[FFH] - Miss Mahala and the Uncultured Boors

We don't need to raze Celo to found the copper city, so we can send the next settler there. Not sure if it's the best option, but it sure is thematic enough.

I say we should keep warring until the end of the game. Always pick another target. And pillage a lot. Let's make this a pillage economy.

I can play tomorrow, but since some of you seem to be busy, I think is best if I let the sunday for the players with less time. If no one else can grab it, I can do it.

We don't need to raise Celo to found the copper city, so we can send the next settler there. Not sure if it's the best option, but it sure is thematic enough.

Mostly I meant if we wanted to keep all of its tiles. Without building any culture, whenever Celo popped borders, we'd lose tiles and the city would flip without troops.

By the by, I think Arturus might snipe that double oasis spot.

Good call on getting Crafting > Mining before Education. As long as we keep the Copper in our territory, we should be good by the time we get BW.

Also, let's get some cash by pillaging Sandalphon back to the stone age. :)

lurker's comment: Subscribed for this one. :) Fell in love with FFH (and EitB) lately.

Played the turnset, report to come next turn.

It'll be a fun game, that's for sure!

Attachments

• RB EitB SG2 AD-0060.CivBeyondSwordSave
    188.8 KB · Views: 45
Yeah I think I am before Ilios if we preserved order. I'll try and squeeze it in tonight, otherwise tomorrow morning.

Darrell

Turns 50-60 report: "finished beastman, started working on beastman"

Sorry for the delay on reporting, but I was very tired when I finished my turnset yesterday. Anyway, let's get on with it!

Turn 50:

Nothing much to do here, but I guess it's worth taking a look into Celo's current defenses:

Spoiler :

Yeah, grinding through that will be a slow process... Especially for a defensive oriented player like myself (i. e. a coward).

Turn 51:

RoK found in a distant land... There goes one of our enabled cultural sources. Well, this way we keep it more hardcore! No "culture from the RoK holy city made the game too easy" argument now. :lol:

I decided to be reckless with my units, since we have too many. Here I take a almost even shot at a skeleton:

Spoiler :

The beastman died, but I cleaned up with the next one. Unfortunately, my recklessmess stopped here and we now have a lot of spare beastman costing us upkeep that could be dead already... If you take a look at the save, you'll see that unit upkeed is pretty high already.

I sent Lewwyn to help the siege of Cielo, since he's far too promoted to be sitting in a city:

Spoiler :

Kyan explored a lair (started exploring it):

Spoiler :

If you are asking yourself while looking at the save for the reasons to why Kyan is a whitered lizardman, now you know... :mad:

Turn 52-53:

Lucian took a 91,8% shot against the top defending warrior and won: 22/26 xp.

Combat 2, shock 1 beastman took a 69,8% shot against a warrior and won too. it was enough for another promotion, so he's now combat 3 (no march yet, unfortuantely).

Turn 54:

After the worker, I finished a beastman in the capital to grow it to size 6 (happiness from the silk). After that, started on a settler.

Spoiler :

The finished beastman started mutated with Blitz! Nice! We should promote him to a unit that can take advantage of it.

Don't let the BW research fool you, though. I thought a lot about what to tech now and I decided that we needed economy more then army. We can take Celo with what we have and our research rate is rather worrisome. So I went for cartography. Yes, cartography. I think city states will be the best civic for our game plan, with its massive maintenance decrease (and it can be coupled with conquest too, unlike aristocracy). And it's boring to always go for the same techs, anyway.

That's why I haven't revolted yet to conquest/apprenticeship. Let's wait until city states and do a triple revolt.

Spoiler :

Turn 55-57:

Lucian took a 91,6% battle and won, getting 27/26 xp. Promoted to march, so we can take Celo sooner. It's a hell of a useful promotion anyway.

The combat 3, shock 1 warrior took a 90,6% odds battle and survived with 0.1 strenght:

Spoiler :

I think this guy needs a name. He'll be out of combat for a long time, though...

Turn 58:

Stop spamming warriors, damn ghost! PS: Notice the GEng there!

Spoiler :

Go Lewwyn!

Spoiler :

He won! It was enough for another promo, combat 2.

Turn 59:

:clap: :devil: :band:

We got to raze our first World Wonder, how nice!

Spoiler :

Lucian kills yet another poor soul (literally) at 95,4% odds.

Turn 60:

Met the Kuriotates.

Settler finished in capital and it's not moved yet. I suggest we settle a city near Celo's current position. It'll be a better commerce site then the Bronze one (the Khazad stole the 2 oasis site).

Here's my proposed placing:

Spoiler :

We get wine, silk and rivers. There's another settler being produced in Glass, so we can settle the bronze next.

Things to notice:

*I should have been more agressive during my turns. We have a lot of beastmen and nothing else to produce. I think a city is actually building a granary now, can't remember without the save, and that's because we can't afford more units. The solution is to waste them. There are some unpromoted beastmen heading to Celo now. They'll have 15% odds or something and I suggest we take it.

*I should have built more workers. We are in dire need of them right now. We have two more settlers and not enough workers to help them.

*I'm laying cottages in Heart and Openings, because we really need commerce.

*Revolt as soon as City States comes in.

*Stupid governor is trying really hard to make us not work the high commerce tiles. Be careful!

Lurker's comment: I've just finished a FFH scenario (Return of Winter) game where I, playing as Doviello, needed to kill a lot of warriors in Bannor capital, so I had a serious case of deja vu when reading your SG! I killed them with Sons of Asena (axemen), though.

Don't let the BW research fool you, though. I thought a lot about what to tech now and I decided that we needed economy more then army. We can take Celo with what we have and our research rate is rather worrisome. So I went for cartography. Yes, cartography. I think city states will be the best civic for our game plan, with its massive maintenance decrease (and it can be coupled with conquest too, unlike aristocracy). And it's boring to always go for the same techs, anyway.
City States seems reasonable; I agree that maintenance will be our biggest headache. I think it was probably a mistake to try to consolidate the revolts, though - those unpromoted Beastmen aren't worth a whole lot, where if they were CI/Shock, they'd be much more valuable. Not worth revolting with only 2 turns remaining on the research, though!

Settler finished in capital and it's not moved yet. I suggest we settle a city near Celo's current position. It'll be a better commerce site then the Bronze one (the Khazad stole the 2 oasis site).

I agree that's a good site - but we can't settle it until Celo's gone! Are we really going to be able to raze Celo before we build the next settler?

City States seems reasonable; I agree that maintenance will be our biggest headache. I think it was probably a mistake to try to consolidate the revolts, though - those unpromoted Beastmen aren't worth a whole lot, where if they were CI/Shock, they'd be much more valuable. Not worth revolting with only 2 turns remaining on the research, though!

I agree that's a good site - but we can't settle it until Celo's gone! Are we really going to be able to raze Celo before we build the next settler?

1. I wasn't building beastmen in the capital at the time (settler duty) and I wanted the other cities (the ones building beastmen) to grow, so conquest wouldn't have helped. I thought a lot about it and waiting seemed to be the best idea.

2. I'm not sure. Lucian is very promoted, but even with March he takes like 2 turns to heal. I think Lewwyn will be able to attack another warrior soon too and there are some sacrifical warriors arriving.

The time we need for the settler to go there may be enough, but I'm not sure.

By the way, there's a worker and a settler in Celo right now. If we capture it, at least we solve some of our lack of work force problems.

AH, thanks, Mardoc, that made me remember!

What about popping our world spell? It won't be of much use later and I think we will benefit a lot from taking the Sidar out as fast as possible (and getting the workers). So I say we should wait for the 2 sacrificial warriors to reach Celo and pop the spell. We should have enough to take the city then.

What do you guys think?

Lurker's comment: I've just finished a FFH scenario (Return of Winter) game where I, playing as Doviello, needed to kill a lot of warriors in Bannor capital, so I had a serious case of deja vu when reading your SG! I killed them with Sons of Asena (axemen), though.

I didn't play all the FfH scenarios. Just a few of them, actually. But they were very fun to play.

That makes me wonder: would we have interest for playing these FfH campaigns as SGs? I would be up for the challenge.

I didn't play all the FfH scenarios. Just a few of them, actually. But they were very fun to play.
Some of them aren't designed that well, but some of them are quite good. My favourites are The Splintered Court (I even wrote up a lost game with it!) and Wages of Sin.

AH, thanks, Mardoc, that made me remember!

What about popping our world spell? It won't be of much use later and I think we will benefit a lot from taking the Sidar out as fast as possible (and getting the workers). So I say we should wait for the 2 sacrificial warriors to reach Celo and pop the spell. We should have enough to take the city then.

What do you guys think?

I like the idea. We do need more space, soon, and that's a good way to get it. Only one thing - it'll be very expensive. So we should wait until that stack of Beastmen is nearly to Celo, so that we can call the wolves and use them up right away.

I like the idea. We do need more space, soon, and that's a good way to get it. Only one thing - it'll be very expensive. So we should wait until that stack of Beastmen is nearly to Celo, so that we can call the wolves and use them up right away.

Yeah, you are right. It's probably best to even delete some wolves or quickly turn them into wolf packs. Better yet, time the world spell to be used in the anarchy turn, so we avoid paying the expenses.

Top Bottom