Questions about Culture Victory

I'd like to open up a question that has been discused in similiar threads- is it worth it to build musician's guild early and fill opera houses with works, or is it strictly better to save it till industrial/modern and use them for bombing only (like most people recommend?)
I usually go with the former but I find myself in lack of great works...even when prioritising architecture i rarely get more than 5 digs

If you want to speed it up, consider taking out a guy next door with a lot of great works. Culture victory is about having a lot of hammers, especially in the capital. For getting crucial buildings, hopefully a few culture wonders to boot and for being able to win worlds fair.

If you put some of those hammers into a small army and take out a nearby capital with some great works in it, maybe a culture wonder or two, and if it happens to be one of the AI culture leaders, you can speed up your tourism by a good amount.
Brutally slowing down a culture leader in the progress. Bribing war mongers into harrashing the ones with strongest culture also helps :)

I would not suggest using musician's guild early and turn it into great works, but to be fair I never tested it.

Hate from WR is one of most exaggerated things on this forum imo.

It's only one bright red modifier - same as 'you settle your cities too aggressively' ( you play many liberty games lately , so you should know ;)),
but coming much later (you have about 100 turns to prepare your diplomacy on it), last only ~25 turns and after next IG proposition everyone will be liked you again. :)

Granted the idea might be to always pass it first. THe problem I had in my last game was that I passed it in second which means it comes at the same time as ideologies. Cummulating both might be too much.

I wouldn't get it if I already have both Sistine Chapel and Uffizi. One can only generate so much Great Works of Art.

I thought the Louvre was worth burning the opener on?

I can't see how using a social policy to get you a wonder like the Louvre can be worth it. Surely better going to finish Aesthetics earlier, finish Rationalism so you can get the Internet for free, getting further towards your ideological goals.

For a culture victory, I'll have huge amounts of tourism from all the multipliers (maybe 800 per turn to their 40, and that's without International Games or Worlds Fair), but there's usually one civ with so much accumulated culture I have to conquer them -- and sometimes annihilate them. Otherwise I have to deliberately not take the diplomatic victory when it becomes available to give the tourism more time to work.

How do you use Great Musicians if the culture runaway won't give you open borders in the later eras? Declare war, but then use GM bombs instead of nukes?

When I build Broadway, I don't have hotels and airports and National Visitor Center yet so any concert tours wouldn't be worth much. And it doesn't help to save a GM for later because their strength is determined when they are born...

I'm obviously not using GM's to their full potential, but I don't see how you can.

Yes, DOW the AI and bomb them with GMs. If the AI is far away, gift them one of your cities before DOWing them and send your GMs to that city. But move quickly, lest the AI choose to raze the city or sell it to another AI.

As for GM timing, you can build Broadway whenever you like, but most players pursuing a CV will skip Broadway (since the one GM comes too early and you aren't going to complete the theming bonus in any event -- really, a waste of hammers). Most important, don't build the Musician's Guild until very late in the game, after your tourism levels are high enough to justify spawning GMs for concert tours.

I thought the Louvre was worth burning the opener on?

The opener itself is good, even without the Louvre. (assuming your map has enough water to have a navy) Even Pangaea maps have an ocean around the outside and lots of coastal cities. The highlands and Great Plains maps, not so much.

I'm playing the Shoshone, Normal speed, King, Continents, all victories. Up to turn 407, I've closed out the policy trees for Piety, Aesthetics, Exploration, and Commerce, with 2 Order tents, and Arts Funding passed.

Despite all that, China has beaten me to Uffizi and Broadway, and won the World's Fair. She has 12 cities including the ones it got from devouring Carthage and Russia, and you can see them in this chopped-up screenshot that includes my vital stats and the current CV situation:
Spoiler :

I assume the total tourism stat for each civ is different because of the modifiers? My modifier for China went down after they were trade-embargoed.

Beijing alone has 84 tourism according to the most recent list. I fear I have no choice but to declare war on them and take at least that city if I have any hope of getting this CV. I've heard about bribing others into DoWing the main target, but I'm not sure my gold output could support it (see shot below). The International Games are under way, perhaps I can build up an army while China devotes their production to the Games instead, and will be less prepared for my assault!

With the buildings I was able to score and the digs I've completed (including one on Chinese soil, she did not appreciate that), I'll running out of space for artifacts and great works of art:
Spoiler :

Here's the rest of my economic picture:
Spoiler :

Perhaps I should go back in time further, before China built Broadway:
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

So, is there any hope?

Looking at screenshots in other threads, I feel like I'm missing something substantial about culture victories. Other people have tourism in the hundreds. I feel like I'm a stud if I get it over 100 and that's usually 200+ turns into the game.

Do all great writers and artists get turned into great works? What do you do with the great scientists? Save them until the end like a science game but pop Internet instead? Is Liberty better than tradition -- even if the empire will be around 4 cities? Did I ask too many questions in one post?!

Yes... but you can pop a writer or 2 if necessary. Save them. Yes. No. No.

If you get archaeologists, fill museums and make works with the GWAMs then by internet with the tourist center you will be in the hundreds. It's really not complex.

Looking at screenshots in other threads, I feel like I'm missing something substantial about culture victories. Other people have tourism in the hundreds. I feel like I'm a stud if I get it over 100 and that's usually 200+ turns into the game.

Do all great writers and artists get turned into great works? What do you do with the great scientists? Save them until the end like a science game but pop Internet instead? Is Liberty better than tradition -- even if the empire will be around 4 cities? Did I ask too many questions in one post?!

That's also my issue, except my tourism is always at 400-ish max :lol:

If it's really not complex then that makes my current game look bad. :lol: Are there turn benchmarks for how much tourism a player needs? In this game, with 100+, I should be able to manage 300 with the Internet and International Games -- assuming I win. Is 20 turns of 300+ tourism that late enough? Doesn't seem like it will be. I'll play it out and see I guess.

(Actually, in this particular game I know it won't be enough because Ramesses is being a crazy, wonder-hoarding jerk with no ocean ports for me to establish a trade route with... But it's a learning experience!)

Top Bottom