What era is your favorite for war

civmaster17

Chieftain
Ancient, classical, medieval, renaissance, industrial , modern, atomic, information and beyond

I enjoy the medieval with comp bows or x bows, swords, knights , trebs. Also gotta love galeass

I also like classical with spears comps cats. I enjoy earlier warfare more than later like modern

Renaissance through Industrial and into Modern. Anything earlier is a slog and anything later is too fast.

Don't know why there is no poll...but I like Atomic-Information warfare.

Classical and anything beyond Industrial. Classical warfare is all about archers while modern war is about artillery and airstrikes. Medieval/Renaissance is like this awkward transition where archers get replaced by cannons.

Industrial after I have Privateers, (yes that is a late rean tech, but I always enter the Industrial era before researching Navigation)

In general it's when my UU is available.

But overall, most fun in The early game.

Sadly enough, my games seems to end, if I play them all The way, in late warfare.
Although The artillery/infantry loop is effective and sucessfull, it's very booring.

An additive mix of eras; a' take the best of the era and build the rest' idea, depending when I get attacked first . I truly love archers (any), preferring 'walking' range units to 'crew-served' units until artillery (3 tile range) and rocket arty (!!!); while crossbows ( I think) NEVER go obsolete, because the move-and-shoot types keep up with the melee boys; vs. 'set-up-and-shoot' for sieges . This gives me 1st turn: some damage on target, 2nd turn: LOTS of damage on target !!,with either of the artilleries. IMHO, catapults, trebuchets, and cannon are too slow for me .

Information because all units are available and all resources are available. If all resources aren't available then you could at least see them or know that they're around to use.

I wouldn't call it my "favorite", but for some reason I get into a lot of early-Modern wars, with Great War Infantry, Machine Guns, and Artillery. I don't do it deliberately, there must be something about my gameplay patterns that I don't recognize.

Everything after industrial is when I can plan for global domination even if my initial game plan was different. Can't resist war - it's human nature

I like medieval wars. Longswordsmen + Trebuchets are capable without completely pawning AI cities, so that seems most fun for me.

I also like renaissance because I could use cannons and musketmen the same way..

I love the intrigue of late game war. Atomic era and beyond. I often try to get nuclear misses banned however.

The beauty of it is the intrigue involved. Competing over the love of a city state can devolve into world war.

I also love having air in the mix, it's like going from rock vs. Paper. To rock paper scissors.
I remember declaring war against Rome in support of my Hawaiin allies. I didn't want to take rome's cities for the war monger penalty and Hawaii didn't have an air force. So I sent in AA guns to give me sight of the cities and protect Hawaii forces against bombers and I bombed Rome's cities into the stone age. I let Hawaii take all the cities. Removing my last geopolitical threat. You can't coordinate an invasion like that with crossbows. Plus the economy can't sustain massive land and sea wars until the late eras. So every other era is really skirmishes and sieges

Medieval-ish. Anytime I've got Range Logistics archery units that can bring down cities. After that, only really enjoy naval warfare; anything else is too much of a slog.

I'm not a big fan of warfare in the Ancient times. I don't exactly mean mechanically, but being a warmonger early on can stunt your relationships for a long time, and getting invaded early can put you behind the 8 ball and make it impossible to develop a flourishing Civilization. By the late portions of the game, all bets are off, everybody hates you (or its one side against the other) and your development is set in stone.

Probably Industrial and beyond. Artillery just adds a whole new era to warfare and later in the game you get some really fun units to play with like Tanks and Helicopters and such. I would love to see how GDR's work. I have never used a Giant Death Robot before, and they look really intersting and making late game combat really interesting.

Top Bottom