Road connections to city states

Simplicity2

Chieftain
Does anybody know if they fixed this issue in BNW? I still seem to get quests from city states asking me to connect a road to them. I'd have to be an idiot to actually do so, considering the ongoing cost of roads. Anyone know if they've added some sort of connected city gold bonus for city states?

I don't believe they have. I did one of these quests in my last game because it was only an additional 2 tiles off an existing road, then I decommissioned the side road after it was done.

Not sure how this got broken? In vanilla they would build a road leading out to the end of their borders so all you had to do was to build a road to their borders, saving you 1~2 tiles of work and you won't have to fight with the CS AI who sometimes move units to block your workers.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to give something along with the roads, there's NO reason to build roads outside of your borders* (or, any roads that don't connect cities more correctly), if you got a connected road to city state, you would pay for what your territory covers, they would built towards the road (after you have a road adjacent to their borders). and you would get something along with influence (i.e raised resting point? Quicker/Slower Increase/Decrease?)

The quest does actually work, I believe, even for CS on separate landmasses to your capital.

You have to be really careful with increased influence, but heck throw a nickel my way if I'm going to build a road to a CS... All I want is some gold to cover the ongoing cost. The influence boost would be enough for me.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to give something along with the roads, there's NO reason to build roads outside of your borders*

Someone didn't understand the proper use of legions I get it? ;)

There is a very valid reason to build roads outside your territory: Ground assaults.
Its a bit pricy now but effective. Also when the road tile is in inside a CS even if you build it the CS pays for it.

Someone didn't understand the proper use of legions I get it? ;)

There is a very valid reason to build roads outside your territory: Ground assaults.
Its a bit pricy now but effective. Also when the road tile is in inside a CS even if you build it the CS pays for it.

I play on Warlord, I settle 3 tiles away from other civs to attack :lol:

I've got two issues with this quest:

1. dumb city states won't complete their part of the road
2. roads cost money, they should pay for their upkeep (with a City Connection, p'haps?)

I've got two issues with this quest:

1. dumb city states won't complete their part of the road
2. roads cost money, they should pay for their upkeep (with a City Connection, p'haps?)

Seen as that their part of the road (their borders) costs nothing to you both parties pay (logical). Plus you can delete it if the quest is complete. Though it begs one question: Since you put the time and effort why it doesn't give a secondary bonus? It would be a good incentive to keep it.

EDIT: Almost always the CSs in my games start a road when they want the quest, now that road is not in the most cost efficient route or in the right direction at times, but it exists.

Seen as that their part of the road (their borders) costs nothing to you both parties pay (logical). Plus you can delete it if the quest is complete. Though it begs one question: Since you put the time and effort why it doesn't give a secondary bonus? It would be a good incentive to keep it.

Exactly what I'm thinking, because it doesn't really make sense to have a road building quest if you can just take that road out right afterwards (and even get rewarded for that!). And the fact that they don't build their parts of the roads themselves makes the quests annoying and not worth pursuing.

I wonder if sea CS'es count a harbor as a road.

Even if they don't count their own harbor (if they even have one) I wonder if they count a road connection to another city of yours that's connected by a harbor. That would make it not a flat-out bug when cities on other continents offer the quest.

Scanning the thread: The quest itself works, but you'll also need to build the road within the city state boundary. However, the city state pays roads maintenance within its own boundary, you only pay for roads within your own boundary and in neutral territory

When a city state on a different landmass than your capital gives the quest you can still complete the quest but need a Harbor in one of your cities on that landmass even if the city state already has a Harbor.

Top Bottom