The Deity Challenge Line-up #39 - Austria

Acken

Deity
There is now a thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=546469

The map is attached at the bottom of this post !

Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.

Rules:

- New games will be posted every 10 days.
- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
- We try for a variety of starts
- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.
- When posting about your victory, please begin the post with the turn number and Victory Condition in bold letters - e.g. "T247 DiploV" (this is so the person who updates the spreadsheet can see it more easily)

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

- - -

DCL Game #39
You: Austria
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Ice Age

Extra Settings:
Spoiler :
18 city states Low Seas Wide Continents

Difficulty:
Spoiler :
Medium to hard

Starting Location:

Spoiler :

Quick combat and movement are on (turn them off if you like)

Game Version - 1.0.3.279
Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Spain and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Past Games

Spoiler :
Super Easy

Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangaea
Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval

Easy

Game #03 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #05 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #06 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #08 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Fractal
Game #34 30/06/15 Egypt Europe
Game #36 20/07/15 Assyria Mesopotamia

Medium

Game #01 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #07 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangaea
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangaea
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangaea
Game #29 10/05/15 Carthage Small Continents
Game #32 10/06/15 England Continents
Game #33 20/06/15 Songhai Pangaea
Game #37 05/08/15 France Inland Sea
Game #38 15/08/15 Greece Lakes

Hard

Game #02 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #04 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #09 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #30 20/05/15 Iroquois Pangea
Game #31 31/05/15 Ottomans Fractal
Game #39 01/09/15 Ausria Ice Age

Super Hard

Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangaea

Past Games Links
Spoiler :

Game #01 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #02 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #03 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #04 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #05 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #06 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #07 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #08 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #09 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangea
Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangea
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangea
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Continents
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangea
Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval
Game #29 10/05/15 Carthage Small Continents
Game #30 20/05/15 Iroquois Pangea
Game #31 31/05/15 Ottomans Continents
Game #32 10/06/15 England Continents
Game #33 20/06/15 Songhai Pangea
Game #34 30/06/15 Egypt Europe
Game #35 10/07/15 Siam OCC Pangea
Game #36 20/07/15 Assyria Mesopotamia
Game #37 05/08/15 France Inland Sea
Game #38 15/08/15 Greece Lakes
Game #39 01/09/15 Austria Ice Age

- - -

I hope you all enjoy the map!

If you want to share a map please send a private message.

Please note that maps you wish to share MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs from your computer.

Attachments

• DCL #39 Austria.Civ5Save
    497.8 KB · Views: 156
Definitely a new type of map for me. I went with only 3 cities (Tradition) early and think some AI are handicapping themselves by expanding to poor locations. It was a love fest early on - hugs for everybody - but certain civs are waging war successfully now. I think I'm going to turtle until XComs; we'll see.

Didn't want to disappoint those soothsayers who predicted I would reinstall the game and play this. :p

However, am going outside my comfort zone and playing for OCC Science.

Didn't want to disappoint those soothsayers who predicted I would reinstall the game and play this. :p

However, am going outside my comfort zone and playing for OCC Science.

I wanted to do an OCC run of this but now it will seem like I'm copying you so I'll do it on one of the following maps :p

Obviously not, I wanted to do an old school legit OCC but that seems like a nice idea also

T333 OCC Science

Spoiler :
I didn't start out wanting to do OCC, but I DID want to find a good spot, so warrior explored a bit and found a mountain and some bananas. I settled T4.

Found Nebby soon after and stole 3 workers before making peace. Since I went Mining first and Archery second, these dudes were able to chop me a T32 ToA. After that I kinda started thinking I would go for OCC, especially since the Scouts had found that there actually weren't any good expo locations.

I then beelined Mathematics and bagged HG as well, after a T75 NC. I also wanted to nab the last religion for more growth, so I delayed a University in favour of Hagia Sophia.

Of course, I bribed the menace to attack Nebby and Cathy, and with them weakened, Attila spunked crappy little cities all over the continent. On the other continents, there was constant war, which mean that even though I was quite late to the Industrial, I took a decent tech lead that I never lost, the first time this has happened to me in OCC (usually they catch up).

I had a good economy, loads of happiness, and was quite content to buy up CS and never marry them. I ran all my trade routes to Attila, but he DoW'ed me twice (I think so he could pillage them?).

The first time, I think his decision was made a few turns earlier and not updated by the arrival of my FL :D

Second time was more worrying: I used FIFTEEN nukes defending my one city from the menace, and in all honesty, without Pocatello's loans I would not have been able to buy the parts.

I'm glad I could get an SV by OCC, but it was REALLY slow. I had scholasticism, full Rationalism, but still it's hard to push the beakers up. Maybe I should have gone for Hospitals and Medical Lab before Research Labs?

Wonders:

ToA, HG, Oracle, Hagia Sophia, Machu Pichu (mainly cuz no one else COULD, I think, and really just for the buffs, the main UA is defunct in OCC, I guess? Doesn't apply to external trade?), Sistine Chapel (cuz no one else built it), Big Ben, SoL, Neuschwanstein, Cristo Redentor, CN Tower, Hubble (natch)

SPs:

Full Tradition, Scholasticism, Full Commerce, Full Rationalism, a ton in Freedom

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 13.23.04.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 13.23.04.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 294
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 23.37.56.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 23.37.56.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 00.11.01.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 00.11.01.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 00.39.18.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 00.39.18.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 01.12.45.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 01.12.45.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 01.38.13.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 01.38.13.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 02.50.33.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 02.50.33.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 168
T333 OCC Science

I used FIFTEEN nukes defending my one city from the menace, and in all honesty, without Pocatello's loans I would not have been able to buy the parts. Full write-up to follow...

Spoiler :
Huns can't reach everywhere. Near the end you could've brought yourself a nice new capital on a far cosy island (CS) and leave Vienna to them if they wanted it so badly :p . Build the nautilus on an isolated island and sail it onto space .

Spoiler :
The map is voluntarily cramped with meh terrain for you to use the UA. Hope this work as expected :p

That got boring playing, essentially, as a neutral civ, so going to start over and make a point of using the UA. Strategy wise, I'm thinking in general it makes more sense to 'take over' a Militaristic CS as you get the benefit of their units (i.e. what you would gradually get through ally status), whereas with something like a Cultural CS you might reduce your main benefit (culture) significantly per turn upon marrying them. For mercantile CS, what happens with their unique luxury? If they keep it, then you'd only lose the 2-3 base happiness vs. when allied to them.

Spoiler :
Near the end you could've brought yourself a nice new capital on a far cosy island (CS)...Build the nautilus on an isolated island and sail it onto space .

Don't get me wrong, there were many ways I could have made this easier for myself, but I wanted a 'pure' OCC SV as I've failed the last few times.

Before I get started, I could really use some insight regard the map settings and the civ UA.

Strategy wise, I'm thinking in general it makes more sense to 'take over' a Militaristic CS as you get the benefit of their units (i.e. what you would gradually get through ally status)

Yes, but that misses the UU of the CS -- which is what I like best about Militaristic CS.

whereas with something like a Cultural CS you might reduce your main benefit (culture) significantly per turn upon marrying them.

Exactly right. Religious CS are similar, but maybe they are less important?

For mercantile CS, what happens with their unique luxury?

It disappears. And for maritime, the food bonus disappears.

As with Venice, and as with any civ for that matter, CS are better as allies than puppets. So what do? I think I will use geography as the major driver. But I think you are correct that Militaristic CS are the least bad to puppet.

The UA is just plain awful. If you're going to make use of it, you have to realise that you're doing it for flavour . There is no way you can optimise the sub-optimal ;)

There are definitely interesting things that can be done with it on this map, don't get me wrong. But you won't choose the marriages based on what type of CS they are but on location, I would wager.

I like changing my game up for flavor, but let's skip that. Is the UA really worse than nothing? If you count up the gold value of buildings and units and subtract off the cost of marriage it is a tidy profit!

From that though, subtract the value of 30+ turns of CS ally. Still, it seems to me like it must be a net gain? @consentient, on your tier thread you got plenty of push back from the Austria fans -- but nothing that I recall as persuasive. And no math.

OK well my argument here contains mild spoilers

Spoiler :
My strategy for this game was to:

1. Ally the CS around me so as to dissuade Attila and make it harder for him to get at me. If I had bought them, it would have been my cities he was smashing, and my resources he was breaking. I'd be responsible for the units, rather than just using them as the gifts they were because I didn't care.

2. Ally the cultural CS so I could have a HUGE number of policies. Had I married them I would have completely lost this, and on an Ice Age map, who WANTS some city in a particular place where you won't have...

You know what, I can do a more terse job than that:

You don't get to choose what buildings or units they are, or where the cities are placed, and you lose massive benefits. There is no net gain, IMO.

If you want units, then build them. For a Domination game using the UA, Austria aren't terrible, but on most maps (not this one), 3 city Liberty self-founded is gonna be > marriages.

When I think about it, Austrian UA is really kind of bad. I suppose the Religious CS are the least bad to marry, anything else and you're pretty much shooting yourself in the foot as you are generally better off building and growing own cities AND have CS bonuses as well.

@Blatc: If you marry a Mercantile CS, they lose their unique lux and only retain the one they have visible on the map anyway. I think that bit was hard coded

I haven't played a full game of civ in many moths. Here I am at about 140 doing the CS military creep. Tradition>Honor with a gold focus.

Spoiler :
I'll be buying that sweet military CS and using the units to punish Babylon for spawning next to me

The UA has some merit during late game domination with powerful economy. Marry CS at the other end of the world close to enemy capitals. Rushbuy airport + 10 air repair bombers/stealth. Bomb the capitals and snipe them with paratroops/xcoms.

Earlier wise it has flexibility - based on position relative to potential warfront and CS army size/composition. Marrying 4-5 extra galleas/frigates/privateers on a water map when bee-lining navigation can be a huge gain for example. Same for well positioned 3-4 cannons CS when rushing artillery.

Best synergy with H-C-A : during war phase you can afford to acquire forward bases (sometimes across continents ) to spam highly promoted troops "behind enemy lines" .. Not something to be used early - but mid to late game to get big jump in military strength near vulnerable AI position and a well developed city.

Been a few months of civ but I might give this map a try this weekend ..

Let's say it is turn 80 and a Militaristic CS has 8 units. You can ally and marry 5 turns later. How many turns would it be before you accumulated 8 units through allying? If you're going domination, I'm thinking it would make more sense to marry, upgrade, and get right to war (maybe wait for machinery).

I played around with this a bit and main issues I faced were drops in happiness as you add these cities and drops in gold due to unit maintenance.

Cultural - seems like a huge drop in culture from ally to marriage. Culture is usually a weak point for me; probably the CS I'm least likely to marry
Religious - likely a big drop in faith output, but not as important as culture and something you can ignore and still have a strong game; seems a good choice
Mercantile - if you're losing the unique luxury, it makes sense to ally and maintain as allies to help cover for drops in happiness as you marry the other CS
Maritime - I'm usually more in need of happiness to deal with growing population/# of cities than food and I seldom ally Maritime anyway, so with good dirt/location Maritime goes higher on my list to marry
Militaristic - probably my first choice to marry, all else being equal; I believe they tend to have more units, but could be wrong

Of course, an amazing location could override everything above, ex. Fountain of Youth.

I think favourable CS to marry would have:
-unique luxury
-can connect to capital - mainly thinking of the gold
-able to send caravan or cargo ship to at least 1 other city you control
-weren't recently in a war (lost units, pillaging). If they have more units than you want, you can delete and get small amount of gold anyway
-en route to next target (Domination)

Edit to add: biggest question for me is how to get the economy to take off in the first 100 turns so I can use this UA? I guess, target Currency earlier...

Turn 100 might be too soon. Maybe go to war pillage a few cities (and units if honor) and then marry if conditions met (happy reserve, gold reserve, big army in good spot). Honor finisher leads to snowball (more units to kill/pillage more to buy even more units) - injecting a significant number of units at the right time might accelerate the process ..

Guess the dirtiest way to do it would be to sell crap captured cities and use the gold to marry :) .

Top Bottom