Deleting Save Files on Windows 7

Pokamaruja

Chieftain
I've tried countless folder locations, looked on different websites, searched the names of the saves, searched for ".sav", and went to the Civilization III folder to look for the "Saves" folder. I can't find it! I'm on a different computer right now, but I remember going to the Infogrames Interactive folder, then the Civilization III folder, and there was no Saves folder there. Can anyone help?

You didn't say which version of CivIII you're playing...vanilla, Play the World or Conquests. I have CivIII Complete. If you do also, you were almost there. If you open the CivIII folder, you will see PtW and Conquests. Expand the Conquests folder and there you should see the folder for Saves.

I believe no Saves folder will show unless you have played a game and saved your game. I play Conquests only and, therefore, there are no folders for saves under either vanilla or Play the World, but there is one under Conquests.

I hope that helps.

I play vanilla. No Mods, not Conquests, and not PTW, so there aren't any Conquests or PTW folders.

What's the virtual store? I just joined the forum, and I also just started playing Civilization, so I don't know what it is.

It's a Windows thing rather than a Civ specific thing. Something like:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files(x86)\Firaxis Games etc
where <user name> is your user name on the PC.

But check Documents\My Games etc first.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I found them in the Virtual Store. I know a bit about computers, but never really venture into the data of it all. I couldn't find AppData, but I typed it in so I could go straight to it, followed your directions, and there they were! Thank you so much!

It is under Virtual Store!

Using a Windows 7 computer, with Civilization III Gold Edition, use these steps if you don't find the 'Saves' folder under My Documents

C:\
Users\
<user name>\
App Data\ [hidden folder] (Use Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization)
Local\
VirtualStore\
Program Files (x86)\
Atari\
Civilization III\
Civ3PTW\
Saves

This may vary for different Civilization III users

Another way you can get to it is if you go to the Civ 3 folder in Program Files there should be a option on the top bar saying "Compatibility Files" which will also take you to the files in VirtualStore.

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files(x86)\Firaxis Games I've put this in and changed <user name> to mine and I am told it is incorrect. I am unable to find the saves list for Civ3 Complete in mydocument>mygames because the game is not listed. I am using Windows 7.

Local\
VirtualStore\
Program Files (x86)\

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files(x86)\Firaxis Games I've put this in and changed <user name> to mine and I am told it is incorrect. I am unable to find the saves list for Civ3 Complete in mydocument>mygames because the game is not listed. I am using Windows 7.
Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but have you tried typing 'VirtualStore' as one word rather than two...?

That said, to avoid all VS nonsense in the long-term, (re)installing Civ3 outside the C:/ProgramFiles/... path would be a better option.

For future readers, I have a utility that can find the various Civ3 folders, and you can go looking from there to see if saves are inVirtualStore and/or the main folder.

Also, my signature has a link to a video showing me installing to an alternate location to avoid the VirtualStore problems.

Top Bottom