2 Worker Opening Strat

TheRealAwesoMe

Chieftain
I have jumped back into Civ V and I was wondering why people don't open with two workers right away barring multiple granary resources? It is start dependent but why not open up with two workers right away in an FFA for example. I did this and was #1 by far in all demographics. Then I found out of this new unit called XCOM....

I would say it's difficult because you need to protect them and it's better to have your first units scouting around rather than sitting at home protecting workers.

Also, It's very easy to steal workers from city states so spending early hammers on more than 1 can be a waste. Also, you get a free one from liberty and you get two if build the pyramids. It's actually really easy to have too many workers and have them being a burden to your economy if you build one, get two from pyramids, steal one and get one from liberty. I often find that all my land is improved with 4 - 5 workers having nothing much to do at all.

Also, keep in mind that there's a lot of noobs out there so dominating may have more to do with your opponents being horrible and less about the strat being effective.

Well to some of your points CraigMak. First I would like to address the worker steal from City States in FFA including some leagues. I believe it shouldn't be part of the game. But it would be tough to enforce a rule against it so... I dont know. But in regards to opening with two workers then going tradition (of course barring the granary resources) you should be able to protect your worker with your first warrior after you do some scouting. Then you just play intelligently. Some good players were in that NQ ffa. Liberty seems to be a route you only go with Poland now. I really feel as though two worker opening in some cases is feasible. In that said NQ FFA I had the worst land on the map. It's mostly about that early growth and production bonus. Cases have been made for a watermill before two workers but even if you get a river to place on if you are lucky it still takes time to build. Anyway just some thoughts.

Yes, the worker steal is cheap but there is no way to prevent people from doing it aside from removing CS altogether. That' why it's usually not a good idea to build more than one.

I will agree that tradition is much stronger than it was before BNW but my opinion is that liberty is still clutch when you are an aggressive player. In my experience NQ FFA games are very passive. In that type of environment where everyone is playing simcity and just growing, tradition is going to dominate.

However if you play with aggressive players, want to be aggressive yourself or teams tradition will be a poor choice. Production is king and placing cities to get more production is the key. Tradition has trouble getting those cities placed early and getting out the early production. +1 hammer from liberty is very strong and often over looked.

I did this and was #1 by far in all demographics.

Some good players were in that NQ ffa.

really had to laugh irl.
some words just dont fit into 1 sentence.

a monument which lets u get to 3rd policy like 15 turns faster, a granny giving like +4 food right away (granny resources), a scout giving u loads of gold from CS meets, a warrior to get even more gold with some buly.
all way way better choises as a worker - espacially as a 2nd one

With huts on there is just no way around fast scouting, once u got your 1. free pantheon or culture ruin u ll know why ...

While I would agree that an opening scout in most cases then building two workers or building one worker then scout then 2nd worker might work better. I didn't say this is a strat for all cases. It is where you have 1 or fewer granary resources. While I do understand you get to the 3rd policy faster...usually now it is growth and you can get that growth through a worker in improving tiles. The gold you miss out from CS seemed to be made up for by the improvement of lux resources. And the pantheon is the one thing you can't really factor in. Hopefully you go shrine early after the worker builds etc. But I do believe in FFA's this could work effectively and in some teamers where one civ might start in the back of the map. Anyway just an idea to put in whoever's playbook might want different plays.

Yes, pantheons are very strong and you will need an early shrine if you want to get one before the good ones are taken. I personally agree with tommy and get a monument, granary & shrine before making my first worker. If its a game with ruins and CS then scout first then all those buildings then a worker or pyramids. 2nd worker usually comes from liberty or a CS. My play book switches the order of those buildings but never workers before them.

Tommy I'm pretty sure there are no pantheon ruins. Free pantheons come from meeting a religious CS. Unless you're Shoshone, they can choose a pantheon from a ruin.

Yes, pantheons are very strong and you will need an early shrine if you want to get one before the good ones are taken. I personally agree with tommy and get a monument, granary & shrine before making my first worker. If its a game with ruins and CS then scout first then all those buildings then a worker or pyramids. 2nd worker usually comes from liberty or a CS. My play book switches the order of those buildings but never workers before them.

Tommy I'm pretty sure there are no pantheon ruins. Free pantheons come from meeting a religious CS. Unless you're Shoshone, they can choose a pantheon from a ruin.

When you are 1st to meet a Religious CS you gain 8 faith, so 2 and you got your pantheon

You can get faith from ruins after turn... 15 or something.

2 workers opening is kind of joke. what will u do when other ppl scout comes to cap? Also there can be not so much tiles u can improve.

Also scouting is very important.

This can only be a nice way if u are in corner and have mass salt.

Top Bottom