How does last turn of world fair / international games go?

vanatteveldt

Emperor
I'm confused by the build / turn order for international projects. It said something like "98% complete, you contributed 1400". That turn I still built it in all cities, but in the final tally I was still at 1400.

Is the following true:

1. Player builds at start of hist own turn, which in SP means start of the overall turn/round
2. All AI build in their respective turn
3. At the end of the overall turn / round, if production > needed, the project is complete
4. Player build at the start of next turn is wasted since the project is already finished

If that is the case, I guess you should stop producing the project if you estimate it will be finished that turn?

Yes, but that waste can probably be eliminated by having something in the queue after the worlds fair.

Wait, I'm confused. If it's still at 98% and player go first, shouldn't your production still count? If it's completed the previous turn what's it doing stopping at 98%?

I ask because I seem to remember a case when me being the top contributor is whether I put another round of production at turn x (as in, if I stopped the project at turn x, I missed first place).

I suspect this is an issue of when you check progress. On each "turn" of the game, the human player goes first and the human player's production on that turn is taken into account before you are able to make your moves on that turn. So, when you check any progress on your "turn", your production has been taken into account (so you see 98%), but the AIs have yet to take their "turns" on that turn of the game, and the AI's production that turn has not yet been accounted for. So, the progress meter says 98% during your turn (after taking into account your production on that turn) and then some combination of AIs' production is added later in that same turn (when each AI takes its turn), and the WF is completed, before your next turn of production can be applied.

@OP, I share your frustration. I often feel like my WF/IG last turn does not get counted. But then sometimes it does, and I cannot figure out the pattern! If I am settling for a 2nd or 3rd place, then I try to be very sure to wrap that up before the last turn. I always have something in queue after WF/IG. If that something has only 1/2 build turns, it often finishes the same turn that I get the WF/IG screen. I am sure those would have been wasted hammers otherwise!

Can anyone confirm if having something in the queue will avoid wasting hammers.

This is a good question and should be easy to check out. In my last game I had a turn at 98 or even 100% complete, so it should be trivial to do some experiments on that.

OK, found the save.

Turn 187, international games are "100% complete", I have contributed 1407 hammers.

I set Moscow to produce a wall after the games (75 hammers, production is ~150)
Rostov (~50 production) is set to produce a lab for 500 hammers
Novgorod (~50 production) is set to produce nothing

Next turn, IG is complete. I've contributed 1407 hammers, so did not producing anything extra in the last turn

Moscow finished walls and Rostov is at 53/500, so queing production works
In Novgorod, the 50 hammers are stored, so a wall or stable (100 hammers) is now 1 turn

I guess we don't really know whether you can contribute in the last turn yet since it was already at 100%, so maybe just half a hammer to completion. So, I've reloaded to the turn before and disabled production in some cities to get a lower percentage. The project was still 100% complete, but now my contribution was only 1273. So, the production at the beginning of my turn pushed it over 100%, but the project only completes at the end of all players' turns.

I did a third test, again reloading to the turn before, but now disabling all IG production. This results in th eproject being 98% complete, with my contribution at 1124. I set all citites on IG, which should add 280 hammers. After that, my contribution was still 1124 hammers, and all cities have a full turn of overflow hammers. I set Moscow to produce a worker (70 hammers, progress 150/70 from overflow with 150 production), and next turn my overflow was capped at 150, so I wasted 80 hammers due to overflow limit (is that still turned into gold or something?)

I think it is fairly clear:

1) If the project will complete this turn, your contributions no longer count / have already been counted
2) The project completes at the end of a round after which combined production > needed production
3) Production on a project in the turn on which it finishes is not wasted, instead it goes to the next item in the queue, which might be completed next turn, and otherwise is counted as overflow hammers.
4) However, if you then produce something that costs less than one full turn, overflow on the next turn is capped at production so you will waste the difference

So, if you have something that will finish in 1 turn and that you want to finish asap, be sure to queue it after the project. If you have a tech coming in the turn the project completes and you want to build the new wonder/unit asap, queue nothing so you get a head start with overflow hammers. If neither situation applies, it doesn't really matter what you do in the last turn.

(and if the project fails and you want to savescum, reload at least two turns before the finish date :) )

Edit: attached save from two (player) turns before project is complete

Attachments

• project_nearly_done.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Some time ago I realized that if I hover mouse over production city with the project - it will show different "% completed" than from notification. Even when it is 100% completed - I still can set it into the queue for one turn more. But I don't do that since I discovered that 'hover over' trick.

Top Bottom