Cultural capital of the world

What is the cultural capital of the world for 2010?

• Total voters
London, on the basis of just how much variety and different types of people there are there. You find a bit of everything in London, thus making it a good picture of the world.

New York, with Los Angeles second. Oh, and cultural capital of the world means that said city must be projecting its culture globally. Just because there's a developed local culture doesn't mean that other nations are affected by it.

New York, with Los Angeles second. Oh, and cultural capital of the world means that said city must be projecting its culture globally. Just because there's a developed local culture doesn't mean that other nations are affected by it.
I notice that a lot of Americans are very concerned with the idea of a city which projects culture; it seems a little imperialistic. Surely, a more representative city would be one that absorbs culture?

Every time somebody types in Stockholm instead of Copenhagen, I die a little inside.

Does the OP have any idea how boring Stockholm is as a city?

The reason I wrote Copenhagen was that it was the obvious Scandinavian alternative. But neither fit for the "Cultural Capital of the World". That'd be Tokyo or New York.

So, is there any reason why most (Americans) here are rating New York rather than London? Above, of course, patriotism.

As I see it, the two are pretty much indistinguishable in the 'world city' stakes. As it happen, on culture as a metric, the people who study this for serious rate London as more influential than New York.

I notice that a lot of Americans are very concerned with the idea of a city which projects culture; it seems a little imperialistic. Surely, a more representative city would be one that absorbs culture?

Ah, then New York is foremost then. It does a lot of transmitting and receiving.

So, is there any reason why most (Americans) here are rating New York rather than London? Above, of course, patriotism.

As I see it, the two are pretty much indistinguishable in the 'world city' stakes. As it happen, on culture as a metric, the people who study this for serious rate London as more influential than New York.
Because we are talking about the "cultural capital of the world," not "culutural interaction." New York currently puts out more than London (well, LA does anyway, not sure why everyone is voting New York) so it is being voted up. Also any list that sees fit to include Boston as a contestant while not including Philly is no list worth looking at at all, in my point of view. That and the fact that they placed Toronto in the wrong area.

Are we? I thought a cultural capital would be the place where the most cultural exchanges and interchanges and gatherings took place.

Ah crap I misunderstood the question and voted for Rome...

Are we? I thought a cultural capital would be the place where the most cultural exchanges and interchanges and gatherings took place.
Typically a capital rules over things, instead of being ruled by them.

NYC, simply because of the sheer amount of cultures present. Sure, I am a New Yorker, but the amount of cultures present and intermingling in NYC is a documented fact.

The shows may be produced in Los Angeles, but most of them take place in New York! :lol:

Same goes for movies.

If we talk about world's cultural capital, then it's more significant to count international visitors.

And where do your numbers come from ?

An "international" visitor to Paris can visit Paris from a distance 1/10 as large as a "domestic" visitor to New York.

My numbers come from the administrative offices of the respective cities in question.

If we talk about world's cultural capital, then it's more significant to count international visitors.

And where do your numbers come from ?

And you think it is a fair assessment to compare a country with a size of a whole continent to a country the size of Texas?:confused:

Top Bottom