Civ 4 & 5 Differences: The List

Unless I am missing it, does the replay show the map and overtime expansion or is it only a list of actions that happened throughout the game?

There's a pulldown to choose between quest log, graphs, and maps, and you can view it in the hall of fame as well. One of the most glaring issues that has thankfully been amended :goodjob:

I don't think there's any way to show overtime though.

Unless I am missing it, does the replay show the map and overtime expansion or is it only a list of actions that happened throughout the game?

Both. There's a little drop down box that lets you switch.

Rarer large leadership desicions that are meaningfull vs. Constant small, quite meaningless decisions.

Could you give an example of a meaningless decision, please? And please make sure that it's something that everyone will consider meaningless. If it's something that you consider meaningless but I don't, then wouldn't that fall under biased and thus outside the OP's intended scope?

Also, shouldn't "Global happiness versus local happiness and health" be separated as:

Global happiness versus local happiness
No health versus local health

Third, might want to add:

Unable to pay to finish construction versus Able to pay to finish construction.

Also, shouldn't "Global happiness versus local happiness and health" be separated as:

Global happiness versus local happiness
No health versus local health

Actually, I'd consolidate it further and make it
"global happiness limits growth and expansion vs. happiness, health, and maintenance limits it"

simplified tech tree vs complex tech tree

and maybe I have oversight louis:
City-States vs. No City-States

and don't know how to define best:
unit promotion based on terrain vs unit promotion with veteran
keeps xp when upgrading vs resets xp to 10, except general
hardly tactics vs advanced rock paper scissors

BjoernLars, why are you leaving city states out of the list? Surely it's one of the biggest differences between the two games. You could even put it against Vassals and Colonies, ...

City States vs. Vassals and Colonies

BjoernLars, why are you leaving city states out of the list? Surely it's one of the biggest differences between the two games. You could even put it against Vassals and Colonies, ...

City States vs. Vassals and Colonies

Rather, City States versus Barbarian Cities.

(Rather than them having X number of City States all start at the same time as we do, I'd rather have seen unmolested barbarian villages, after a certain amount of time, become City States. Leave an area alone long enough and new little civilizations would start cropping up. That would, I think, give the game a much more realistic feel.)

Global Happiness vs. Local Happiness

Everyone seems to get this wrong. It's global happiness vs maintenance, not local happiness. At least, you have to combine local happiness + maintenance because the :) mechanic in V covers both.

Also note that civ V has NO distance maintenance of any kind whatsoever; a big and somewhat nice change in the series, which always had a non-tactical means of punishing distance before.

Everyone seems to get this wrong. It's global happiness vs maintenance, not local happiness. At least, you have to combine local happiness + maintenance because the :) mechanic in V covers both.

Also note that civ V has NO distance maintenance of any kind whatsoever; a big and somewhat nice change in the series, which always had a non-tactical means of punishing distance before.
Good point.
I'll be answering the questions given to me later.

Rather, City States versus Barbarian Cities.

(Rather than them having X number of City States all start at the same time as we do, I'd rather have seen unmolested barbarian villages, after a certain amount of time, become City States. Leave an area alone long enough and new little civilizations would start cropping up. That would, I think, give the game a much more realistic feel.)
That's an idea for a mod that I'd definitely support.

Inflation?
Something about the structure of the tech tree?
Something about the relative hammer cost of units/buildings/wonders?
Strategic view?

Wonder effects last forever vs. most early wonders become obsolete

As a seasoned veteran who was there from the beginning with both Civ4 and CIv5 (and also Civ3 BTW, released the same month I started university :p ), I can say that Civ5 has improved over Civ4 is nearly every way. One word: ranged bombardment. :D

i'm not sure if game specific icon art really counts as a major gameplay mechanic difference, at least not when compared to some of the other things on the list.

but anyway,
some buildings require resources vs no buildings require resources

As a seasoned veteran who was there from the beginning with both Civ4 and CIv5 (and also Civ3 BTW, released the same month I started university :p ), I can say that Civ5 has improved over Civ4 is nearly every way. One word: ranged bombardment. :D

i take it you didn't do Mathematics at Uni then.. ;)

Railroad connection gives city production boost vs railroad gives tile yield boost

I didn't see it here but:

unable to air bombard tile improvements versus able to air bombard tile improvements.

Top Bottom