Is this place still active?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm NESing's one black friend and i'm offended that iggy would claim it. Typical white guy taking all the black guy stuff.

tl;dr rasism

Iggy's not black; he's Canadian. ;)

In response to the original title of the thread, yes!

I just released ONESI, a cradle NES similar to EoE. Check it out here!

Man, it's not like this isn't a discussion that has been had by DMs over and over again. NES was always a loose framework. People joined the type of NES they were interested in, and even within them stuck to what they liked best. I joined with NiNES, and spent way more time on the narrative side of the house than designing spaceships or freaking out over the tech tree. The games exist on a broad continuum.

Just.Like.D&D. This is a solved problem.

Does this all just stem from an inability to decide what is "too far left" or "too far right" to "count" as NES? Try being a little more flexible, guys, and be the change you want to see happen.

Of course, I say that as someone who hasn't been here regularly for years and has been too lazy to create the sort of NES I want to play :p

Hi guys.

I'm here, still mostly failing at modding anything, but I've been slowly working on a revamp of my latest space empires game currently in IoT.

PS: Hello :D

Nylan, time to build the NES that will PIERCE THE HEAVENS.

I won't lie, that made me grin :D

I can't decide if I want to rip off the ruleset of NiNES, LINES II, or do another one of my weird tournaments. Cadence would obviously be a bit slower, but I have much more experience in seeing projects through to the end than I did years ago.

EDIT: Hi Daft! :wavey:

I am definitely eager to play a space game again. Maybe I'll also see what my schedule looks like over the summer, I would very much love to run NESLife again.

So what were your favorite space NESes, and why?

So what were your favorite space NESes, and why?

Swirly Lights Yonder, by Bil.

It was simple, elegant, and we developed some very amazing species. There were a lot of cool interactions between us, and Bil was a fun, creative mod. I had a very fun relationship with Daftpanzer in that NES.

I also enjoyed GalaxyNES: No Horizons, although that was something that I modded myself, so I'm biased. Sadly, it had a fairly small player base, but I could rely on Thlayli, NK, Lucky and erez87 to be regular contributors. Lucky's civilizations underwent a huge amount of development and ended up getting dragged into basically every catastrophic conflict to afflict known space, NK developed a really cool civilization based off of the idea of a fundamentally different kinship system, erez87 developed a very interesting race of celestial supervillains, and towards the end Thlayli was turning his multi-species Collectivity into a grand alliance to take down the Zan Hegemony. Lots of other players played smaller roles, but the NES had a major problem of people joining, adding some complexity to the world, and then leaving, which left me with a lot of NPC-dominated regions. Still, I had a great time with it, and I'd like to revisit it some day.

Shoutout to Daftpanzer's current project, To the Great Beyond - Space Empires!, which shows a lot of promise!

EDIT: And honourable mention to SKILORD's Picking up the Pieces, set in the aftermath of a failed alien invasion of the earth: humanity's nations were largely destroyed, but so too was the bulk of the invading migrant fleet, leaving all of its formerly enslaved races to try to set up new homes on Earth. I played a group called Omicron Wing, aliens of the Tourliski species, who the invading aliens had used as pilots. They are delicate, diaphanous hovering organisms, native to a planet with very low gravity, so being stuck flattened to the ground on the high-pressure, high-gravity planet of Earth is a uniquely intolerable hell for them.

And the destruction of Zan Shamai was a really cool moment in the NES for me. It was the first time where something unbelievably powerful descended into our little corner of space. I realize it may have felt like something of a deus ex machina, but really it was the first step towards truly showing everyone that we were a small part of a much, much larger universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom