PYTHON_SCREEN)
			popupInfo.setData1(iBuildingType)
			popupInfo.setData2(pCity.getID())
			popupInfo.setData3(0)
			popupInfo.setText(u"showWonderMovie")
			popupInfo.addPopup(pCity.getOwner())

Doesn't matter which it looks like. It is the part of the code that checks to see that you are making a world wonder before it plays any movies connected with the building. We don't want it to check, we just want it to play a movie file if it is connected to a building. Sooooo, we need to change just one little bit of code.

Just change this
Code:

to this:
Code:
if ((not CyGame().isNetworkMultiPlayer()) and (pCity.getOwner() == CyGame().getActivePlayer()) ):

BOOM! No more check.

Step 8: Problem, now that there is no check, it is going try to play a movie for every single building we make. Doesn't matter if there is a movie file for it or not. So what we need to do is have it check to make sure there is a movie available before it trys to play one. For that, we go back to the python section.

Open the "CvWonderMovieScreen.py" file. Last one, I promise. look for the following code line.

Code:
		# not all projects have movies
		if self.iMovieType == MOVIE_SCREEN_PROJECT:
			szArtDef = gc.getProjectInfo(iMovieItem).getMovieArtDef()
			if len(szArtDef) == 0:
				return

player = PyPlayer(CyGame().getActivePlayer())

You don't have to change it at all, just copy the following code below it.

Code:
		# my building check
		if self.iMovieType == MOVIE_SCREEN_WONDER:
			szArtDef = (gc.getBuildingInfo(self.iWonderId).getMovie())
			if len(szArtDef) == 0:
				return

So that now it should look like this:
Code:
		# not all projects have movies
		if self.iMovieType == MOVIE_SCREEN_PROJECT:
			szArtDef = gc.getProjectInfo(iMovieItem).getMovieArtDef()
			if len(szArtDef) == 0:
				return

# my building check
		if self.iMovieType == MOVIE_SCREEN_WONDER:
			szArtDef = (gc.getBuildingInfo(self.iWonderId).getMovie())
			if len(szArtDef) == 0:
				return

BOOM! A new check.

Step 9: Save all your work, load up CIV4 and build the building of choice.

Step 10: Watch your movie.

Step 11: PM Kael again and tell him thanks for tipping me off to the first python section of this whole thing (Step 7). Then PM Dual again and tell him thanks for tipping me off to the second python section of this whole thing (Step 8).

Excellent work. I love your tutorial. It was very helpful.

HOwever I am a bit stuck right now.
If I change the Python Code for my new Religion's Movie (BIK). Will I still be able to play the default Religions such as <MovieFile>Art/Movies/Religion/Buddhism/Bud_Found.nif</MovieFile>, or will it fail?

You have mentioned above that this would fail...but in this case, we cannot mod religion movies unless we redo all of them. :( Is there no work around?

It was so easy to create BIK from AVI. :(

Regards
Houman

Unfortunatly Houman, if we modify the code to play the religion movies as .bik files, it can't play the .nif files, since it uses the two files in different ways. If you are still using the original religions, then it will simply play a blank window when you research those religions.

What I need is a way for the code to tell the difference between a .nif file and a .bik file, and then play them acordingly. Unfortunatly I have not been able to figure out how to do that just yet. I am working on it though.

You could still play the game this way, it won't crash or anything, it just doesn't play the original religion movies.

Hmm I see. :blush:

Maybe it would be better if I produce a DDS with StudioMax. Just putting a picture insid and let a nif being created. I have no experience in this matter, but I give it a go now...

Thanks
Houman

This is the part of the code that tells it how to think about the religion movies.

WARNING: MAKING THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATION TO THE CODE WILL CAUSE THE GAME TO VIEW ALL OF YOUR RELIGION MOVIES AS .BIK or .DDS FILES. THIS MEANS THAT IF YOU HAVE SOME OF YOUR RELIGION MOVIES AS .NIF FILES STILL, THEY WILL NOT PLAY. Unfortunatly I have not yet worked out a way for the game to check to see what kind of movie it is playing before it decides how it is going to play it.

Modify the code as follows:
Code:
		# Play the movie                
			screen.playMovie(gc.getReligionInfo(self.iWonderId).getMovieFile(), self.X_SCREEN + self.X_MOVIE, self.Y_SCREEN + self.Y_MOVIE, self.W_MOVIE, self.H_MOVIE, -2.3 )[/B]

Save. Load. Research. Watch. Love.

I'm not completely sure.... I am familiar with VB...its kind of similar. Can't you just add in another elif ? You may have to create a new movie class. So it would look something like....

Code:
## Sid Meier's Civilization 4
## Copyright Firaxis Games 2005
from CvPythonExtensions import *
import PyHelpers
import CvUtil
import ScreenInput
import CvScreenEnums

PyPlayer = PyHelpers.PyPlayer
PyInfo = PyHelpers.PyInfo

# globals
gc = CyGlobalContext()
ArtFileMgr = CyArtFileMgr()
localText = CyTranslator()

MOVIE_SCREEN_WONDER = 0
MOVIE_SCREEN_RELIGION = 1
MOVIE_SCREEN_PROJECT = 2
[B]MOVIE_SCREEN_CUSTOM_RELIGION = 3[/B]

# Play the movie
			screen.addReligionMovieWidgetGFC( "ReligionMovie", gc.getReligionInfo(self.iWonderId).getMovieFile(), self.X_WINDOW + self.X_MOVIE, self.Y_WINDOW + self.Y_MOVIE, self.W_MOVIE, self.H_MOVIE, WidgetTypes.WIDGET_GENERAL, -1, -1) CyInterface().playGeneralSound(gc.getReligionInfo(self.iWonderId).getMovieSound())		
		elif self.iMovieType == MOVIE_SCREEN_CUSTOM_RELIGION:

you may have to add addition stuff but that should cover some of it. In fact I'm sure it won't work like this... but maybe in the right direction. You would obviously have to assign the new religion movie to the new class. I'm not really sure, C++ is not my language, and I'm not even done with school anyhow. :)

its pretty easy to make new religion movies anyhow, so its not a big deal. :D

Can you make a copy for me of the worldbuildermovies python you need to make for religions? I have the .bik files, but I don't have the python editor

Top Bottom