Religious pressure

ArnoldI

I have no idea what I'm doing in Civ VI
I can't understand how religious pressure affects the game. If it limits your faith, beliefs, or other things. Can anyone explain me this, please?

Pressure has only one role in the game - it determines the rate at which inhabitants of a city convert to the religion that is exerting the pressure. There are some threads in this forum that discuss pressure mechanics (a recent one is http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=477267, but there are others).

So, the effects of pressure (by gradually changing the religious composition of a city) can have a significant effect on game play -- if the city in question is your city, and it converts to another religion, you lose the founder benefits associated with the lost followers and/or city (depending on whether the founder benefit is city or follower based) and that city loses the follower benefits of your religion; at the same time, that city gains the follower benefits of its new religion, and the founder of that religion gets the founder benefits.

Religion itself isn't game breaking or game making -- you can win games at all levels with no religion -- but it can help significantly.

This got me thinking about whether the pressure system was already implemented in Civ IV (albeit with slightly different parameters) and just hidden from the user...?
Like, I remember that having connected cities in Civ IV sped up the conversion process, but what if there were elements of the current pressure system already at work, like say, 4 ppt and 100 pressure to convert 1 pop point or something?
Or was it completely different? Does anyone know for sure? Just out of interest :)

Top Bottom