The Deity Challenge Line-up #23 - Huns' invasion

Nah, with my desktop still acting up, I'm not risking and currently playing on my laptop. Well, not really currently, I'm at work right now :D but I'm using my laptop and loading takes forever so I'll just burst it for 50 or so turns in a session and if it works, fine, if it doesn't, I have to restart and since it's late in the day and work in the morning, that's usually when I have to call it a day and say oh well, I'll clear up the maps for the weekend

(that was also why the Brazil game took forever to finish, I should have had it done as late as Monday)

Saving doesnt even take forever, all you have to do is press ctrl+s and itll save like a blink.

yeah but note that I didn't mention the word "saving" but I did mention the word "loading" :)

Christ...I keep seeing people complaining about the slowness of the game. Turns take several minutes, according to some. Now loading takes 2-3 minutes!

Really, my laptop is the slowest machine capable of actually playing the game, and loading takes a maximum of 20 seconds. If it takes longer on your machine, I think you ought to have it checked.

Or maybe you're just exaggerating?

I'm definitely not exaggerating but I definitely do need to have that checked. Hopefully I won't need to but, eh, sometimes some things are just too much hassle

Christ...I keep seeing people complaining about the slowness of the game. Turns take several minutes, according to some. Now loading takes 2-3 minutes!

Really, my laptop is the slowest machine capable of actually playing the game, and loading takes a maximum of 20 seconds. If it takes longer on your machine, I think you ought to have it checked.

Or maybe you're just exaggerating?
Well, you said you play with low settings? I play with high or highest quality settings because I enjoy visuals. It's probably why some people experience slowness.

By the way, my problem went away. It was that Babylon DCL and some other map which were bugged for me. I have had normal turn times (for high quality) since then.

One can't have one's cake and eat it.

Well, you said you play with low settings? I play with high or highest quality settings because I enjoy visuals. It's probably why some people experience slowness.
Mhh.
I have manually edited my config file to get lower than low settings ;)

Alright, mad props to everyone who manages this way of playing, but there's nothing I can do against ten Legions on turn 60, so yeah, I'll just play another map :)

Alright, mad props to everyone who manages this way of playing, but there's nothing I can do against ten Legions on turn 60, so yeah, I'll just play another map :)
I don;t know what your conquest order was, but after I grabbed Addis Ababa and was fighting Washington, Caesar moved his army to my borders and did take Addis Ababa. That's... fine with me because I recaptured it. The nice thing about Rome coming from the south is all the forest which protects you from Balistas, and Legions will slowly go down to HA's. His early units are pretty strong, but not as strong as others.

Spoiler :
Captured Washington on turn 16 with an upgraded warrior to battering ram, however I wasn't able to take New York before he met Rome and Ethiopia so they hate me. Don't usually play a militaristic game but I think I'm going to have to spam out horse archers and battering rams and try and take out everyone on the continent because there's no way I can win if they tell lies to whoever's on the other continent about my "warmongering".

Washington is my new capital, all those sea resources with a lighthouse, just makes me happy thinking about it. Will probably focus Attila's Court solely on military/production. Haven't scouted out Roman territory but Ethiopia looks like relatively easy terrain, will just pick off his units with HAs while building BRs then move in(sounds solid theoretically but I'm pretty meh at warfare on deity)

Currently T25, hopefully I'll have more time to play this weekend.

Spoiler :
I can't believe I went for science with Attila but i just made it between Washington and Caesar.they really wanted me dead but i managed to bribe mostly Ceasar and later the Viking to attack each other.
I took my first settler all the way south on the coast next to the wonder as i really did not like the tundra starting tiles .
I went liberty and hurried a first settlers as the place was getting crowded very fast.
i managed to stay peaceful to the end as i was seeing nukes fly by to New york.
I got my last GS with the space station fair,already had my 9 GS ready to bulb while everyone else was still in the race to win the fair.I made sure to stop at 850 to prepare for an eventual DOW from my 2 neighbors .I gave them both open border so i could see the fight on my land

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 2.14.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-03-14 at 2.14.55 AM.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 240
T220ish Update.

Spoiler :
I decided to play on with this game while waiting for the next one. Only just got battleships so not gonna beat Acken's time, but I did make good use of the Frigates to Capture both of Theo's surviving cities, by choosing Range as early as possible. With the Honor XP bonus this means that all my Battleships (8 or 9) have at least 3 promotions already, so with any luck Harald will have been spamming Berserkers and Archaeologists and won't have a great navy, and I can get him by 230. But Ash will be a different kettle of fish. He has GW, Himeji and Red Fort and an army more than 18x my size :O

SPs so far: Full Honor, then Full Liberty, Opened Rationalism, Autocracy til Clausewitz.

Good thinking Bob, I'll see what I can do about that
Looking in my config file and searching for this old thread, I found one of the changes i made. I edited this line in the [DisableSystems] part of config.ini
Code:
; Set to 1 to disable Waves system
Waves = 1
It will stop waves animation and make water flat, but can make a noticeable speed improvement depending on system. Some members reported they didn't notice an improvement in speed with this disabled so i guess it depends on what's slowing you.

Oh you can do something. You can have 6 horse archers, 4 of them attacking twice :viking: Legions fall to multiple HA shots quickly on open ground. Try to use your mobility to fight where you have the advantage.

T252 Domination Victory

Spoiler :
For anyone that doesn't believe I'm sloppy, consider the fact that I was so dumb I didn't even know that the Celts and India were in this game until I came across their capitals in the fog of war. I completely miscounted the capitals I had to conquer. So although Ash controlled them all, it meant that after dispatching Harald, I had to slog around the continent to take out (in order) Edinburgh, Assur and then Delhi. I guess there are advantages to wiping everyone off your continent, in that you begin with a diplomatic clean sheet, you can still found a religion really late, etc, etc, but lack of scouting proved hilarious in this game.

Honor gave so much gold I could buy anything I want and on the turn I won I had ludicrous happiness despite 10+ puppeted cities. No commerce, no Patronage happiness, just CS alliances, Autocracy happiness and lots of rush-bought zoos.

Battleships are OP when they have range, logistics and supply. Bombers (which is what the AI is building) don't stand a chance.

I usually hate having to war in the Modern Era but this time it was quite fun. I don't think I got any better at naval conquest but I guess this proves I don't really need to be. All war is economy based so even sloppy players like me can win if I just keep pumping out units and growing the cities for science. I was about 10 turns away from having Nuclear Fission and really wanted to see the look on Boudicca's face when I nuked her after liberating her. I'm not sure there is even any kind of weird Steam Achievement for that, but I just hate the Celts. :D

Not much else to say except I suppose thanks to Acken for a fun and challenging map. Getting the economy in shape required me to really go into the tank for a while mid game. Liberty was the solution in the end.

Screenshots show (L-R):

Theodora bunting, Some weird piece of square land near a CS (map bug?) and VC.

Spoiler :
Finally had the time for a dom victory. Horse archers are so OP so cleared my island by T100. Then it was friggates and battleships. Made loads of mistakes such as making Oxford by mistake lol. It was full honour, full commerce, 2 into exploration and autocracy. Pity it wasn't a pangea map, because I was starting to enjoy the horse archers...

Attachments

• atilla dom t289.jpg
    atilla dom t289.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 277
Spoiler :
Finally had the time for a dom victory. Horse archers are so OP so cleared my island by T100. Then it was friggates and battleships. Made loads of mistakes such as making Oxford by mistake lol. It was full honour, full commerce, 2 into exploration and autocracy. Pity it wasn't a pangea map, because I was starting to enjoy the horse archers...

You still need kaupeng. Kaupeng is needed by you to achieve victory and be like Augustus.

Top Bottom