My custom civ - Project Discussion

Like I said, I just don't like the idea of adding a new resource when it's not needed. Your civ though. :p

Personally I wouldn't call the new bonus a new type of mana. In the same way refined mana is a type of synthetic bonus not a part of the true natural manas, perhaps call the new bonus something like "Synthetic Blazite" or "Blaze Crystals." I suppose worst case you can still call it blaze mana, but in the lore I would explain it as some sort of synthetic refinement of the two sources of mana.

The main gameplay reason is so that I can tie it together with the whole Auto Spell Promotion system.

But in reality, the mana is the physical manifestation of the Holy Fire of Creation that gives them all their souls so its sort of the whole Lore Center Point.

Every one of them actually has a part of this Holy Flame burning inside them and Blaze Mana is just the result of their beliefs manifesting them upon the existing fire and creation mana.

I'm assuming this is the civ you mentioned in the lore subforum?
Yep... I still need help with the lore thou.

I think I will probably revert to my original idea from a month or so.
Originally I wanted the adept spell to be as fallows:

Requires: Blaze 1
Effect:
+1 Blaze Affinity
+100% chance of being removed on next turn
If the unit enters a battle it is killed even if it won

That way it would turn my units into monsters but at a great price.
What do you think of that?

Although I personally prefer the mechanos affinity system to the addition of another mana (mostly since mana is tied to lore and balanced into four schools of five types) there is one other benefit to creating a new bonus and that is being able to easily add another unique passive effect which can stack with the new bonus. This is a lot easier than somehow creating a passive effect that is initiated with every pair of fire/creation mana and then stacked.

Personally I wouldn't call the new bonus a new type of mana. In the same way refined mana is a type of synthetic bonus not a part of the true natural manas, perhaps call the new bonus something like "Synthetic Blazite" or "Blaze Crystals." I suppose worst case you can still call it blaze mana, but in the lore I would explain it as some sort of synthetic refinement of the two sources of mana.

That's essentially the reason I dislike it too; Mechanos are different, as it's refined. Unless there's a background as to WHY they have this mana, I prefer a different method. :lol:

I believe the only way currently to give a unit 0.5 affinity is to do as Valk suggested and stagger the effect on a mechanos type affinity system. not truly 0.5 affinity though as you would only gain +1 strength for every other bonus owned.

But oh what a world it would be if we could have decimal affinities. (even if it was just halfs)

Yeah... I'm planning to work on a better affinity system (Think of something like the City Effect tags, here, as that's what it would be based on), but not till the guild system is redone.

The main gameplay reason is so that I can tie it together with the whole Auto Spell Promotion system.

But in reality, the mana is the physical manifestation of the Holy Fire of Creation that gives them all their souls so its sort of the whole Lore Center Point.

Every one of them actually has a part of this Holy Flame burning inside them and Blaze Mana is just the result of their beliefs manifesting them upon the existing fire and creation mana.

Yep... I still need help with the lore thou.

Hmm... Okay, I can see the basis for it then. Still not particularly fond of it, but it's not as bad.

I think I will probably revert to my original idea from a month or so.
Originally I wanted the adept spell to be as fallows:

Requires: Blaze 1
Effect:
+1 Blaze Affinity
+100% chance of being removed on next turn
If the unit enters a battle it is killed even if it won

That way it would turn my units into monsters but at a great price.
What do you think of that?

I think this would be a much better method, personally.

Hmm... Okay, I can see the basis for it then. Still not particularly fond of it, but it's not as bad.
You will understand more once you get to see the secret behind them...

I think this would be a much better method, personally.
That's what I'll do than.

Also, can anyone help me with a unit I am making.
I am having problems with the hat being transparent when it should not be.

Attachments

• Upload of ________ Mage.rar
    226.8 KB · Views: 61
Update, I have the stats for my hero and I need people to look at them.

Name: /racename/ Giant
Strength: 7 + 1 Blaze Affinity + Collateral Damage (20%)
Available: Late-Mid game
Starts With: Monstrous Creature, Hero, their Race Promotion and Homeland

I am willing to let go of the Blaze Affinity but I want him to be linked to Blaze in some way.
Also, I need a good tech to bind him to. Any tips?

PS. How many heroes per civ is the limit/optimum since they can't adopt religions.

I thought Xienwolf had a decimal system in FF - maybe that was on the 'to do' list when Vehem Ascended cast Stasis ...

EDIT: that was weird, I was replying to what I thought was the last post, only to be ninja'd by eight hours of posting. Anyway, re: hero - there is absolutely nothing wrong with a hero having affinity - especially mid-late game. The balance issue comes when mobs have affinity. As for a binding tech, it is hard to make any suggestions without knowing more about the civ's lore. Perhaps Fanaticism? Military Strategy? (that tech should have something besides Blitz) Arcane Lore? Engineering? I think it is best to just decide on one for now, and playtest it for balance consideration.

Well from a lore perspective the hero is a Gentle Giant that dislikes violence and would not harm a fly. He is also not too smart but not stupid either.
But he gets really angry when people attack his people and once he is motivated he really, really destroys things.

So on a horizontal scale (left to right) I am thinking of having him somewhere between Animal Handling and Animal Mastery

I case anyone is interested, and they are not as it would seem, the project is going nicely.
For now I am thinking of two leaders, one is true neutral and the other Chaotic Evil.

Any good trait combos that you think would work for this?

Can anyone look at the model I uploaded?
I have been trying to make the hat non transparent for all this time but to no avail.

Can anyone look at the model I uploaded?
I have been trying to make the hat non transparent for all this time but to no avail.

Line 44 NiAlphaProperty remove that node

Thanks, I would have newer found it on my own.

Update: With 1.3 up so is this project entering alpha stage. I need help however with a tech.

When I put it into the game modular it works fine except for one small error: [image]
Here is the tech it self in modular form.

Someone please check it out and tell me what is causing the problem. I did not make any other changes to the game other than adding said tech. (for test purposes)

Attachments

• Error.JPG
    Error.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 164
  • PPQ.rar
    21.9 KB · Views: 63
Yes, this is a bug with modules and techs. I think somebody else had encountered the same problem. May have been Jherals Mekara or a project by Jemon.

It doesn't change anything about the game, it just looks silly.

I don't think anybody did anything to fix that, except avoiding adding techs via modules :)

Quite right. I've had this issue multiple times before. The only way to avoid it is to add the tech in the core files (either the whole thing, or an entry without any tags, but with the type tag filled in, so that you can mod it with a module), which obviously is a bad idea for a module.

So it can't be done at all.
GOD DAM IT!:mad::mad::mad:

Untill this is fixed my entire project is down the drain. And it was to be my first project as well. :sad::sad::sad:

Update: With 1.3 up so is this project entering alpha stage. I need help however with a tech.

When I put it into the game modular it works fine except for one small error: [image]
Here is the tech it self in modular form.

Someone please check it out and tell me what is causing the problem. I did not make any other changes to the game other than adding said tech. (for test purposes)

So it can't be done at all.
GOD DAM IT!:mad::mad::mad:

Untill this is fixed my entire project is down the drain. And it was to be my first project as well. :sad::sad::sad:

That bug is entirely graphical. It will not effect gameplay in any way, shape, or form, so you can actually keep working on it. ;)

I know, I was overreacting. I am a writer/roleplayer. It's what I do.
I am typing the background for my leader right now.

But on the serious side, I can't release it as public while the bug exists. So even when I finish it if it is not fixed I can't well release it at all. I hope it gets fixed by the time I finish the 99% of the work remaining, the art and the coding.

PS. If you people are interested I can post it here once it is done for a preview.

Spoiler the story :
The snow, it was everywhere. For weeks if not months it had covered the land as far as the eyes could see like a white blanket suffocating the world buried beneath. Winter had long since passed but it refused to melt. And with each day that it staid died the hopes for the fledgling crops and memories of the touch of sun light that gave all things life.

Beneath it the world was dying. Nature and man alike slowly vanished as the world was no longer able to sustain them. Many starved in their homes and dens, many others lay sick and dying as herbs and medicine were wasted by the snow, others yet and many of them lay in the thick snow awaiting helplessly passage to their eternal rest.

So many died in fact that death it self became meaningless. All records were long since abandoned and now not even the stars cared to fall when another corpse expired in the wastes. This night was different however. For among the victims of the evening was one unlike all the others, one so different that the hand of fate it self felt compelled to intervene. For among the endless snow lay a creature like no other. A man of reed and straw woven together like a wicker basket. And as he lay there, face down like so many others, awaiting peacefully his inevitable end something changed. For fate knew that this was not his time, and that his journey would have many chapters yet.

The creature, or rather person in the snow however knew nothing of this. It's mind was peaceful and resigned. From the moment he ran away he knew this was how it would end. And even so he had to run, there was no other choice left. And as his life slowly passed before his eyes for the one last time he knew that he would have made the same choice again.

Back on the farmstead where he lived he was just one of many. Creatures of straw called by many names, they were created by the Parthian Empire as work force. A cheap substitute for golems where money was short and straw was plentiful. And even thou there were so many he was always different. He newer gave any sign of it, and perhaps other simply did not as well yet deep inside he always knew that this was not the case. He was different from them, unique in his own way. He did not know what it was but there was something inside him a spark so to speak that set him apart from the rest of his brothers and sisters. Be he kept silent about it and it went unnoticed until it was too late.

For years he had served his masters faithfully. His masters were fair and honest people and times were plentiful. He performed every task they gave him, every order they issued without question. And over the years he grew fond of them coming to see them as something he could newer have, a thing the humans would call family. And yet all of this proved to only be an illusion. An illusion scattered brutally on that wary night. For it was on that night that he finally realized his masters had abandoned all reason. And it was on that night that he was savagely betrayed.

At first he barely noticed it. But as winter set in and the crops failed more and more of his brethren disappeared without a trace. Slowly he began to notice that day after day the masters would take some of them from the shelter where they were resting and that those they took would newer return again. But he dismissed it as just coincidence, illusions, or even madness on his part. He could not, would not or rather did not wish to see the truth before it was too late. For it was his own loyalty and caring for them that had left him blinded until that faithful nigh. For that night was the one when his turn finally came.

For the first time in his life he felt filled with fear and he panicked. He tried to explain to them that he was alive, that he had feelings and dreams and he begged them to spare him. But they would not listen. Impatient to feed the beasts and confused the man attacked him. Hearing the shouting, the farmers wife rushed into the barn and seeing the creature resist her husband she scoured it with a pitchfork pinning him to the wall. But he could not die, he would not die, not that way. Instinct took over and as if in a trance he ripped away from the pitchfork ripping at his own wicker flesh leaving gaping wounds that none could survive. Yet survive is just what he did and more. He lunged at the door throwing the farmer and his wife aside like rag dolls into the surrounding hay and fled. And he fled, and fled, and fled. He did not know how far he had run or in what direction nor did he care. For he knew he would not survive the night that was before him. But if he was to die he would die knowing that his flesh would not be used to feed the beasts of the betrayers. At least in death he would become free. Exhausted he fell onto the snow and waited for death to come. And he was at peace.

But it was not to be, not that night and not for a weary long time. He newer thought about death before, and as he lay there waiting for it he found that strange. He wondered how it would come for him and if he would see it or if he would just close his eyes and disappear. And as he was not human he wondered if there was something there for him as well, something after the end. But mostly he wondered what it was taking so long. And than it came for him, or so he thought.

A bright flame like a burning star appeared in the air just above him. It's light shined over the ground around him so hard that the snow began to melt. With what must have been his last atom of strength he turned around to face it prepared to look death in the eyes. But what he saw both stunned and amazed him and it would remain etched into his mind for no matter how long he lived. For above him was no star, no flaming ball of death but an angel. It's wings ignited with magical flame burned at the cold around him melting the snow and bringing back life. He felt energy returning to him. And as he lay there trying to understand what was happening the angel spoke:
"Listen to me young one, and do not speak."
"I have been watching you for a long time. You are special, different from all your brethren. You have within you a spark, a remnant of my mistress, a fragment of her true self still left upon this plane. It is what has drawn me to you when all lights had faded and what has kept me alive for so long at your side. And it is what gave you life and made you who you are."
The angel stood still for a moment pausing his light flickering like a candle in the breeze. One could feel its pain as it struggled to maintain its shape and existence during what seemed like its dying breath. Slowly and with great effort it spoke out again.
"I can tell you no more. My time here is short. The flame of my existence is dying and I have used too much of it already by appearing to you."
"But it was what had to be done. For without my help you would die and that can not be allowed to happen. I do not know why the flame has chosen you but it has. And it has given you the potential to become so much more than you ever dreamed. I have seen this in its reflection, in the way it burns within you. But not even I can see beyond."
"All I can tell you is that you are destined to do what must be done and that I am destined to ensure you live to do it."
And with those words the angel swooped forward pining the man of straw to the ground. The angels shape deteriorated the man could feel the fire flowing through him, consuming him but he did not burn. The straw of his body did not ignite yet the flames lit up a fire inside. For the first time in his existence he felt alive, not just a living intelligent slave but a real living creature almost as if he was made of flesh. He felt power surging through him as if he was the center of all existence, the living god of straw ascended on this plane. And than it all disappeared and the light of the fire slowly dimmed and vanished into the blackness of winter.

Reborn, the man of wicker stood up. Beneath his feet lay a puddle of ice, all that remained as evidence to what had occurred. He looked up at the sky and whispered to the vanished angel: "You shall not be forgotten. I shall do what must be done." And than he slowly turned and started walking back to the farmstead from whence he came.

That night the snow ran red.

I need your comments on three counts:
1. Content, is the story any good.
2. Grammar and formating, did I format it correctly and how do I format it to the standard in game pedia format.
3. Validity, since this is in a nut shell the source of my entire race how does it match up to regular FFH lore and would it be acceptable.

Here, I can't promise it's perfect, but I cleaned up the grammar of your story a bit.

Spoiler :
The snow was everywhere. For weeks (if not months) it had covered the land as far as the eye could see. It was like a white blanket suffocating the world buried beneath. Winter had long since passed, but it refused to melt. And with each day that it stayed, man's hope for his fledgling crops and his memories of the touch of sun-light, which gives all things life died.

Beneath it the world was dying. Nature and man alike slowly vanished, as the world was no longer able to sustain them. Many starved in their homes and dens. Many others lay sick and dying as herbs could not be grown because of the snow, and medicine could not be made without herbs. Others yet , lay in the thick snow waiting helplessly for their passage to eternal rest.

So many died that death itself became meaningless. All records had long since been abandoned and now not even the stars cared to fall when another corpse expired in the wastes. This night was different however. For among the victims of the evening was one unlike all the others. One so different, that the hand of fate itself felt compelled to intervene. For among the endless snow lay a creature like no other. A man of reed and straw woven together like a wicker basket. And as he lay there, face down like so many others, waiting peacefully for his inevitable end, something changed. For fate knew that this was not his time, and that his journey would have many chapters yet.

The creature, or rather person, in the snow however knew nothing of this. It's mind was peaceful and resigned. From the moment he ran away he knew this was how it would end. And even so he had to run, there was no other choice left. And as his life slowly passed before his eyes, one last time he knew that he would have made the same choice again.

Back on the farmstead where he lived he was just one of many. Creatures of straw called by many names, they were created by the Parthian Empire as it's work force. A cheap substitute for golems where money was short and straw was plentiful. And even though there were so many, he was always different. He newer gave any sign of it, and perhaps others simply did not either, yet deep inside he always knew that this was not the case. He was different from them, unique in his own way. He did not know what it was, but there was something inside him, a spark so to speak, that set him apart from the rest of his brothers and sisters. Be he kept silent about it and it went unnoticed until it was too late.

For years he had served his masters faithfully. His masters were fair and honest people and times were plentiful. He performed every task they gave him, every order they issued without question. And over the years he grew fond of them, coming to see them as something he could newer have, a thing the humans would call family. And yet all of this proved to only be an illusion. An illusion scattered brutally on that very night. For it was on that night that he finally realized his masters had abandoned all reason. And it was on that night that he was savagely betrayed.

At first he barely noticed it. But as winter set in and the crops failed more and more of his brethren disappeared without a trace. Slowly he began to notice that day after day the masters would take some of them from the shelter where they were resting and that those they took would never return again. But he dismissed it as just coincidence, illusions, or even madness on his part. He could not, would not or rather did not wish to see the truth before it was too late. For it was his own loyalty and caring for them that had left him blinded until that faithful night. For that night was the one when his turn finally came.

For the first time in his life he felt filled with fear and he panicked. He tried to explain to them that he was alive, that he had feelings and dreams and he begged them to spare him. But they would not listen. Impatient to feed the beasts the confused man attacked him. When she heard the shouting, the farmers wife rushed into the barn. Seeing him resist her husband, she attacked him with a pitchfork and pinned him to the wall. But he could not die. He would not die. Not in that way. Instinct took over and as if in a trance, he ripped away from the pitchfork ripping his own wicker flesh, leaving gaping wounds that none could survive. [possibly reword this sentence, or break it up, confusing] Yet survive is just what he did (and more). He lunged at the door, throwing the farmer and his wife aside into the surrounding hay like rag dolls and fled. And he fled, and fled, and fled. He did not know how far he had run or in what direction, nor did he care. For he knew he would not survive the night that was before him. But if he was to die, he would die knowing that his flesh would not be used to feed the beasts of the betrayers. At least in death he would become free. Exhausted he fell onto the snow and waited for death to come. And he was at peace. [Changed person references from third to second person in a few sentences to match the rest of the paragraph]

But it was not to be, not that night and not for a weary long time. He had never thought about death before. And as he lay there waiting for it, he found this strange. He wondered how it would come for him, and if he would see it or if he would just close his eyes and disappear. And as he was not human, he wondered if there was something after the end for him as well. But mostly he wondered why it was taking so long. And then at long last it came for him, or so he thought.

A bright flame like a burning star appeared in the air just above him. It's light shined over the ground around him so brightly that the snow began to melt. With what must have been his last atom of strength, he turned around to see it and prepared to look death in the eyes. But what he saw both stunned and amazed him, and would remain etched in his mind for as long as he lived. For above him was no star, no flaming ball of death, but an angel. It's wings ignited with magical flame which burned at the cold around him and melted the snow and brought back life. He felt energy returning to him. And as he lay there trying to understand what was happening the angel spoke:
"Listen to me young one, and do not speak."
"I have been watching you for a long time. You are special, different from all your brethren. You have within you a spark, a remnant of my mistress, a fragment of her true self still left upon this plane. It is what has drawn me to you when all hope had faded and what has kept me alive for so long at your side. And it is what gave you life and made you who you are."
The angel stood still for a moment pausing, his light flickering like a candle in the breeze. One could feel its pain as it struggled to maintain its shape and existence during what seemed like its dying breath. Slowly and with great effort it spoke again.
"I can tell you no more. My time here is short. The flame of my existence is dying and I have used too much of it already by appearing to you."
"But it was what had to be done. For without my help you would die and that can not be allowed to happen. I do not know why the flame has chosen you but it has. And it has given you the potential to become so much more than you ever dreamed. I have seen this in its reflection, in the way it burns within you. But not even I can see beyond."
"All I can tell you is that you are destined to do what must be done and that I am destined to make sure you live to do it."
And with those words the angel swooped forward, pinning the man of straw to the ground. As the angels shape deteriorated, the man could feel the fire flowing through him, consuming him, but he did not burn. The straw of his body did not ignite, yet the flames lit up a fire inside. For the first time in his existence, he felt alive. He was no longer just a living intelligent slave, but he was a real living creature almost as if he was made of flesh. He felt power surging through him as if he was the center of all existence, the living god of straw ascended on this plane. And then, the flame disappeared and the light of the fire slowly dimmed and vanished into the blackness of winter.

Reborn, the man of wicker stood up. Beneath his feet lay a puddle of ice, all that remained as evidence of what had occurred. He looked up at the sky and whispered to the vanished angel: "You shall not be forgotten. I shall do what must be done." And then he slowly turned and started to walk back to the farmstead from whence he had come.

That night the snow ran red.

Thank you but... I was not asking for editing, just comments. For example, I would newer use () in a text, just makes it look strange and brakes narration. Especially on putting it into pedia format. Thanks anyway...

I am most interested in my final point thou. Can it fit into FFH lore? And is Bhal male or female?

Top Bottom