Perfect timing!

I'm in a game as Dido on immortal difficulty. I share a continent with Austria and France, and both me and Napoleon know the danger that Austria will present in the later game. Austria declared war on me first, and I successfully repelled her attack with some African Forest Elephants. Then I decided to make her pay.

I built 2 catapults and bought 2 more, and rallied my 4 elephants, 4 catapults, and 2 composite bowmen to our borders, and swiftly took out a border city. I saw that Paris was under attack by Austria, giving me the perfect cover for a coup de etat. I rushed towards the capital which had no ranged units at all. Austria wanted me to surrender, but I knew the value of her capital was too much to pass up. I took out the city in 3 turns, and looped up north to take out another city as well as to bring Paris back to allied control. Austria was severely crippled, and I let her slowly bleed and delivered the final blow a couple hundred turns later.

Have you guys ever had perfect timings like mine where there aren't any units in their borders?
EDIT: or maybe cool timings in general?

No, but this often happens, the AI will rarely if ever focus on two wars at once, at least not on Warlord difficulty, I've noticed that if the AI gets attacked by another AI, then it will make peace with the current AI, and focus on the other AI.

Dido. Immortal Small Continents. Neighbor was Sejong, and to the way southwest, Askia. Sejong was tech leader, was the sole possessor of the only iron tile (3 irons) on the continent and he was massively aggressive towards both Carthage and Songhai. Sometime before T100, he DOWed Askia, who only had 2 cities compared to Sejong's 7. Since the continent is pretty tight, and since Gao was coastal, Sejong Tech Leader would have eventually killed off Songhai with Turtle ships and land assault.

T100, I went on the offensive with Pikemen and catapults, some stampies as well and a CB. Sejong was in the Renaissance not long after I took his border city, and would not stop fighting because... he had a lack of ground units? So i pushed even harder and took out his second city, and was on his capital's doorstep... even managed to take his 31-def Seoul with cats. Then I saw why he wouldn't surrender... so many Turtle ships parked outside his capital and stretching all the way to his other coastal city to the north of the continent.

Lost so many units having to take and retake Seoul... coming out of it felt hollow, because now I was way behind in science and city growth (should have gone Liberty). Then near the end of that war, Askia re-declared war on Sejong and took another 2 Korean cities to the south of Seoul, and several turns later, after I diminished his turtle ship spam with in-out elephants, Sejong made peace

100 turns later, Sejong was wiped out of the game for building Himeji in his last northern holdout, and then my continent was somewhat secured. Only time would tell then.

Lost so many units having to take and retake Seoul... coming out of it felt hollow, because now I was way behind in science and city growth (should have gone Liberty). Then near the end of that war, Askia re-declared war on Sejong and took another 2 Korean cities to the south of Seoul, and several turns later, after I diminished his turtle ship spam with in-out elephants, Sejong made peace

100 turns later, Sejong was wiped out of the game for building Himeji in his last northern holdout, and then my continent was somewhat secured. Only time would tell then.

Yeah, Sejong can be quite a pain. :lol:

I had an awesome timing in my last game as Babylon. It wasn't about wars, though, but about science. I was on pangaea, on emperor level. I managed to finish the Oracle, fill the culture needed for a policy, get a GS and enter the Renaissance on the SAME TURN. It doesn't happen very often, and has never occured to me, but it was so perfect I had to share. I didn't think I could get the Oracle, though, as Theodora wouldn't stop wonder whoring (she got 2 wonders/6 turns. Seriously, it was something like "BAAM" Theodora has completed Terracota Army "BAAM" Theodora has completed Petra. I didn't DOWed her, though, as she was my BFF for the whole game and I needed her gold for RAs)

I've had this a lot, but I can't remember specific examples. This would happen mostly with wars and science....really makes you fell good.

Best Timings for me:

Rationalism as 7th Policy. Nothing beats a big tech leap like having the Rationalism opener the moment you hit Renaissance.

Siam Legalism Trick. Getting four free Wats is game-changing. Doing this and timing Rationalism opener the moment you get Renaissance is the icing on an already science-heavy cake!

And stuff that require OXFORD:

Oxford into Archaeology to get to Industrial while getting the Freedom opener in the same turn.
Oxford into Satellites to GE Hubble.

And many others. I don't have any Military timings cuz I just romp through the continent when I get to Dynamite :)

Top Bottom