Map editor on mac

Ozzy_the_Beast

Chieftain
Hey Guys! I'm new to civ 5, i know how to play and stuff, but i was wondering: How the hell is it possible that there is no Map editor for mac? Can someone tell me how to install it? Where to find it? Is there a map editing?

Thank you for patience and understanding :)

Hi, welcome :wavey:

In Civ4, the WorldBuilder map editor was an integral part of the game software, and so it was ported to the Mac, which was great.

However, in their infinite wisdom, Firaxis created a separate modding package for Civ5 that includes the map editor, reverting to the separate editor structure they had for Civ3. And even worse, the package makes heavy use of Microsoft's Visual Studio developer tools for which there is no compatible software on the Mac.

So Aspyr can't port the entire editor system, and I would hazard a guess that they have therefore decided not to port any of it. Which means there is no map editor for the Mac. :(

Any current mod for Civ5 should be able to run on the Mac.

If there is one then please find it and post a link to the details. You'll be everyone's friend :)

InGame Editor from DonQuiche, you will find it in mods section ;)

Thanks, Lachlan. It's here. I downloaded it and ran it in the Civ5 Campaign Edition. I didn't disable the Putmalks Ancient World mod before running it first time, and it threw an error. When I disabled that mod I was able to run the In Game Editor.

Once it's running it is very powerful. You can edit most stuff as far as I can see. The main limitation is that the terrain editing is not WYSIWYG. You have to save and reload the game to see your changes.

It is, of course, a license to modify any game in your favour, and to preview the entire map!

Top Bottom