Sweden gifting great prophets no longer works?

swimslave

Chieftain
I am playing as Sweden. Thus far I have been successfully gifting my Great Prophets to City States and receiving the 90 points of influence. However, it no longer seems to be working. I have tried gifting my latest Great Prophet to two new city states I just met and it has no effect --- not even 5 points of influence. They are both currently allied with Byzantium, if that matters.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this?

It works fine, but you have to wait 3 turns for it to arrive (just like you do for regular units.) This wait was introduced in BNW.

It works fine, but you have to wait 3 turns for it to arrive (just like you do for regular units.) This wait was introduced in BNW.

Ah, thank you. Now, is that something that kicks in for later eras or for overseas city states?

It applies to any CS where you haven't walked the GP into the CS's borders and done a direct gift there.

If you use the "remote" gift option (go to CD diplo screen, click gift unit and then select a highlighted GP somewhere on the map), there is a 3 turn "teleportation" delay before the gifted GP (or other unit--same applies to all gifted units) arrives.

It applies to any CS where you haven't walked the GP into the CS's borders and done a direct gift there.

If you use the "remote" gift option (go to CD diplo screen, click gift unit and then select a highlighted GP somewhere on the map), there is a 3 turn "teleportation" delay before the gifted GP (or other unit--same applies to all gifted units) arrives.

Thanks.

I haven't tried using Sweden yet, but I'm surprised that 90 influence points would be worth an entire Great Person (unless its a general or an admiral, especially in times of peace). Why would you ever gift a Great Prophet though? Those guys are expensive.

Don't gift the Great Prophet until you have used all but one of their spread missions. Spread to 3 cities and then gift for 90 influence.

I was very skeptical of getting “only” 90 influence for a GP, but it works out pretty well in actual play. CS influence, because of the threshold brackets, means that large chunks all-at-once are quite valuable. On its face, 30 points is friendship for 1 turn; but 90 points is ally status for 20 turns.

Especially later in the game, when gold gifts become less and less effective aside from modifiers.

Well-timed GP gifts can fulfill CS quests and cause a domino effect of CS influence. For example M'banza Kongo wants wine and Ife has wine. Ally Ife. Or Ife wants faith. Ally Ife. Ife will give you faith, which fulfills their own quest and bumps up their influence still further. Or you want their open borders: give them a GP or a little money, become at least friends, and keep all that influence you would have lost walking your army all over them. Thus you can get a lot more than you pay for.

You get to choose who gets the gift, whereas with quests you are kind of at their whims and wishes. That's an advantage you can really press; also for war purposes.

Don't gift the Great Prophet until you have used all but one of their spread missions. Spread to 3 cities and then gift for 90 influence.
But I rarely use them to spread anyway. I found, enhance, and then any other I get I out into holy sites, but I don't even get that many because they start getting expensive.

...but I don't even get that many because they start getting expensive.

Which is part of the reason why planting is not a great use of GPr, especially for Sweden. Most games, I run out of ideal (i.e., grassland not on a river or lake) spots for GP near my capital and Holy Sites yield is as weak as Custom House until you close out piety (which is not the majority of my games).

I think fulfilling a conversion quest is 40 points. So for Sweden, done early, that GPr is 3x40+90 or 310 points of CS influence!

If only the Hakkapeliitta would boost GP's movements as well... High speed prophets coming through!

Planting prophets can be not great if you do not plan on going for Reformation. Completing the piety tree makes planting early prophets very worth it. Sweden benefits from Glory of God, so in a high-faith game planting prophets can be a viable move. But you can also pick Messiah and go CS questing, too. If you have a lot of faith CS in your game, you'll be getting a lot of "Ife calls for faith" and "Ife wants a Great Prophet" quests. For that. I actually prefer planting.

Top Bottom