The Specialize's Civilizations

I'd be more than willing to help with the design aspect of any other Three Kingdoms Civs, if you were interested in doing them. =]

I believe this is the first mod with one of the Three Kingdoms of Korea (Shilla, Goguryeo, Baekje), I think Shilla, Baekje, and Goryeo should be mods as well

Completely agreed, After going through all this for Gorguyeo I have definitely developed an interest in Silla and Baekje at least. Really interesting history during this peroid.

I'd be more than willing to help with the design aspect of any other Three Kingdoms Civs, if you were interested in doing them. =]

I'd love any help, Coming up with ideas is one of my weaker abilities, with the exception of Lua (which I am attempting to learn somewhat). It's probably the part I struggle with the most.

Albiet for the immediate future my gaze is towards the western coast of Africa with the Serer Kingdoms of Sine and Saloum. Not quite sure how i'm going to approach it yet, but I definitely have some interest there. I want to approach both kingdoms into one civ of Sine-Saloum, or it'll end up as a more broad "Serer People" civ. Still thinking of how to approach.

I did however make this Civ Icon for a Kingdoms of Sine-Salum civ if I were to do them together.

Was feeling West coast Africa needed some more repersentation, I think it's only Morrocco over there at the moment with Mali a bit inland.

There's also both Ashanti civs, Mossi, Nok and Benin. But hey, who's counting?

More civilizations are always welcome. Will the Sine civ be focused around ecology and preservation of resources? Because that'd be cool and food focused civs always tend to be rather enjoyable.

There's also both Ashanti civs, Mossi, Nok and Benin. But hey, who's counting?

More civilizations are always welcome. Will the Sine civ be focused around ecology and preservation of resources? Because that'd be cool and food focused civs always tend to be rather enjoyable.

I meant the West coast as in far outer west area. But I see what you mean, I was definitely wrong in my description.

Yeah, Food/Agricultural is what I was thinking for a primary focus.

the Nok culture is interesting, yet a leader name had to be made up (if I remember correctly, Gedemo called him Sarkin Makera), this doesn't really stop modders though (ex: Caral, Harappa, Catalhoyuk, Tryphilia)

Excited for it. I was looking at Korean history the other day and thought "Why isn't there a Goguryeo civ yet?" I'm confused about the UA though. Will you remove the penalty against cities from mounted units? Because otherwise the bonus is just 17% (or 25% on the UU). By the way, I made a smoother version of the icon:

I had a similar thought as well after reading up on early Korean history, which is why I made a request for the 4 early kingdoms in the civ request thread a couple of years ago. I am so happy to see one of them has been made and the others might be made as well!

Small Little Update of what I'll be working or trying to work on for now.

Kingdom of Dahomey
Thanks to Hiram for Icon and Scapegrace for Design
Spoiler :

Dahomey (Agaja)
Start Bias: Plains
Capital: Abomey
UA: Xwetanu
Capturing an enemy Capital and advancing to a new Era trigger a We Love The King Day in the Capital. Certain Military Technologies* grant a +10% Combat Bonus for 10 turns after they are researched and make Upgrading Military Units 5% cheaper.
UU: Mino (replaces Pikeman)
The Mino is rather different to the Pikeman it replaces, having a +33% Combat Bonus against Gun Units and the ability to generate Science per kill. Additionally, it is a Gun Unit itself, and starts with both Mobility and the unique promotion "Dahomey Amazons", which allows it to generate a flat amount of Science when Pillaging a tile with a Resource. However, it only has a +25% Combat Bonus against Mounted Units. Upgrades to Musketman.
UB: Akuehue (replaces Barracks)
Not only does the Akuehue not cost any Maintenance, unlike the Barracks it replaces, it actually generates +2 Gold per turn for each Science building in the City in which it is built. Generates an amount of Science upon the construction of a Military Unit equal to twice said unit's Combat Strength.

*The list of technologies:-
Iron Working
Civil Service
Steel
Gunpowder
Chemistry
Metallurgy
Rifling
Military Science
Replaceable Parts
Plastics
Combined Arms
Mobile Tactics

Serer People
Not fully designed yet still thinking of how to go about it but here's what I have so far
Spoiler :
Serer (Ama Joof) *Might change leader*
Start Bias: Plains
Capital: Diakhao
UA: Not Named
Cannot build Pastures on Sheep and Cattle, Sheep/Cattle Within the Serer borders provide bonus Culture and Food.
UU: Jungjun Drummer (Musketman or Great Prophet)
Has a weaker version of the Great Generals combat bonus. Weaker than the regular musketman.
??: Not Sure.

Seems likely you'll get your Dahomey out before I do mine, so feel free to take it over completely if you do. Hiram made an icon for them if you're looking for one.

Having trouble thinking of a second unique for the Serer, Am currently considering a unique Caravansary that doesn't give the bonus gold from trade routes and instead increases food gained from Sheep/Cattle. Since the Serer weren't too big on trade themselves.

Might I suggest a religious building? The Serer are well-known for their centuries-long resistance of Islamization in order to stay true to their native religion of Fat Roog. The religion is included in Tomatekh's Historical Religions pack, so you could even set it as the primary religion for the civ when that mod is enabled. A fitting UB would be a shrine replacement named either standing stones or Senegambian standing stones. They were built by the forebears of the Serer, and the Serer used them extensively as a site of worship for Fat Roog. Maybe make it so that cities with this UB in them are much more difficult to convert to other religions, or something like that. Just a thought.

I still sort of wonder why the Mino is a Pikeman replacement and not just a Musketman.

Might I suggest a religious building? The Serer are well-known for their centuries-long resistance of Islamization in order to stay true to their native religion of Fat Roog. The religion is included in Tomatekh's Historical Religions pack, so you could even set it as the primary religion for the civ when that mod is enabled. A fitting UB would be a shrine replacement named either standing stones or Senegambian standing stones. They were built by the forebears of the Serer, and the Serer used them extensively as a site of worship for Fat Roog. Maybe make it so that cities with this UB in them are much more difficult to convert to other religions, or something like that. Just a thought.

I actually really like that idea and it bug's me that it hadn't crossed my mind with the harder to convert religion part or even just a religious building in general, since I read about their religion before reading about the people themselves (This is why I say I suck at designing things).

Hm... I'm still not convinced with that Dahomey design. As I've said a couple times before, it sorta has too many things going on and it's sort of too powerful.

What about...

UA: Xwetanu: Capturing an enemy Capital and advancing to a new Era trigger a We Love The King Day in the Capital. Units have a combat bonus while researching Military technology.
UU: Mino: The Mino is a Musketman replacement, having the ability to generate Science per kill and starts with the unique promotion "Dahomey Amazons", which allows it to generate a Worker when Pillaging a tile with a Resource.
UB: Akuehue: Replaces Barracks. During WLTKDs, it allows upgrading units in cities for free.

Hm... I'm still not convinced with that Dahomey design. As I've said a couple times before, it sorta has too many things going on and it's sort of too powerful.

What about...

UA: Xwetanu: Capturing an enemy Capital and advancing to a new Era trigger a We Love The King Day in the Capital. Units have a combat bonus while researching Military technology.
UU: Mino: The Mino is a Musketman replacement, having the ability to generate Science per kill and starts with the unique promotion "Dahomey Amazons", which allows it to generate a Worker when Pillaging a tile with a Resource.
UB: Akuehue: Replaces Barracks. During WLTKDs, it allows upgrading units in cities for free.

Hmmm, I like the suggestion it keeps the parts of the design that I liked within it. Not sure how I feel about Workers from Pillaged Resorces however. Defintely Like the Idea with the Akuehue though.

The Second half of the UA is the other thing, I like the WLtKD parts but not really sure how I feel about the second half.

The second half is mostly because of a discussion that erupted after the original design was posted where it was mentioned how this Mini-Clausewitz is a tad... overpowered. So dunno, felt hesitant about it, and I thought getting a bonus while researching tech was clever, but I can see how it can be difficult to code or awkward to play around.

The Worker from Pillaged tiles is mostly because it was a Slaver Empire at the end of things... but feel free to change it if you think the reference is a tad... dark and obstrusive with the rest of the design.

Top Bottom