Resource icon

The Nobles' Club Bullpen: Second Cycle

Can I suggest we change this:

There are no hard and fast rules here: fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, where you're thinking of putting cities, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didn't, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

To something like:

There are no hard and fast rules here: fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do suggest that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

The following schedule is suggested as a baseline for updates:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, where you're thinking of putting cities, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didn't, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

The above is just a guideline. If you're trying to improve your game, then posting more frequent updates, in as much detail as you can manage, is the best way to get suggestions from other players. If you come to what seems like a major decision and you want some advice, post an update, regardless of what game-year it is.

Just re-wording it to make it more clear that it's OK to post more frequent updates if you want to.

Thoughts?

The above is just a guideline. If you're trying to improve your game, then posting more frequent updates, in as much detail as you can manage, is the best way to get suggestions from other players. If you come to what seems like a major decision and you want some advice, post an update, regardless of what game-year it is.
I think that is a good idea, and in the spirit of the club's purpose.

There are errors on the front page, including numbering and naming error for NC 70 (copy/paste from NC 69), and numbering error for NC 71. Thanks.

When will the Isabella game be up?

Can I suggest we change this:
I revised your suggestion slightly and incorporated it into the boilerplate.
Spoiler my wording :
There are no hard and fast rules here: fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do suggest that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards. You can post as often as you like; here's one suggestion:
  • 4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
  • 1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, where you're thinking of putting cities, etc)
  • 500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
  • 1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didn't, met other
  • continent if applicable, etc)
  • 1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
  • End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)
This is just a guideline. If you're trying to improve your game, then posting more frequent updates, in as much detail as you can manage, is the best way to get suggestions from other players. If you come to what seems like a major decision and you want some advice, post an update, regardless of what game-year it is.
There are errors on the front page
Fixed; thanks.
When will the Isabella game be up?
Next game is Friday April 15. It occurred to me that once we have a schedule with a moderate amount of consensus I should post it in the first message, which I've tentatively done (adding Izzy to the "list of played leaders" but with no link and with the scheduled date).

But I am now confused as to why Isabella showed up as the next leader, since as of Churchill AGG is the only trait with a count of 2; all others are 3. Does anyone object to Ragnar (Agg/Fin) as the next map? or remember any discussion that explains why I might have switched to Isabella? I certainly don't mind scheduling her for the 29th (next after Rags).

I don't remember wher I saw Isabella, I just recall seeing it somewhere. :shrug:
Ragnar is all good.

OK, so I've updated the first post to show Ragnar is coming up on Friday.

I'll need to start thinking about the next mini-cycle (wherein I try to use each trait once). Rangar ads the fourth FIN, so we'll need to find combinations of the other traits. I figure I'll try to incorporate Isabella (Exp/Spi) if I can fit in appropriate combinations of the other traits. Feel free to suggest whatever other leaders you'd like.

How do people feel about the Fantasy Realm suggestion? I don't think I'd want to play Sid of the Minors (no traits, UU, or UB) but would include him if others wanted to.
how about fantasy map script (with missing resources), seems like loads of fun to try publicly and change, that might attract even more players
playd with SID leader

How do people feel about the Fantasy Realm suggestion? I don't think I'd want to play Sid of the Minors (no traits, UU, or UB) but would include him if others wanted to.
Regarding the Fantasy Realm mapscript, I don't mind, but it is strange with tiles containing ice floodplain cows (or even ice jungle tiles). One can't predict where bonuses will show up based on terrain type. It wil certainly violate expectations.

As for Sid, not interested.

I like that idea. My favourite leader is in there (Pericles! :w00t:!). One of these may be my first Prince or Monarch attempt (most likely Monarch as apparently there's little difference between Noble and Prince). :)

Excellent! I like all of them, even poor Izzy. Are we doing fantasy realms, then?

It turns out the most recent BOTM went with fantasy realm, so if we do that this cycle it should probably be #75 or later -- but we can reorder the leaders easily. Anybody want to make a suggestion as to which one? CRE, to make it easier to grab whatever weirdly-placed resources you can find? EXP because you might not find convenient :health: resources where you expect? Somebody with a resourceless or later-game UU since you might not find what you need for an early-game UU? (for the full Fantasy Realm effect I'd presumably have to avoid ensuring our UU's resource was nearby, so Pericles' Phalanx might be out of luck).

Charlemagne, because such a bizarre civ and such a bizarre script match :D

Sorry for the delay with Isabella; the map should be up in an hour or so later today. Just so y'all notice, here's an important change in the boilerplate:
The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC number Leader Noble" (or Monarch, etc., for higher levels)
Spoiler what's up with specific difficulties :
In each scenario file you can select your level of difficulty, but that doesn't give the AI the right bonus techs by itself. Use the Noble save for all levels at and below Noble. The Monarch save gives all the AI Archery. Emperor adds Hunting; Immortal adds Agriculture; Deity adds The Wheel. This means you can play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.
Basically, I've added Hunting and Agriculture one difficulty too high in the past; Emperor should have introduced Hunting, not Immortal. Thanks to Habitus for the link to the explanation.

Edit: NC 74 (Isabella) is up.

Top Bottom