Multiplayer is a mess

Kotomoto

Chieftain
Hello!
I've been playing the game for a while and I must say singleplayer is great, the game concept is great! Brave New World is a nice addition to the game I really enjoed it. After having achieved all victories on deity, large map, I decided to try a multiplayer game where there's no stupid AI. I searched for internet games. It took me like 2 hours to find one and the first turn everyone left because it was too laggy to play (even though everyone had ping under 100 with each other). I thought - hey it happens - but then the same happened with most of other games I tried and sometimes people blamed me to cause the lags. Ok, I have 25 mb d/l and 20 u/l connection, and my puter is OK -- I can play huge maps in SP, also I play other strategy games (not turned based, dynamic and heavy dependant on connection) without problems, even though my ping in those games is 120-140. I checked online manuals and made sure the region in Steam settings is right. Sometimes I do play MP but with constant resyncs (loading screens) and people whinning non-stop. The game experienced is completely ruined for me now and I'm so frustrated that such great game is so lame online. I tried to play it on LAN with my friend and it turned out we have resyncs even then! Can you imagine any other game with resyncs in the middle of action?
Please, could you adress the performance issues, especially in MP games? Maybe there are solutions for it, I'd really apreciate any help!

Multiplayer is fine and has become relatively bug free in the past year. If you said these things two years ago I would not be surprised but most of the kinks are now worked out.

It sounds like the issue is on your end. Something wrong with your ping or your computer. Are you in Japan trying to play with people in the USA or something like that?

If every game you play has issues then you are the common denominator. You may want to try for to change your firewall or other internet blocking settings.

Thanks for your answers. I don't have firewall on my computer however my antivirus scans files locally. I play in my region (at least according to steam settings) and usually have ping in range of 90-140. I had a game today that almost didn't lag, well it was bearable. 1 game in 20. I play a certain game starting with "S" and it's fine even with gazzilion units moving and doing their stuff. Never had connection issues there. I watch high rez video online without lags. However when in CIV5 4 players have 1 settler and 1 warrior with about 30 tiles visible it's suddenly much more that my connection can handle. Let's be honest with that, there are many more kinks users with very good connection just don't notice.
Anyways, I checked multiplayerrobot and NQ group. Thanks for the links, FilthyRobot! I think I'll try my luck in NQ community.

I have hosted games on large and huge maps and they were able to run fine so the game definitely runs well when people are not lagging. I will say that Civ5 is more finicky than other games. A little lag will cause it to have issues. I have a friend who plays starcraft with no issues but when he plays civ his lag spikes can cause him to drop. I think Civ requires a more constant and stable connection than other games. Not just a good connection but one that is very stable and not changing the ping dramatically.

Top Bottom