Deity Domination - Annex/Puppet/Raze?

Prime Meridian

Chieftain
Can any of you more experienced bloodthirsty ones give a quick rundown of what you do with captured cities during a deity domination game?

What I mostly seem to do is raze any city that doesn't have a wonder or a luxury that I didn't already have, and puppet cities that have either of those until later when I can either afford to buy a courthouse or it won't take too many turns to build one.

What tips do you guys have for this?

Well obviously you should never annex right away because of the resistance period. Then you should also annex only if you have a comfortable cushion of happiness until the courthouse is built.

My suggestion is to use puppets only as a transition toward annexing. Unitl you can do it. Better control on what you produce with it are in my opinion worth the culture penalty.

The cities you should keep are:
-Well developped cities, already hapiness/science/production buildings with decent pop.
-Strategic cities. Ressources or position (for citadel bombing or aircraft placement or healing for example)

You should raze all the rest. Poorly placed, underdevelopped, happiness drains etc.
Late game warfare with an ideology however also allow you to have a lot more happiness sources making puppet/annex more likely than early game conquest.

Depends on how one likes to play but there's always the raze & sell option. The AI values cities very highly and especially so if they already share border with that city. The perks are cash/gpt/no tech penalty/no unhappiness and the worst cities are a drain to the AI. Usually the best option is if they'll continue razing it. The downsides are warmonger penalty and possibly unfortunate loss of tiles as city keeps all of its pre GG bombed tiles.

In my own opinion, going for domination greatly increases the percentage of time you'd be hitting the raze button compared to going for a peaceful type.
Basically, they'll be a lower percentage of cities on spots valuable for resources this way after you've already taken a few capitals.

Yes, unless you have gone Order and already have the tenet that grants a free courthouse to future cities immediately annexed then never initially annex.

One thing Acken didn't mention is having a' spawn' city very close to the front where you can buy troops to finish of the battle. A lot of the time, it doesn't even need a courthouse, just let the revolt end and rush buy as many of Barracks, Armoury, Military Academy as you can afford

The downsides are warmonger penalty and possibly unfortunate loss of tiles as city keeps all of its pre GG bombed tiles.

Razing does not have a warmonger penalty. Maybe it should, but annex/puppet/raze are the same on that score.

I could've worded it better but I was barely alive nevermind awake. Downside in this case is a reference to taking a city vs not taking it at all.

Top Bottom